Thread: Busted Hose and Overheating issue

Forum Newbie
    My Van(s):
    1985 Toyota Van Wagon

Busted Hose and Overheating issue

Hello everyone, got an 85 van 2wd with a busted hose spraying coolant everywhere. This morning on the way to work my temp gauge needle went all the way to the top and coolant reservoir was bubbling and gurgling with lots of steam coming from overfill cap, I’m no stranger to this as my thermostat and radiator had to be replaced and recored to fix that same issue. After doing that I hadn’t had a problem until now.

I was was worried that it was something more serious but after pouring some coolant through the radiator, I noticed one of my hoses was spraying coolant everywhere. In my mind it’s as easy as just replacing that hose but lots of other people on the Toyota van Facebook page are saying head gasket failure. I’m hoping that they’re wrong but then again I’m just a beginner so I’m hoping somewhere on this site someone can give me a straight answer. Here is an attached pic. Thanks
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Van Obsessed
    My Van(s):
    1988 4WD LE auto dual range t-case (the mistress) 1988 4WD LE auto(the donut van)

Re: Busted Hose and Overheating issue

Looks like the rear heater hose. Their are many threads regarding head gaskets and how to diagnose a faure as well as info on diagnosing all over the internet. The only way to know for sure is to perform proper diagnostics or pay someonewho is qualified to do it.

Forum Newbie
    My Van(s):
    1985 Toyota Van Wagon

Re: Busted Hose and Overheating issue

Quote Originally Posted by originalkwyjibo View Post
    Looks like the rear heater hose. Their are many threads regarding head gaskets and how to diagnose a faure as well as info on diagnosing all over the internet. The only way to know for sure is to perform proper diagnostics or pay someonewho is qualified to do it.

I replaced the faulty hose and radiator cap, still overheating can’t even get above 30 mph without the needle shooting way up and the coolant reservoir boiling over. On to the next step