Thread: Low Oil Light on When Starting Then Disappears

My Van(s):
    '85 Toyota 2WD Cargo Van 5 Speed ------------------ '89 Toyota 4WD LE Auto ————————

Question Low Oil Light on When Starting Then Disappears

I recently changed my oil and went with a new K and N filter. I know a lot use the genuine Toyota filters but I haven’t had any issues with aftermarket filters. What happens is that when I start my can, it seems like oil isn’t getting to the cylinders fast enough, it’s a little bit of a rumble and the light stays on for a couple seconds until the oil is through the system. Could the oil pump be serendipitously going out at the same time I changed the oil? Once the light goes off, it stays off. I live in California, temps at 60s -80s now and I’m using 10w-30 Castro’s full synthetic which I’ve used the whole time I’ve had the van. Any other information I can supply to get help? I’m worried the slightly rough starts will hurt the engine. The engine purrs after the first two seconds and then stays well within proper temperatures while driving.

Van Addict
    My Van(s):
    (2) 1989 2WD LE VAN Wagons

Re: Low Oil Light on When Starting Then Disappears

Quote Originally Posted by bushcat View Post
    I recently changed my oil and went with a new K and N filter. I know a lot use the genuine Toyota filters but I haven’t had any issues with aftermarket filters. What happens is that when I start my can, it seems like oil isn’t getting to the cylinders fast enough, it’s a little bit of a rumble and the light stays on for a couple seconds until the oil is through the system. Could the oil pump be serendipitously going out at the same time I changed the oil? Once the light goes off, it stays off. I live in California, temps at 60s -80s now and I’m using 10w-30 Castro’s full synthetic which I’ve used the whole time I’ve had the van. Any other information I can supply to get help? I’m worried the slightly rough starts will hurt the engine. The engine purrs after the first two seconds and then stays well within proper temperatures while driving.

I have never heard of an oil pump going out on these Vans or having oil pressure problems and I have personally owned 10 of these since 1984. On higher mileage engines I would use 10W40. North of 200K miles I have used 20W50. Oil lights on these vehicles are notoriously inaccurate

Van Obsessed
    My Van(s):
    88 4WD DLX 5spd

Not all filters are created equally.
    Factory filters are anti-drain back, many aftermarkets are not.

If the problem is brand new and co-occurred with the new brand of filter, I would be of a mind to replace the filter with your previous happy experience (or OEM, just to be sure) and see if the problem disappears.
    It might be a total waste of a new filter or it might save significant wear and tear on your motors internals.

Question: If your spending the money for Synthetic oil, why scrimp on the filter?

My Van(s):
    '85 Toyota 2WD Cargo Van 5 Speed ------------------ '89 Toyota 4WD LE Auto ————————

I think I will do what you said and go back to the filters I was using before. It's not only the fact the oil light stays on a little longer than usual when starting but the engine shakes a little more than I'm comfortable with and that shaking wasn't there before.

Do you have a good source for the OEM filters? I didn't think K&N was skimping? Also, I order from RockAuto a lot so I was using some of the better filters off there to combine shipping.

Van Fan
    My Van(s):
    95 Previa SC, RWD, Auto

Quote Originally Posted by bushcat View Post
    I think I will do what you said and go back to the filters I was using before. It's not only the fact the oil light stays on a little longer than usual when starting but the engine shakes a little more than I'm comfortable with and that shaking wasn't there before.

Do you have a good source for the OEM filters? I didn't think K&N was skimping? Also, I order from RockAuto a lot so I was using some of the better filters off there to combine shipping.
    I've heard mixed things about K&N filters... cheap filter with a nut welded on. Edit: no personal experience, just what I've heard

I use Wix filters, usually bought by the case from RA, for all 7 vehicles. Napa Gold (made by WIX) are second choice.
    Last edited by kamesama980; 06-11-2019 at 01:16 PM.
    -Russell
    "You don't get to judge me for how I fix what you break"
    -95 Previa SC RWD
    -05 Subaru Baja Turbo, 03 Subaru Baja NA, 01 BMW R1200c, 94 Firebird v8, 70 VW Beetle

Van Obsessed
    My Van(s):
    88 4WD DLX 5spd

I just get mine at the dealer and they aren't expensive.

I tried a Wix on my Suzy and immediately had timing chain noises on start-up.
    Went back to the OEM filter and all was quiet and has been ever since.
    The Suzy filters are stupid expensive, but a lot cheaper than replacing guides and chains.

I didn't mean to imply that the K&N is inferior or cheap.
    I have no experience with them at all.
    Most times, when people choose A/M parts, its usually about cost, hence my assumption.

Cheers

Van Fan
    My Van(s):
    95 Previa SC, RWD, Auto

Quote Originally Posted by Burntboot View Post
    I just get mine at the dealer and they aren't expensive.

I tried a Wix on my Suzy and immediately had timing chain noises on start-up.
    Went back to the OEM filter and all was quiet and has been ever since.
    The Suzy filters are stupid expensive, but a lot cheaper than replacing guides and chains.

I didn't mean to imply that the K&N is inferior or cheap.
    I have no experience with them at all.
    Most times, when people choose A/M parts, its usually about cost, hence my assumption.

Cheers
    K&Ns may be many things but cheap isn't one.
    -Russell
    "You don't get to judge me for how I fix what you break"
    -95 Previa SC RWD
    -05 Subaru Baja Turbo, 03 Subaru Baja NA, 01 BMW R1200c, 94 Firebird v8, 70 VW Beetle

My Van(s):
    1987 Toyota Van DX 2wd

My first thought...your air intake hose may have cracked, split, or been damaged while changing your air filter. This could cause a "rumble" at start-up. Carefully remove and inspect your air intake hose before switching filters.