Thread: Inspecting the Wiring

Van Fan
    My Van(s):
    1987 Toyota Van Wagon Automatic 2WD

Inspecting the Wiring

Hello all,

I've recently run into issues with a somewhat rough idle (seems like a small burble or maybe an occasional misfire) and upon inspection some of my wires really do look pretty crummy. So, first and foremost, I was wondering which wires I should pay close attention to and attempt to replace and also what to look for when inspecting wiring/connectors (I'm REALLY new to dealing with electrics in cars/vans; after working on my own stuff for around 3 years now I've got the confidence to dive into it but honestly don't know what I'm looking for when inspecting wiring, so any advice would be appreciated).

A friend pointed out that the wire on the back-side of the coolant filler neck looked pretty crummy, so this is what sparked this curiosity. Also, how hard would wiring be to get for a 4ye (1987 cargo van)?

As always thanks in advance y'all!

Van Obsessed
    My Van(s):
    88 4WD DLX 5spd

Re: Inspecting the Wiring

Hey Tennessee
    Welcome aboard

Unfortunately "some of my wires really do look pretty crummy" isn't sufficient justification to start replacing wiring. There are really good and valid reason to replace wiring but "looks" really isn't part of the criteria.

Wiring that is damaged will show telltales, things like discoloured insulation (usually of a brownish hue) and a wire that is unusually stiff is also a good indication that problems are afoot. Also checking resistance of circuits can also be beneficial at times.
    Obvious damage (chaffing...) does need to be addressed.
    New harnesses are not available, anywhere and they haven't been for a LONG time.
    That leaves repairing what you have or finding a donor at the local P&P.

IF you are having drivability issues, you should always start with checking codes and work your way out from there.
    When dealing with issues it is always best to diagnose your issues before going and looking for trouble.

Don't worry about finding things to fix or to spend (all) your money on, that will come all too soon
    Best to start with spending money on things you actually NEED.
    Once you get past those items, if you have anything left at all, then you can start on the "wouldn't it be nice" repairs

And please remember to use the search function.
    Its all there, just waiting to be discovered!

Van Fan
    My Van(s):
    1987 Toyota Van Wagon Automatic 2WD

Re: Inspecting the Wiring

Quote Originally Posted by Burntboot View Post
    Hey Tennessee
    Welcome aboard

Unfortunately "some of my wires really do look pretty crummy" isn't sufficient justification to start replacing wiring. There are really good and valid reason to replace wiring but "looks" really isn't part of the criteria.

Wiring that is damaged will show telltales, things like discoloured insulation (usually of a brownish hue) and a wire that is unusually stiff is also a good indication that problems are afoot. Also checking resistance of circuits can also be beneficial at times.
    Obvious damage (chaffing...) does need to be addressed.
    New harnesses are not available, anywhere and they haven't been for a LONG time.
    That leaves repairing what you have or finding a donor at the local P&P.

IF you are having drivability issues, you should always start with checking codes and work your way out from there.
    When dealing with issues it is always best to diagnose your issues before going and looking for trouble.

Don't worry about finding things to fix or to spend (all) your money on, that will come all too soon
    Best to start with spending money on things you actually NEED.
    Once you get past those items, if you have anything left at all, then you can start on the "wouldn't it be nice" repairs

And please remember to use the search function.
    Its all there, just waiting to be discovered!
    Yeah I figured availability would be an option. A Facebook group I'm part of always has stuff on hand though for fairly cheap (second-hand stuff from P&Ps). I just want to get this thing as close to reliable as possible and figured ensuring my wiring was sound might be a good first step...

I'm really lost on this rough idle issue... It just kind burbles and sputters ever so slightly when idling, but runs as smooth as silk when I'm driving. Here's a link to a video of the rough idle: https://photos.app.goo.gl/AiLvafpTQj3NaFAH8

I have issues using the search here. It never seems to uncover what I need. I'll try and figure it out...