Thread: very high idle after valve cover gasket replaced?

Van Fan
    My Van(s):
    1989 cargo conversion

very high idle after valve cover gasket replaced?

ok guys i could use some help: i had my valve cover gasket replaced today. i've had too much work so had a shop install a new VC gasket. the van's idle is very high after the repair

i don't have a tach on this 89 cargo van. i'm trying to figure out something simple the mechanic could have possibly broken or mucked up near the valve cover. he only had the driver's side seat up - didn't remove the passenger side engine cover (i see the PCV + hose and another hose from valve cover to the throttle body)

could it be the "hose from valve cover to the throttle body"

i did several searches for "high idle" and "idle"

found lots of info but not sure what could have been affected by work done today:
    - stuck throttle cable
    - throttle body
    - air valve
    - VSVs?

i'll continue to search. i'll be in contact with mechanic tomorrow but it'd be great to have an idea of what to possibly look for

thank you thank you!

My Van(s):
    1989 4x4 5 speed dlx 1987 4x4 5 speed cargo 1987 4x4 5 speed LE 1987 2wd 5 speed cargo conversion 1989 2wd auto cargo parts van

Re: very high idle after valve cover gasket replaced?

my guess is a vsv didnt get hooked back up or got broken...dont mess with the 'idle stop' screw as someone on facebook mentioned..

Van Fan
    My Van(s):
    1989 cargo conversion

Re: very high idle after valve cover gasket replaced?

thanks boogieman: it ended up being the cable tension in the throttle cable was set too high. i think the mechanic moved it out of the way and set it wrong after he was done with everything else. took the guy 2 minutes and all was back to as it should be