Thread: Problem with staring on the 97 Previa

Forum Newbie
    My Van(s):
    The one and only white 1997 Previa ultimate camping van!

Problem with staring on the 97 Previa

Hi everyone, can you please help me to identify the problem with my 1997 Previa? The car starts normally in the morning, but when it's hot and I turn the key after a stop, the starter begins to crank very slowly and stops every second, as if it's stuck or the battery is dying. The dash lights act as if the battery is dying too. But the thing is, that the batter and alternator are just fine and the car starts easily when the engine cools down in about 15 minutes, as if nothing happend. It's freaking me out because it doesn't happen every day, sometimes I drive normally and the car refuses to start in the most unexpected moment.

Forum Newbie
    My Van(s):

Re: Problem with staring on the 97 Previa

So the local mechanic suggested that it should be the Ignition coil. I decided to fix it DIY to same on some labor, but can't seem to find the right part online. All sites that I look up at show different pictures, so I need to figure out which one's right.

https://www.ebay.com/i/231054014148?chn=ps
    https://www.carid.com/beck-arnley/ignition-coil.html
    and finally JC whitney
    https://www.jcwhitney.com/details/To...E&gclsrc=aw.ds

Van Obsessed
    My Van(s):
    1988 4WD LE auto dual range t-case (the mistress) 1988 4WD LE auto(the donut van)

Allow me to be blunt, you need a new mechanic. The ignition coil has no bearing whatsoever on how fast the starter is able to crank an engine. You have what sounds like a classic hot soak starter issue(Not to be confused with the common Toyota Van "hot soak" fuel issue). As the temperature of the starter increases so to does the resistance of the electrical winding in the motor which requires more current to turn the starter at sufficient speed. I'm going to take a guess that this is an older starter that may have a lot of miles on it. An older starter already has increased resistance from age and wear. Add heat to that and it's more than what the available battery current can overcome. As long as your battery has been properly load tested and is performing well, you'll likely need a new starter. Testing to confirm this can be problematic unless you are able to carry around some type of high capacity ammeter. Years ago I bought a cheap inductive ammeter at a local auto parts store to diagnose a similar issue on my diesel truck starter. The meter was simply held against the battery cable while cranking the starter to produce a reading. Not very accurate but the difference between hot and cold cranking were significant enough to confirm my starter issue.

Forum Newbie
    My Van(s):

I've already ordered...alright, thank you very much for the advice. Will be visiting a local mechanic this week.