Thread: Lowered front end torsion bar with KYB Gas-a-Just's...

My Van(s):
    1984 Toyota Van and 60's triumph rigid

Lowered front end torsion bar with KYB Gas-a-Just's...

I cranked the torsion bars a little on the front of my 86 cargo for a little more stability and looks. At the time I installed KYB Gas-a-justs on all four corners and crap it's a stiff ride. I don't believe I lowered it that much, it measures just about 25 inches from the ground to the bottom of my wheel well. My question to you is I loved the way the blown shocks rode...... It was like the front of the van floated when I hit bumps but now it's just super stiff and feel every little bump. Could it be the shocks given they are more of a performance/stiffer shock than the others? If so, anybody want to buy or trade for some newer front Kyb gas-a-justs?

Also, I have 195/70/14's I think and it's a 2wd window cargo.

Thanks,
    Ronnie

My Van(s):
    Lots of them

Re: Lowered front end torsion bar with KYB Gas-a-Just's...

When trying to "dial-in" anything it's important to only change 1 thing at a time. My guess is the shocks are to blame, but who knows. My advice would be to adjust the bars back to stock ride height and take it for a drive. After the drive check and if required adjust it again (things tend to settle immediately after adjustment). Here's a snap shot from the manual to help get the ride height back to normal.

If the ride is still harsh after adjustment, then I'd blame the shocks. Good luck. Tim

Van Enthusiast
    My Van(s):
    89 5-speed

I just put in Gas-A-Justs on all 4 corners and it is a somewhat firm ride, but not overly bumpy. I did not notice a big difference compared to the old ones other than the lack of bouncing after going over a bump.

Those are considered "performance" shocks so they won't be super smooth even after you put the ride height back. If you want a carlike ride you might look at the KYB twin tube shocks or even basic Monroe's. I'm sure you could find a buyer for those KYBs if you make the discount big enough

My Van(s):
    1984 Toyota Van and 60's triumph rigid

Thanks for the replies guys and it's good to still some active people on the TV boards......... Nobody's on TVP anymore :(

Anyways, well I think I'm definitely going to switch out the gas a just's for some good old' regulars in the front!

With that said....... Anybody want to buy or trade for my KYB Gas-a-Just's for the front on an 86 2wd?