Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Removing the Air Filter

Van Fan
    My Van(s):
    1988 TV Panel 4x4 5-Speed 1989 TV LE, Dual Sunroof, 2WD Automatic

Re: Removing the Air Filter

So I saw in the thread a mention of cleaning the Throttle-Body while refreshing the air filter. I'll be doing this project soon and plan to create another short film about the process. So, It'd be cool to include the throttle-body cleaning in the vid.

That leads to this query, is there any more advice or comments I should cover about the TB specifically? Any more details to include?
    Also, Is there anything associated with the TB that's especially fragile or prone to cause problems when it's cleaned or handled?

I'll be researching in my manuals tonight as well and Pre-Thanks for any thoughts you folks would like to share.

Van Addict
    My Van(s):
    4x4 Cargo

Tim has a really good write up on cleaning the throttle body here

All the photo links are broken thanks to PhotoBucket, but if you use Google Chrome browser, there is a Chrome extension called "Photobucket Hotlink Fix" that should get them to show up again.
    Space Cruisers - Cruising Across The Galaxy

My Van(s):
    Lots of them

Quote Originally Posted by spacecruisers View Post
    Tim has a really good write up on cleaning the throttle body here

All the photo links are broken thanks to PhotoBucket, but if you use Google Chrome browser, there is a Chrome extension called "Photobucket Hotlink Fix" that should get them to show up again.
    I just checked that article and all pics work for me. The end video was disabled, so I updated it with a youtube video. If you or anybody else have a problem viewing the video or the pics, please let me know and I'll look into it farther. Thanks. Tim

Forum Newbie
    My Van(s):
    1988 toyota van 2wd automatic 1989 toyota van le 4x4 automatic

Does anyone have an air intake I'm thinking about purchasing one any thoughts?

Van Addict
    My Van(s):
    (2) 1989 2WD LE VAN Wagons

IMHO installing an after-market intake is not worth the hassle living in so california with strict emission standards for passing. I cannot see any real measurable benefit modifying the stock intake as a trade off for having a vehicle that may not pass smog.. At the end of the day this is till an engine with peak 101hp at 5400 RPM practically at the redline.

On another note what many don't realize the reason it is getting harder to pass smog in California is that every two years the goal posts for passing emissions is lowered so if you passed by the seat of your pants in 2017 you will fail in 2019 even if the emissions output did not change and with all the liberal tree hugging green new deal blah blah in California you can bet nothing would make the libs happier than to see our vans be decommissioned because they use evil fossil fuels and we will all die in 12 years from climate change, LOL

My Van(s):
    1989 Cargo Van A/T 2WD; 269k on the clock & counting!

Jeez, you guys were NOT kidding when you said the air filter was a P.I.T.A. Considering it was also my first time doing the air filter on any of vehicle, it took me a total of 2 days to do it, and a visit to AutoZone so I could get a mini-ratchet to reach the right screw on the igniter assy. since my ratchet set was too big! Taking off the air intake hose was the only way I could do it properly to clear the air box just enough to slip the old one out and the new one in. Fairly straight forward but jeez, who had the bright idea of putting the igniter assy. ontop of the airbox? Well atleast I got it done, regardless of the complaints... When I do it again, I'll grab a K&N filter and do it much quicker next time!

Van Obsessed
    My Van(s):
    1988 4WD LE auto dual range t-case (the mistress) 1988 4WD LE auto(the donut van)

Don't bother with the K&N, they don't fit right. I put one in mine several years ago but when I changed the airflow meter I found a lot of dirt on the wrong side of the filter housing. After some investigating I found that the filter frame is just undersized enough to not be sufficiently clamped between the two halves of the air cleaner housing. With the soft pliable rubber design of the K&N frame it allowed the filter to pull away on the ends(Presumably under high load/vacuum conditions)allowing unfiltered air to flow around the filter. I even went to the parts store to look at a new K&N thinking maybe I got a flawed part and the new one was the same size. Later I checked it on a neighbors Toyota truck since they called for the same part number and it fit the truck housing just as poorly so I wouldn't recommend using them in those either. I'm pretty sure I have some pics on an old phone or camera from when I pulled it. I'll post them if I find them.

My Van(s):
    1989 Cargo Van A/T 2WD; 269k on the clock & counting!

Huh, well good to know in advance that a K&N filter won't fit. Thanks for that little bit of info, originalkwyjibo.