Thread: 4WD front center cap or hub question

Forum Newbie
    My Van(s):
    1987 toyota van le

4WD front center cap or hub question

hi everyone i will post an intro to myself soon. this forum is amazing. we are looking to paint rims of tires a certain color. i already know the process of doing so. i figured i'd take advantage of sanding down some rust before taking out each tire and doing it thoroughly. i took of the center black piece of the toyota logo so i can clean those and keep them as is. i think that would look good. i pulled them out easily for the back tires but the front tires seems to have the center bolted on. do you know if i can remove the center pieces by removing those small bolts without having to take the tires out yet? i hope you guys understand what im trying to say. for now im trying to take out center pieces of the front rim like i did the back. im uploading pictures hopefully this helps.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Van Obsessed
    My Van(s):
    88 4WD DLX 5spd

Re: 1987 toyota van tires

While the rears utilize a centre cap, the fronts are actually locking hubs and while they will do come off, it isn't something you're going to do unless you're going in there for maintenance.
    Furthermore, you have auto locking hubs, you may want to read some threads on same as most consider them to be a ticking time bomb that are best replaced with manual hubs as soon as funds provide.

It really is just easier to take the rims off the vehicle, do your refinishing and reinstall when they are dry.

Please do NOT remove those bolts, there is a procedure involved, and they are the last part to be undone, not the first.

Forum Newbie
    My Van(s):
    1987 toyota van le

Thanks for the information I'll try to do more research on it I'm going to have to change the front brakes I've done brakes before is it like a harder procedure for this car or can I just take off the tires and change the brakes?

Van Obsessed
    My Van(s):
    88 4WD DLX 5spd

Re: 4WD front center cap or hub question

Well, its sorta the same but with some differences and it depends on what you plan to do and what is wrong with the brakes.

Pads are relatively easy to replace, servicing the sliders can be a pain, replacing rotors requires dropping those hubs we were talking about earlier and then, once you're in that deep you may as well clean and repack/replace wheel bearings and.....
    Sometimes these things escalate.

Van Fan
    My Van(s):
    1988 MasterAce Surf

Quote Originally Posted by creationj View Post
    Thanks for the information I'll try to do more research on it I'm going to have to change the front brakes I've done brakes before is it like a harder procedure for this car or can I just take off the tires and change the brakes?
    Replacing the brake pads is just like replacing any other brake pad. Replacing the rotors requires removing the locking hub and the wheel hub as the rotor is bolted to the wheel hub. This is a good time to clean and grease the locking hub and wheel bearings.