Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Parting out 4x4 TV

My Van(s):
    1988 4x4 Van Formerly: 1986 Cargo Van Parted Out: 1989 4x4 Van, 1987 4x4 Van, 1986 Van

PARTING OUT: 1987 4x4 TV (Automatic LE)

Ohh it's true, it's damn true! I have secured another 4x4 van that was destined for the crusher. I drove down to Bisbee, AZ, for this beauty and, unfortunately for her, she got the worst of both worlds; Northeastern rust and Southern Arizona sun damage. The guy I bought it from had practically no knowledge on how he came to possess this van or what is wrong with it but insisted that the engine and drivetrain were good. Best I can tell, it was originally from Massachusetts, and eventually made its way out to the Southwest, where a decade-plus in the Arizona sun and some broken windows led to her being in the sad state she is in today. People before me had picked a few parts off it (alternator, air cleaner hose, battery) so I wasn't able to try to turn it over but the oil looked good so, unless someone locked the engine up, it *should* be salvageable. And with the odometer reading just short of 165,000 miles, she's barely broken in! Aside from the interior, which is horrid (I didn't even bother photographing it, that's how bad it is), the van is about 85% complete in all its 4x4 glory. Ok, I've talked enough, lets see what she looks like!

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

Now for anyone who remembers or anyone newer who has concerns about credibility/legitimacy, I have done this before, and dozens of parts made it out to other members here to help keep their vans on the road. I am truly indebted to this site and Tim for allowing such a community and database of information to exist, and as such a percentage of each sale will go towards site maintenance and server costs. I'm hoping everyone can tell that the vans I've been parting out are firmly in the "parts car" stage and don't think I'm cannibalizing restorable vans to make a quick buck. Preservation of these vans is the name of the game at this point, and this was worth much more in parts than it was in scrap.

BASIC INFO:
    - 1987 4x4 Toyota Van LE (automatic)
    - 164,xxx miles
    - Model code: YR31LG-PQEA

RULES:
    - Paypal or Venmo only
    - PM or reply in thread with what part(s) you need and I'll respond as quickly as I can
    - The body is shot so unless there is some plastic or some small trim pieces you need I wouldn't even bother asking to ship it.
    - I do work full-time so it may take a week or so to pull the part you need.
    - If the piece is too big/heavy/awkward to ship conventionally you must be willing to help me make appropriate arrangements.
    - GLASS: I don't know how to ship it, but both sliders and door glass is good. I don't need it, so hopefully someone is willing to take it off my hands for next to nothing + a lot in shipping.

Unlike last time, I am at my permanent address, so I will have ample time to thoroughly part this thing out. Also, all parts are fair-game, including igniter, 4x4 auto radiator, sliding door handle, all the desirable stuff. I only needed a few parts off of this, which I'll note in the "sold/unavailable" post below.

Thanks for looking,

- Perry
    Last edited by AD2101; 02-12-2019 at 07:31 AM.

My Van(s):
    1988 4x4 Van Formerly: 1986 Cargo Van Parted Out: 1989 4x4 Van, 1987 4x4 Van, 1986 Van

Re: PARTING OUT: 1987 4x4 TV

RESERVED FOR SOLD/UNAVAILABLE PARTS:

GONE:
    - Cornering lens (both sides)
    - Coolant overflow reservoir
    - Rear quarter panel glass
    - Automatic transmission solenoid
    - Gauge cluster

If part is not listed above, feel free to PM or respond in thread!

Van Enthusiast
    My Van(s):
    '88 4x4 5 speed manual

Re: Parting out 4x4 TV

would love to get these items please. I couldn't seem to attached images to PM so sending general reply.

Most are small items with just a couple screws so should be quick and easy :0

Circled in red
    - Heater unit (complete with spider controls)
    - corner trim pieces from windshield
    - step light unit complete with box and plastic clip that clicks into box
    - driver door and passenger door kick light units (wired clip + grey box + plastic cover pieces in pic below)
    - short aluminum trim piece
    - rear window wiper fluid squirter thingy
    - left rear backup light, complete light assembly or if not available then just outside clear plastic cover (if not cracked)
    - plastic finger grip on drivers door
    - drivers seat latch (left - see pic)

Not shown/circled
    - Drivers Door Red Light if not cracked
    - *** sliding windows rubber seals, both sides (if not cracked shrunk)
    - lighter (my missing one is in rear, but I think it is the same as front)
    - If the fabric is GREY (not blue) then I would love to get a bunch to repair my drivers seat
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by cpginkpt; 02-13-2019 at 09:11 AM.

Forum Newbie
    My Van(s):
    88 cargo van silver .. the buggy 87 4WD standard passenger burgundy 88 2WD automatic passenger "Ellie" obviously 87 4WD cargo blue jaymoble

Re: PARTING OUT: 1987 4x4 TV (Automatic LE)

Hey Perry

small items I would love to have are the latch and spring parts that are on the inside of the gas tank door flap . I have the release arm and cable etc but my body man lost the parts around the gas cap when he was painting it. It's the pressure spring attached to the vast and little black plastic bit that attaches to the cover/door.
    thanks

My Van(s):

I've gotten quite a few PMs in addition to the replies here, keep the requests coming! Work is hectic this week but I'm going to be wrenching on the van all day Saturday, I'm hoping to have pulled all requested parts and responded back to each member with pictures that evening.

My Van(s):
    Blue 88 Van LE 4WD 5MT @240k - - Blue 91 Previa DX AWD 5Spd @315k White 91 Previa LE AWD Auto@385k Blue 91 Previa DX AWD 5Spd @224k (parts van)

Hi AD2101, thanks for offering these up on here!

I need the LH plastic lens cover shown here, but looks like cpginkpt may have already claimed it. I'll take the RH one if so and will make it work on the left.
    20190203_170938.jpg

Also need the door pocket liner on the RH door shown here:
    20190110_144030-reduced.jpg

These red reflector light covers. Both sides are cracked but driver's side is the worst (could use both sides though if not cracked):
    20190110_144130.jpg

Need this RH orange side light cover:
    20190203_171120.jpg

RH (passenger side) head lamp shown here:
    20190203_171104.jpg

Front LH wiper nut cover if it's still there:
    20190110_144106.jpg

OTHER PARTS NOT PICTURED:
    I also need the RH tail light as mine is off of an older van with the 4 colors instead of 3. Also need RH arm rest off the passenger seat, or at least the foam. Mine has been totally destroyed. Also could use the ignition coil if it's still good. And if you still have the right rear quarter panel glass and can figure out shipping, I may be interested in that too if shipping isn't too crazy, since mine is pretty cracked.

Thanks again!
    Last edited by batook; 02-13-2019 at 11:01 AM.

Van Enthusiast
    My Van(s):
    '88 4x4 5 speed manual

Ha! - well yes, actually the first 3 parts you asked for were also on my (cpg) list ;)....

I only need 1 of each tho, so we can split them as long as both are good ;)

I also have a right armrest if you need it - will dm you pics later today.

Chris

My Van(s):
    Blue 88 Van LE 4WD 5MT @240k - - Blue 91 Previa DX AWD 5Spd @315k White 91 Previa LE AWD Auto@385k Blue 91 Previa DX AWD 5Spd @224k (parts van)

Quote Originally Posted by cpginkpt View Post
    Ha! - well yes, actually the first 3 parts you asked for were also on my (cpg) list ;)....

I only need 1 of each tho, so we can split them as long as both are good ;)

I also have a right armrest if you need it - will dm you pics later today.

Chris
    Ah cool, yeah I saw you needed the plastic door pocket/finger grip liner but on the driver's door, whereas I need the passenger side. Hopefully both are still good. I also only need the lens cover on the backup light on the hatch (light assembly is still good), so I think I can use the other side there.

Thanks for offering the arm rest; I'll check the pics once you send them. -Eric

My Van(s):

PMs have been sent to everyone that has reached out to me, either through PM or in this thread, so check your inboxes!

A quick update;

This van is busted, I way over-estimated how "there" the van is. Nearly every piece of plastic was dry rotted or flat out broken, and this thing is as much rust as it is metal at this point. Even with this, I'm still just getting started. Anyways, time for more photos! This is how the van looks as of today:

5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

As you can see, I tossed, picked, and pulled a literal ton of parts, here are some of the more noteworthy parts I've snagged so far if anyone is interested:

8.jpg

4x4 fan shroud (complete) willing to sell complete or just the bottom since that's usually the piece missing

9.jpg

10.jpg

Sliding door handle (no cracks)

11.jpg

Igniter

12.jpg

Throttle body

13.jpg

Rear driver's side 4x4 mud flap

14.jpg

Misc. front end lights and trim

Shoot me a PM if you're interested in ANY parts, not just what is shown.

- Perry

My Van(s):
    89' TownAce Auto SuperExtra 87' 4x4 5spd LE 87’ 4x4 5spd Cargo

AD2101,

Thats some nice glaaassss!!

Thank you for posting your progress and photos

JDM

My Van(s):
    1987 4WD Automatic

P.M. sent.
    "You came in that thing?... You're braver than I thought!" - Princess Leia

Van Fan
    My Van(s):
    The White Buffalo - '87 4WD 5sp window cargo

I'd love to buy one or both of the rear center caps, if they are the same as the one in this photo - plastic, made to look like the front hubs (my van has manual front hubs, not sure if the back ones are the same on a 4wd with auto hubs). I couldn't quite see in any of the photos if they were present or not.

Thanks!

IMG_9923.jpg

My Van(s):
    89' TownAce Auto SuperExtra 87' 4x4 5spd LE 87’ 4x4 5spd Cargo

AD2101,

does this van van have the Aisin manual locking front hubs?

Thank you

JDM

My Van(s):

Quote Originally Posted by VanDown View Post
    I'd love to buy one or both of the rear center caps
    Caps are missing, sorry :(

Quote Originally Posted by JDM VANMAN View Post
    does this van van have the Aisin manual locking front hubs?
    No, they're the finicky autolocking hubs.

In other news, the first paid for orders are boxed up and ready to ship, members who have already paid will get tracking information on Monday. I've had some more part requests so I'm hoping to get in contact with all of those people by this time Sunday but otherwise, keep the requests coming!

EDIT: Mods, do the posts automatically lock after a certain amount of time and you're unable to edit them? I can't edit my second post in this thread, which is to note which parts have been sold/junked in order to try to cut down on multiple requests and save time. Otherwise, I'll have to make a new post every time something sells, which ads to the clutter.

My Van(s):
    1985 5-sp cargo (Trustyvan) . . . . 1989 5-sp 4WD DLX (Skylervan)

Quote Originally Posted by AD2101 View Post
    Mods, do the posts automatically lock after a certain amount of time and you're unable to edit them? I can't edit my second post in this thread, which is to note which parts have been sold/junked in order to try to cut down on multiple requests and save time. Otherwise, I'll have to make a new post every time something sells, which ads to the clutter.
    Yeah, unfortunately we had to do that. A few people (in the past) decided to remove technical content.

I can't extend the edit time for the non-technical forums — one setting fits all. So you'll need to make a new post each time you have a new list of sold parts, unfortunately.

Gwen
    1985 5-speed window cargo van set up for llama haulin'; 345K ("Trustyvan")
    1989 4WD 5-speed DLX; 410K and an odd sense of humor ("Skylervan")

My Van(s):
    1989 4x4 LE

Hey, boss!

My slding door is pretty banged up and I'm also looking for the fuel sender.

Either of those still available?

Thanks!

My Van(s):

SOLD!:
    - All gas door parts
    - Fan shroud
    - Speedo cable and housing
    - Windshield trim
    - Hood latches
    - Rear cigarette lighter
    - Left rear back up light assembly
    - All interior lens covers
    - Passenger side exterior LE Trim

I'm replying to all PMs tonight and making room in my inbox so if we have business pending and I haven't gotten back to you, please message me! It's not intentional, there's been a lot of interest in parts so it's possible I may have missed a message.

Quote Originally Posted by Warhound_Titan View Post
    Hey, boss!

My slding door is pretty banged up and I'm also looking for the fuel sender.
    Both are still available! I'll send a PM tomorrow with pictures. Freight shipping for the entire door would be a pretty penny, but if you can get past that then I think we can arrange something.

EDIT: Batook! Delete some PMs!!
    Last edited by AD2101; 02-26-2019 at 11:21 PM.

Van Fan
    My Van(s):
    2003 Eurovan & 88 Toyota 4x4 Van

I need the panel cover that covers the left rear jack kit, and the left arm rest from the front passenger seat. Are either of these items still a available?

My Van(s):
    1986 Toyota Silver Cargo Van.

Is the battery hold down still available? Also curious if the small, square plastic "+" box (in the engine compartment next to the air filter) is available, too.

Van Enthusiast
    My Van(s):
    '88 4x4 5 speed manual

MackD - I have a jack panel cover and a (torn) armrest if you can't get it here.