Thread: new exhaust => low idle

Van Enthusiast
    My Van(s):
    '88 4x4 5 speed manual

new exhaust => low idle

Got a new catalytic and muffler. The cat is a Walker from Rock auto, but my exhaust shop had to fabricate some pipe and said he ended up using a muffler from a Honda Civic.

The muffler pipe is definitely small and I can see the connection from the cat to the muffler is downsized (pic)

When I picked it up I notice it idles much lower - HOWEVER he also has not hooked back up the downstream O2 sensor yet since he got the wring sized flange and had to order..

So I am wondering - is the low idle from the missing O2 (we will put it in next week) OR is it perhaps from the downsized muffler pipe?

Thanks.

'88 4x4 5 sp
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Van Fan
    My Van(s):
    95 Previa SC, RWD, Auto

Re: new exhaust => low idle

At what RPM is it idling?

Did the battery get disconnected? Any other work done up front? vacuum leaks?

So you have TWO O2 sensors in 88? cali emissions I take it? downstream should have no effect on the idle, it's only there to verify the cat is working.

It's unlikely the smaller muffler is causing a lower idle, while it may be more restrictive, idle is when it matters the least.
    -Russell
    "You don't get to judge me for how I fix what you break"
    -95 Previa SC RWD
    -05 Subaru Baja Turbo, 03 Subaru Baja NA, 01 BMW R1200c, 94 Firebird v8, 70 VW Beetle

Van Enthusiast
    My Van(s):
    '88 4x4 5 speed manual

sub 1K on the idle.

I think you answered it for me. No affect due to smaller pipe and the downstream cat will not affect idle, so I will get the exhaust work completed and look into other options after that.

It was decent idle (1100-1200) before the work done except for when I turn the heater on it would dip to 1K, so exhaust work could just be a coincidence I guess.

Van Obsessed
    My Van(s):
    1988 4WD LE auto dual range t-case (the mistress) 1988 4WD LE auto(the donut van)

11-1200 rpm at idle is too high. Idle speed should be 750 for A/T and 700 for M/T.

Van Enthusiast
    My Van(s):
    '88 4x4 5 speed manual

ah, got it. Pretty sure she would stall at that low an idle currently - guessing I'll brush up on the "low idle" and "leaky vacuum hoses" thread ;)

Van Fan
    My Van(s):
    95 Previa SC, RWD, Auto

Quote Originally Posted by cpginkpt View Post
    ah, got it. Pretty sure she would stall at that low an idle currently - guessing I'll brush up on the "low idle" and "leaky vacuum hoses" thread ;)
    lol That was going to be my suggestion: fix what causes it to run poorly at proper idle.
    -Russell
    "You don't get to judge me for how I fix what you break"
    -95 Previa SC RWD
    -05 Subaru Baja Turbo, 03 Subaru Baja NA, 01 BMW R1200c, 94 Firebird v8, 70 VW Beetle