Thread: Hard Starting 2CT

Van Fan
    My Van(s):
    1988 MasterAce Surf

Hard Starting 2CT

Recently, my 2CT has become hard starting. I've been pretty good about adding anti-gel conditioner to the fuel. Last week, it really didn't want to start, it took me about 20 minutes to get it to run. I figured it was because of the cold weather and I hadn't run it at all the day before. Since then, it hasn't really been cold, but the engine has been a bit hard starting and idles rough for about 20 seconds. I figure it's missing on 1 or more cylinders until the cylinder temp gets up enough for a good combustion.

Without any diagnostics, I'm thinking one or more glow plugs may have become weak or gone bad. Anybody have any insight on part numbers or where to find glow plugs for these engines?

Van Fan
    My Van(s):
    1989 cargo conversion

Re: Hard Starting 2CT

not sure if it helps i had similar symptoms but with damp / wet conditions. i replaced dist cap, rotor, spark plugs, plug wires and dist cap gasket and it solved my issues.

Van Fan
    My Van(s):
    1988 MasterAce Surf

Quote Originally Posted by PNW vanwagon View Post
    not sure if it helps i had similar symptoms but with damp / wet conditions. i replaced dist cap, rotor, spark plugs, plug wires and dist cap gasket and it solved my issues.
    I appreciate the reply. I have a diesel engine, and it doesn't have any of those parts.

Van Fan
    My Van(s):
    1988 Master Ace Surf 4wd

I have been having similar issues with mine. Been in pretty cold weather for the last week (lows in the teens at night) and my van starts easily but misses and smokes like a chimney until it gets a little bit of heat into it. I'm hoping its just the cold temperatures as it runs great and doesn't smoke at all once up to temp.

You might check rock auto for glow plugs as I'm sure they are the same as used on the diesel Camry's that used the 2CT.

Van Fan
    My Van(s):
    1988 MasterAce Surf

Quote Originally Posted by Duke View Post
    I have been having similar issues with mine. Been in pretty cold weather for the last week (lows in the teens at night) and my van starts easily but misses and smokes like a chimney until it gets a little bit of heat into it. I'm hoping its just the cold temperatures as it runs great and doesn't smoke at all once up to temp.

You might check rock auto for glow plugs as I'm sure they are the same as used on the diesel Camry's that used the 2CT.
    Recently, I spent several hours looking for a part number for glow plugs. RockAuto does have some, but I could not match up any numbers. I was able to cross reference a few manufacturers and found a supplier in Ireland, Mick's Garage, that carried NGK glow plugs. They are on the way, with a delivery window of Jan 23 - Feb 15. I posted a few of the glow plug part numbers in the Part Numbers thread, but here they are:
    Glow Plugs for 2CT:
    TOYOTA 1985064031
    BERU 0100226475
    NGK 7782
    BOSCH 0250202095

Side note, my van doesn't smoke like a freight train, but it does put out a bit of whitish smoke until the idle smooths out. If the glow plugs aren't the issue, I will start looking at the injectors. I haven't found any rebuild parts for the injectors, but that Mick's Garage has injector and injection pump parts as well.

Van Obsessed
    My Van(s):
    1988 4WD LE auto dual range t-case (the mistress) 1988 4WD LE auto(the donut van)

I don't know what access to the glowplug is like on the diesel van but testing them is pretty straightforward. The simplest way is to disconnect them all and then use a test light. Clip the test light to positive battery power and then probe the electrical terminal of each glowplug. If it doesn't light up then the glowplug is open and should be replaced. They can Also be tested with an ohmmeter. One probe should be on the threads and the other on the terminal. Resistance should be less than 6 ohms. If all the glowplugs check out than you'll want to look at the glowplug controller.

Forum Newbie
    My Van(s):
    1992 liteace fxv 4wd 1992 townace limited 4wd-parts van

Have you changed the fuel filters white smoke is usually fuel related.