Thread: Key Blanks

My Van(s):
    '89 4wd

Key Blanks

Have a 1989 LE. Down to one key and it's in bad shape. There are no key blanks for these things on my island and dealer says they don't have any in the state but can order from out of state for a substantial cost. Need to go 3'rd party and order key blanks.

Anyone have any recommendations on where to find key blanks for these vans? And any part numbers?

Would hate to order then have the wrongs show up. I'm on Hawaii island so they got a long way to fly to get here and what I've found so far costs as much in shipping as it does for the key, more than the Toyota dealers ridiculous pricing. Yes I've tried every box store option we have available as well and even had the box stores call their associated stores on other islands.

My Van(s):
    1985 5-sp cargo (Trustyvan) . . . . 1989 5-sp 4WD DLX (Skylervan)

Re: Key Blanks

Spouse says he is pretty sure the blank is TR25 (Hillman). He can't remember the Ilco number off the top of his head.

FWIW.

Gwen
    1985 5-speed window cargo van set up for llama haulin'; 345K ("Trustyvan")
    1989 4WD 5-speed DLX; 410K and an odd sense of humor ("Skylervan")

Van Obsessed
    My Van(s):
    1988 4WD LE auto dual range t-case (the mistress) 1988 4WD LE auto(the donut van)

These are what I have for my two '88 vans.
    Attached Images Attached Images   

My Van(s):
    89' TownAce Auto SuperExtra 87' 4x4 5spd LE 87’ 4x4 5spd Cargo

Here the key types I’m using for my 87’ and 89’

TR25 and TR37

JDM

Van Obsessed
    My Van(s):
    1988 4WD LE auto dual range t-case (the mistress) 1988 4WD LE auto(the donut van)

I also have a Curtis branded TR38.

My Van(s):

Last week when I was going to my barber I stopped in to talk with the locksmith next to the barber shop, he’s made keys for all my vehicles including my Yakima racks which came with no keys. I asked to purchase blank keys but he said he couldn’t sell them as blanks, I explained that they weren’t available on the island but he said they are readily available and the locksmith just needs to order them.

Have you had any luck on finding some blanks or has your locksmith ordered some for you?

JDM

My Van(s):
    '89 4wd

Quote Originally Posted by JDM VANMAN View Post
    Last week when I was going to my barber I stopped in to talk with the locksmith next to the barber shop, he’s made keys for all my vehicles including my Yakima racks which came with no keys. I asked to purchase blank keys but he said he couldn’t sell them as blanks, I explained that they weren’t available on the island but he said they are readily available and the locksmith just needs to order them.

Have you had any luck on finding some blanks or has your locksmith ordered some for you?

JDM
    Thanks. Yes. I ended up ordering a lot of 10 ILCO TR25s off of an ebay seller for $10.

My Van(s):

Daaaaang!! $10 for 10 key blanks, nice score!!!

JDM

Forum Newbie
    My Van(s):
    '86 2wd Cargo / '89 Isuzu Trooper

I had a couple TR40 keys made last year for my 86 cargo. They work great! Found them at the local mom and pop Ace Hardware, which is always a plus.

My Van(s):
    1985 Toyota Van

I keep breaking Ilco keys. They twist off at the base. Lubed the locks and it slowed down but someone just unlocked the back with something sting on the latch and it twisted right off.

I have ilco TR25 but don't like the way the key ring slides around or sticks because of the long narrow slit. The keys never seem to sit right and never flowed through the pockets. The locksmith used a TR28 because t had a round hole and shaved the sides a little bit to make it fit. They still fall apart over time it seems.

Is there an better, stronger key blank brand that can be used? Is there a toyota/oem key available still?

one site suggests a few different brands, which is strongest, and has a round/triangle hole.

TR25 - Toyota Key Blade

Cross References:
    Keyport: TR25
    Ilco: TR25
    Cole: TO25
    ESP: TR25
    Jet: TR25-NP

Van Addict
    My Van(s):
    1987 Toyota 4wd Cargo Van

Quote Originally Posted by phychotron View Post
    I keep breaking Ilco keys. They twist off at the base. Lubed the locks and it slowed down but someone just unlocked the back with something sting on the latch and it twisted right off.

I have ilco TR25 but don't like the way the key ring slides around or sticks because of the long narrow slit. The keys never seem to sit right and never flowed through the pockets. The locksmith used a TR28 because t had a round hole and shaved the sides a little bit to make it fit. They still fall apart over time it seems.

Is there an better, stronger key blank brand that can be used? Is there a toyota/oem key available still?

one site suggests a few different brands, which is strongest, and has a round/triangle hole.

TR25 - Toyota Key Blade

Cross References:
    Keyport: TR25
    Ilco: TR25
    Cole: TO25
    ESP: TR25
    Jet: TR25-NP

My key is stamped Taiwan... triangle hole TR-25 and it's a strong mo-fo.

Forum Newbie
    My Van(s):
    87 LE 4WD Manual

And if you want to get a fresh key cut and can find your key code, I had this eBay seller (rfurtado1) cut a key from the key code: https://www.ebay.com/itm/253273848731
    You have to order a key blank from him as well, so the whole thing came to $24 for one key (which I can now take to a local locksmith to have my other blanks cut). The local dealer couldn't cut a key from the key code because the van was so old it wasn't in their system anymore. Even though I already had the code - they couldn't enter it, or the machine wouldn't recognize it? Who knows, it was easier to just order it and be done with than keep trying other dealers.

My Van(s):
    1985 Toyota Van

I ended up getting 2 vintage 'cole' TO25 blanks from ebay for $5. They aren't stamped cole like my original key is but it feels MUCH stronger than the newer ilco stuff I've encountered. It also says Toyota on it.

Name:  20191105_165926.jpg
Views: 550
Size:  78.9 KB

Van Fan
    My Van(s):
    85 2wd 894wd

Quote Originally Posted by phychotron View Post
    I ended up getting 2 vintage 'cole' TO25 blanks from ebay for $5. They aren't stamped cole like my original key is but it feels MUCH stronger than the newer ilco stuff I've encountered. It also says Toyota on it.

Name:  20191105_165926.jpg
Views: 550
Size:  78.9 KB
    you mean TR25

My Van(s):
    1985 Toyota Van

That's what they were listed as on ebay.They didn't say COLE on them or look quite the same, but they feel much stronger. The locksmith messed the first blank up instantly. He went in the back and found a box of TR25's to see if he had anything other than Ilco and he had a bag of Silca TOY 7 blanks with a better hole and stronger feeling. Made in Italy.

Name:  Silca01.jpg
Views: 482
Size:  81.9 KB
    Name:  Silca02.jpg
Views: 375
Size:  81.5 KB