Thread: Power Steering Return Line Size

My Van(s):
    1989 A/T Vanwagon - 2 WD x 2 1986 A/T LE - 2WD

Power Steering Return Line Size

What size ID is the power steering return line? Mine is missing and the system dry at the moment, but I plan on getting the PS working again. Napa and Autozone both sold me a universal hose that their system said fits, but it doesn't. Too small.

My Van(s):
    Lots of them

Re: Power Steering Return Line Size

The ID of that hose is 5/8" (or whatever the metric equivalent is). It is a formed hose though and Napa will just sell you something in bulk. Bulk can be "shoehorned" in there, but there will be issues with pinching and chaffing. As much as I hate to pay Toyota's prices, I still think the factory hose is the best way to go. It's Toyota part #44348-28040 and has an MSRP of $136.28. Some of the internet Toyota parts sites will sell for as much as 30% cheaper than that. Good luck. Tim

My Van(s):
    Abby AKA The Blue Abyss 86 2wd 5spd @180K

I agree with Tim, the molded hose would be the way to go. Though if you're going the bulk hose route, take a look at Gates Unicoils too. Might save you a buck or two.

Van Addict
    My Van(s):
    Blue 1987 4wd 5-speed Hi/Lo Manual Hubs - Sold. Grey 1987 4wd Cargo conversion, automatic in repair mode.

136$ for a hose!!! dang. Is the one you're referring to the top hose that crosses the oil fill cap? If so then I've been using the bulk gates for over a year and no problems except it gets in the way(a little) when adding oil or antifreeze-not much of an issue since I just push it to the side. I haven't noticed any kinking. Although if you get the toyota it'll probably last another 20 years.

My Van(s):
    Lots of them

Everybody has their opinions I guess. I know budget is a major factor for most van owners too. I use bulk hose in most locations but this is one of the few spots I grit my teeth and grab my ankles for. I like things to "flow" and much prefer quality/fit over a good price. One of my vans had bulk hose here when I purchased it. It had been rubbing on the ECU temperature probe and wore all the way through the connector and the wire. The van ran like crap as a result and part of the reason I got a good deal (PO couldn't figure it out). There were lots of little substitutes and "band-aids" on that van. I just hate that kind of crap (more than I hate rip-off prices). 20 years is about right for the life of this hose, so genuine Toyota works out to about $7 per year (worth it to me). Of course I plan on keeping my van for the duration. I say fix it once and fix it right. If it costs more I take my lumps and the van will repay me by being more reliable. There's always going to be issues with older vehicles and easy stuff like this isn't worth my time to visit a 2nd, 3rd, or 4th time.

My Van(s):
    1989 A/T Vanwagon - 2 WD x 2 1986 A/T LE - 2WD

Thanks for the responses. I have to say the OEM Toyota part is a little expensive for my tastes. I understand that it's a much better quality, but just to get the PS going again, I'm going the universal route.

However, I spoke with a local rubber supply company and they might be able to provide a better alternative for a fitted hose. I'll let you know how that works out.