Thread: automatic transmission oil pan - which sealant to use?

Van Fan
    My Van(s):
    toyota van awd 1988

automatic transmission oil pan - which sealant to use?

Hi all,

last year i had to open my automatic transmission oil pan. After the job, i installed a new gasket and i used Permatex gasket sealant (see picture). This sealant has dried and cracked, and now i loose transmission oil from the pan's gasket.

The guy who did the job before i opened oil pan used kind of orange sealant (looked more flexible than the one i used) with no leaks. On the other hand, manual shop says to not use sealant on the gasket....

Is it better to seal it anyway or should i follow Toyota specs and don't use any sealant? If i use sealant, which one is the best for that kind of job?

Thank you
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Van Fan
    My Van(s):
    1988 Toyota van LE

Re: automatic transmission oil pan - which sealant to use?

Quote Originally Posted by filterway View Post
    Hi all,

last year i had to open my automatic transmission oil pan. After the job, i installed a new gasket and i used Permatex gasket sealant (see picture). This sealant has dried and cracked, and now i loose transmission oil from the pan's gasket.

The guy who did the job before i opened oil pan used kind of orange sealant (looked more flexible than the one i used) with no leaks. On the other hand, manual shop says to not use sealant on the gasket....

Is it better to seal it anyway or should i follow Toyota specs and don't use any sealant? If i use sealant, which one is the best for that kind of job?

Thank you
    I recently replaced my ATF filter with a FRAM one and it came with a new tranny pan gasket, I didnt use any sealant and haven't had any problems with leaks.

Van Addict
    My Van(s):
    (2) 1989 2WD LE VAN Wagons

Quote Originally Posted by Wrench View Post
    I recently replaced my ATF filter with a FRAM one and it came with a new tranny pan gasket, I didnt use any sealant and haven't had any problems with leaks.
    You are not supposed to use sealant on the transmission gasket for the mere fact that if any of that sealant material breaks off and gets into the internals of the transmission you could have a vehicle that does not move

Van Fan
    My Van(s):
    1988 Toyota van LE

Quote Originally Posted by JPERL View Post
    You are not supposed to use sealant on the transmission gasket for the mere fact that if any of that sealant material breaks off and gets into the internals of the transmission you could have a vehicle that does not move
    Makes sense!

Van Fan
    My Van(s):
    1988 MasterAce Surf

Most oil/transmission pan gaskets are some type of flexible rubber type material. A silicone sealant isn't really necessary. If you don't have a good rubber gasket to use, Permatex does offer a silicone gasket maker rated for automatic transmissions.