Thread: Engine Service Connector / CEL / ECU on JDM Vans

My Van(s):
    1987 Toyota 4WD Automatic Vanwagon - "The Pale Blue Dot" 1990 JDM Toyota HiAce 4wd Automatic Diesel w/ a DIY camper conversion

Engine Service Connector / CEL / ECU on JDM Vans

Hey JDM VANMAN,

I have a 1989 JDM Master Ace with the 3y-EU gas / fuel injected motor. I am having difficulty determining how to get the check engine light flashing as it's not the same as the domestic vans... it has a small junction box. Also, if you have a reference for the check engine light codes for this van I'd be greatly in debt to you.

Many Thanks!

-Danny-

My Van(s):
    Lots of them

Re: Warning lights

You use a paperclip between terminals TE1 and E1 in that box.......I think. I've never done it on one of those, but I'm pretty sure I read it somewhere. Tim

My Van(s):
    89' TownAce Auto SuperExtra 87' 4x4 5spd LE 87’ 4x4 5spd Cargo

I haven't done this before.... Thank you Tim for chiming in!!

Danny here's a couple of links that may help-

http://www.townace.plus.com/aanswers.htm

This one just make sure you know your chassis number and you can pull your part numbers from here and match them up with what you need locally.

http://www.toyodiy.com

My Van(s):
    1987 Toyota 4WD Automatic Vanwagon - "The Pale Blue Dot" 1990 JDM Toyota HiAce 4wd Automatic Diesel w/ a DIY camper conversion

Many thanks guys! I was able to get the CEL flashing, and it just flashed "1" in longer spaced out flashes like my 87 van.

I was unable to find any info on the codes for this EFI JDM van on the Ace Answers site, any luck on your end JDM VANMAN? It seems I am not throwing any codes at the moment, but I'd like to be able to have it as reference. Perhaps the ECU is similar to my 87? Dunno.

My Van(s):

Danny,

did is you happen to use the same method Tim said to use? As for the ECU I know Tim had posted somewhere that the years are very specific for the model years and you also have to know the original part number that you have in yours.

My Van(s):

Hey JDM VANMAN,

Yes, I used the method Tim described and it worked great. I'll cross reference the JDM ECU part number and get back to you with what I find.

My Van(s):

Quote Originally Posted by Danny View Post
    Hey JDM VANMAN,

Yes, I used the method Tim described and it worked great. I'll cross reference the JDM ECU part number and get back to you with what I find.
    Danny,

I just pulled an ECU yesterday from a TownAce 3YEU yesterday with only 148km=91,000mi I went to wipe up the unit only for all the ink to flake off of it. I can still kind of make out the part number and will post it when I unload my truck. I pulled a ton of hard to find parts from it for spares.

My Van(s):

I was able to make out the imprinted numbers 89661-28091
    Attached Images Attached Images   

My Van(s):

I was able to determine that the JDM ECU does not have the same part number as the Domestic ECUs. That said, I have found that to be the case with several parts that are exactly the same from JDM to Domestic, so who knows what the cross compatibility may be. Keeping my fingers crossed that I'll never need to replace it! That said, it would be nice to know the code chart for the JDM unit. As I mentioned before, I am guessing it is similar to the 84-85 chart, or the 86-87 chart as the "everything's A-OK" single flashing is at a slower speed, unlike the fast flashing of the 88-89. (correct me if I'm wrong).

My Van(s):

Somehow I missed your last post with your part number. Looks like TOYODIY.com says your picked ECU was for a N. American market, with no Japanese crossover. Did you pick this from a domestic van?

My Van(s):

Danny,

I was also thinking that it would be from a 85' series Van being that it's power plant is a 3YEU 2.0 gas engine. But there's so many other other parts from different years on the vehicle so I wasn't sure. As for the code chart I believe you are correct about the years that they are the same cause that was covered in another thread and Tim ( MasterTechAdministrator) mentioned it as well.

I haven't done the part number crossover but I'll double check it as well.

This is the TownAce I pulled it from with the same specs as mine how lucky is that!!! The owner is parting it out cause he couldn't get it insured with ICBC due to the large crack in the windshield, so I've been in contact with him and stripping it away. I've taking a lot of spares from this van to add to my hoard specifically for my Townace.
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    Last edited by JDM VANMAN; 04-23-2016 at 08:22 PM.

My Van(s):

Hey JDM,

Thanks for the pics! I'd love to have those middle slider windows! I have the pop out style and want to convert to this slider style. how would I get a hold of this guy? I'm in Portland. You headed back over to that van anytime soon?

-Danny-

My Van(s):

Quote Originally Posted by Danny View Post
    Hey JDM,

Thanks for the pics! I'd love to have those middle slider windows! I have the pop out style and want to convert to this slider style. how would I get a hold of this guy? I'm in Portland. You headed back over to that van anytime soon?

-Danny-
    Danny are you the your windows are the same size? I can measure mine so you have an idea. But I do think the slider windows are the same JMD to USDM. If they're the same then that would just be a wasted trip and 💵💵 when you can pick them up from a local Van.

As for contact info, I'll ask him if it's ok to give his number out, he doesn't have long distance phone service and he doesn't do email. I've had to use my sister (who lives there) at times to be the middle person when having a conversation with him.