Thread: Driver's power window repeatedly falling out of track

Van Fan
    My Van(s):
    1988 Toyota van LE

Driver's power window repeatedly falling out of track

Hey all, searched best I could and didn't find a topic on this. Is the window supposed to be rigidly attached to the bottom track somehow? I'm not sure if it's just the rubber tracks on the sides of the window creating enough friction for the window to pull out of the bottom track or if something is supposed to be holding it in. I've tried using some grease on the rubber to allow the window to move with less friction but it still sticks in the tracks. My next move will be thoroughly cleaning all the tracks with alcohol and then using silicon grease to reduce friction. Does anyone have any experience with this issue? Thanks!
    Wrench

Van Fan
    My Van(s):
    1989 cargo conversion

Re: Driver's power window repeatedly falling out of track

when i first got my van the drivers side window (non-power) would occasionally untrack. i opened up the door panel and added a flexible silicone adhesive where the window sits in the track and for good measure gorilla taped the window to the where it sits in the track (at the bottom). that was 2.5 years ago and all has been well. there are a few good youtube tutorial videos - search "car window track"

Van Fan
    My Van(s):
    1988 Toyota van LE

Quote Originally Posted by PNW vanwagon View Post
    when i first got my van the drivers side window (non-power) would occasionally untrack. i opened up the door panel and added a flexible silicone adhesive where the window sits in the track and for good measure gorilla taped the window to the where it sits in the track (at the bottom). that was 2.5 years ago and all has been well. there are a few good youtube tutorial videos - search "car window track"
    thanks! I'll try adding some adhesive when I get around to tackling it.

Van Fan
    My Van(s):
    1988 Toyota van LE

An update for the use of others, opened up the door panels and thoroughly cleaned the rubber seals with rubbing alcohol, added silicon lubricant, no more problems!