Thread: stearing shake

Forum Newbie
    My Van(s):
    1991 Townace 4WD 2.0 TD

stearing shake

Hi all - have a little problem with my van the last few months.
    Its a Townace CR30 2.0 diesel 4x4 so hoping i am posting in the correct thread.
    So after i got it tested last time i had some suspension work to do and she make it through.

I drove it for the bones of a year and towards the end of that time I noticed two things : The occasional crack on the left front when at full lock or reversing and changing lock.

More noticable was a shake that used to come through the steering. This would specifically happen when the on gentle enough corners - say turning to the left but off-camber so the weight would be on the right while cornering left if you get me.

Its quite a noticable shake, I tried tightening the wheel bearing, changed wheel in case it was a bulging tyre or something. No difference.

Anyone have these symptoms before?

thanks!

Danny

My Van(s):
    1987 Toyota Van DX 2wd

Re: stearing shake

Here are some general "shaking" guidelines:

Shaking during regular driving at around 45mph (around 72 kmh) is usually a tire not balanced properly...front tires are felt more through the steering wheel...rear tires are felt more through the seat.

Shaking while braking is usually warped brake rotors.

Shaking while turning might be worn shocks/struts if the rest of the steering components are in good condition.

Forum Newbie
    My Van(s):
    1991 Townace 4WD 2.0 TD

Thanks Mate -

its only on left turn, new shocks on the front on both sides since its last test - right side got a new track rod end. nothing obviously loose or with play in it - but i guess some component in there is worn.

Van Obsessed
    My Van(s):
    88 4WD DLX 5spd

You may want to review the threads on front wheel bearings.
    They do require regular servicing (clean and repack) and there is a procedure for setting the preload correctly but they should never be "tightened".
    These aren't standard tapered roller bearings, like on a 2WD.

Van Fan
    My Van(s):
    95 Previa SC, RWD, Auto

shake on corners is the textbook symptom of a bad wheel bearing.

If you have tapered rollers and they need "tightening up", it's not great but not unheard of.
    If you have ball-bearings (as someone up thread mentioned the vans not having tapered rollers!) and they need tightening up either they weren't put on right or they have already failed.

Having worked in a shop doing wheels and suspension for several years, there are no rules when it comes to wheel bearing failures and symptoms. I've seen it at all speeds, no speeds, certain speeds, high, low, middle, rattles, grinds, groans, whistles, and nothing at all. While 98% of the time the symptom occurs in the outside wheel when cornering, I've seen it happen opposite as well (coworker was pulling out his hair, about to replace the bearings a third time when he called me over to help diagnose it. turned out the opposite side was bad in such a way that it only made noise turning the other way AND the noise transmitted across the truck)
    -Russell
    "You don't get to judge me for how I fix what you break"
    -95 Previa SC RWD
    -05 Subaru Baja Turbo, 03 Subaru Baja NA, 01 BMW R1200c, 94 Firebird v8, 70 VW Beetle