Thread: Rough Idle / Cold Start

Forum Newbie
    My Van(s):
    88 Toyota Cargo Van, 5SPD 4x4

Rough Idle / Cold Start

1988 Cargo Van 4x4

When my van cold starts, it cranks for several seconds before firing. If you give it gas, it starts. Once it fires, you have to keep giving it gas, or start driving to keep it running. If you don't keep it revved up, it runs rough at a low RPM and might even quit.

Of course, all this goes away once the engine is warm.

After using the search function, it sounds like I might need to clean my cold start injector, or possibly buy a new one?

What should be my first course of action in troubleshooting this problem? Planning to tackle it this weekend.

Van Fan
    My Van(s):
    1987 LE 4x4 5-Speed

Re: Rough Idle / Cold Start

There are several threads so you might have better luck posting your question on one of those. I'm dealing with the same issue on my 87 4x4 and think I've got it narrowed down to the aux air valve (using the hose pinch test). Cold start injector and the related temp switch are easy to change and not too expensive so might be worth a shot to replace just to rule them out.

Check out:
    https://www.toyotavantech.com/forum/...eferrerid=3100

Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by xrs135 View Post
    1988 Cargo Van 4x4

When my van cold starts, it cranks for several seconds before firing. If you give it gas, it starts. Once it fires, you have to keep giving it gas, or start driving to keep it running. If you don't keep it revved up, it runs rough at a low RPM and might even quit.

Of course, all this goes away once the engine is warm.

After using the search function, it sounds like I might need to clean my cold start injector, or possibly buy a new one?

What should be my first course of action in troubleshooting this problem? Planning to tackle it this weekend.

My Van(s):
    1985 5-sp cargo (Trustyvan) . . . . 1989 5-sp 4WD DLX (Skylervan)

Re: Rough Idle / Cold Start

Good luck, and if you still have issues, don't forget to post your questions in the existing thread that has the symptoms most like yours.

Gwen
    1985 5-speed window cargo van set up for llama haulin'; 345K ("Trustyvan")
    1989 4WD 5-speed DLX; 410K and an odd sense of humor ("Skylervan")