Thread: Console Ice maker/Fridge

Forum Newbie
    My Van(s):
    No Vans

Console Ice maker/Fridge

Hello everyone. My first post so here goes...
    Actually, sorry I don't have a van - wish I did
    But I do have a 62 series cruiser and I'm trying to retrofit a centre console fridge/ice maker
    I've searched the cruiser forums to no avail, and then stumbled upon the fact that Toyota also made these units for vans, which leads me here!
    I've got all the pipes for the gas connect, but there are 4 electrical connections. The colours are: Yellow Green White/Yellow White/Black
    Alas my loom in the vehicle doesn't have this connection
    From weeks of trawling the net (and common sense), I think I've established that one is positive, another negative (probably W/B) - yeah, well thats not exactly genius
    A third goes to the main AC amplifier (which I don't think has anything to do with the stereo ;)
    And the 4th goes to the er..umm...er wherever a 4th needs to go connection kind of thing
    As you can see, I am completely baffled and the amazing resource that is the www doesn't seem to contain that info either, or not that I could find
    So my question is, do any of you fine van loving people have either a circiut diagram or human knowledge of how to connect one these 4 wires things up?
    I've got a dream of me on a 105 degree day in the Australian outback sipping on a cocktail with ice
    I've also got an image of burnt wires and ruined amplifier ( but I'd rather not go there )
    I'll send you a picture of a beer in the console - and I'll mail you the can if it gets cold!!!
    All the very best with your Vans!!!!

My Van(s):
    Lots of them

Re: Console Ice maker/Fridge

On the van, the ice maker electrical components consist of a switch, a fan motor, a thermistor, and a dedicated amplifier. When it comes to hooking one up in another vehicle it gets a little complicated due to the way it's wired. Basically all the ice maker's electrical components are wired to and controlled by it's internal amplifier. The ice maker amplifier is then wired to the main AC amplifier. If I were attempting what you are, I would take the AC amplifier out of a van, then compare to the Land Cruiser's AC amplifier. If you're lucky, you might be able to install the Van's AC amplifier into the Land Cruiser, then you'd have the necessary connection point for the Van's ice maker. Of course there are several unknowns and this would be pretty much a shot in the dark.

To make it function correctly (as intended) you would need to get the factory electrical diagram books for both vehicles so you could match it up to the electrical/AC circuits correctly. You will also need to evac the Freon and perform plumbing mods to your A/C system. IMHO all of this would be PITA and an expensive waste of time. Toyota's AC driven ice makers are somewhat of a novelty item, very small, and impractical. There are several aftermarket 12vdc only models out there now that would function much better and would be way, way easier to install. Another side benefit is efficiency (they won't kill your MPG by running the AC compressor). I did a quick Google search and came up with several possibilities. Here is just one of the many places these can be found. Good luck. Tim

http://bit.ly/wh3WJW