Thread: Annoying squeak from pop-up sunroof

Van Fan
    My Van(s):
    1988 Toyota van LE

Annoying squeak from pop-up sunroof

Hey all, has anybody ever managed to stop a squeaking pop-up sunroof? It only makes the noise when open. I put penetrating oil on the hinges etc but no change! Any ideas? Thanks

Van Obsessed
    My Van(s):
    88 4WD DLX 5spd

Re: Annoying squeak from pop-up sunroof

Not sure if your dealing with factory or aftermarket, but the theory is the same either way.

If all is quiet with the roof closed then you know the tension imparted by the latches are holding it all secure, noisy when open, there is no tension on the flange and it is likely moving about a wee bit.
    Check all the mounting hardware, something has to be loose/broken to allow movement.

Some people will use caulking/silicone to seal/glue it, while praying to the Goop gods.
    But that option is rarely successful, YMMV.

Van Addict
    My Van(s):
    1986 LE

As I am fine tuning my van I am now trying to get rid of chassies related road noise. One in particular is my from moon roof. The inside plastic slide over rattles when I go over any kind of bump. I have looked into it and it seems that the within the two piece slide the rear one is bumping against the top of the inside of the roof. I can stop it if I shim a rag or card board between the two slides and keep it tight.
    Kind of crude doing that and would rather fix the problem maybe with a cushion on the rear slide.

Can't figure out how to get there.

Anyone have any suggestions on how to get there or a easier fix?

Thanks

MT

Van Fan
    My Van(s):
    1988 Toyota van LE

Quote Originally Posted by MyToy View Post
    As I am fine tuning my van I am now trying to get rid of chassies related road noise. One in particular is my from moon roof. The inside plastic slide over rattles when I go over any kind of bump. I have looked into it and it seems that the within the two piece slide the rear one is bumping against the top of the inside of the roof. I can stop it if I shim a rag or card board between the two slides and keep it tight.
    Kind of crude doing that and would rather fix the problem maybe with a cushion on the rear slide.

Can't figure out how to get there.

Anyone have any suggestions on how to get there or a easier fix?

Thanks

MT
    If you take the clips off the trim around the sunroof you can get between the headliner and the body. I've had some luck reducing rattle by stuffing some foam in there. Not sure it'd put enough pressure on the slide to help but it's worth a go.

Van Addict
    My Van(s):
    1986 LE

Are these clips in the inside or exterior ?

I am not sure I understand.

MT