Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Windshield removal / replacement

My Van(s):
    '87 Toyota LE auto 4WD Van 238000 '71 Westfalia Euro version (missed it for years)

Windshield removal / replacement

Hello all,

Seems like the cost of replacing the windshield is all over the board on getting it done here in the Los Angeles area. I've had quotes from $95 to $245.

Does anyone have any tips on how to weed through the different vendors? Stuff to make sure they do and to ask for? Seems like getting a gasket(?) would be a better route than that gummy stuff. Am I to assume that my chrome trimming would all be safe and reusable? What happens if it isn't? Any suppliers for this? What about clips? One vendor even asked if I want it done right or fast and cheap? That was the one with a quote of $245. $245 is done right.

I've read just about every thread on this subject at TVP and there was some valuable tips, but nothing seemed comprehensive. I do have a couple of minor rust spots, (on the outside), haven't really started to peel away the layers. I'll post something up later this weekend. Seems like everyone is mobile and doesn't seem like there would be too much trouble to get them to come the first day and remove the windshield. Then come back the day after to install it.

Will post pics later.

Thanks for any and all replies regarding this.

Van Enthusiast
    My Van(s):
    '86 2wdAuto made it to 490k,now in van 'heaven' '88 panel 4x4 standard,,stolen in Tijuana jan 2012 '87 4x4 auto...new paint, now on th'road! '86 2wd auto 360k,,mint condition,had some fun, needs engi

Re: Windshield replacement

hmm,always (3x) used the low-cost alternative,,usually get another rock-ding before there's any issues with the window or installation.
    ....be careful about a top-edge heavy-tint especially if you're tall

My Van(s):
    Lots of them

There is no gasket. The windshield is held in by urethane sealant. There are clips that hold the chrome trim in place. If you're careful you can save and re-use the trim. Basically you pop the trim out of a clip on one end, then slide it out of the other clips. This is covered in the BO section of the factory service manual. If you have it done by somebody else, I guess you just have to ask questions and trust your gut. Good luck. Tim

My Van(s):
    '87 Toyota LE auto 4WD Van 238000 '71 Westfalia Euro version (missed it for years)

Yeah I recall seeing it in the manual. Will be looking over that section again.

OK looks like what I want to do is remove the chrome trim myself. Assuming I am mechanically capable. The clips seems like the vendors have their own? I'm not sure, I've never seen or taken apart the shield. So I don't know if it would be something they would have. Some vendors have stated they got clips they can use. I'm hoping one of these days soon I get a chance to see a van at the wreckers. Another thing too, is to make sure my new windshield is a complete one tint on the whole glass. Thanks micah202 on that!

Here's the pics of the current windshield,

Name:  DSCN0253.jpg
Views: 1934
Size:  83.5 KB

Name:  DSCN0251.jpg
Views: 1810
Size:  93.0 KB

Name:  DSCN0250.jpg
Views: 1802
Size:  97.3 KB

Name:  DSCN0249.jpg
Views: 1904
Size:  94.9 KB

Forum Newbie
    My Van(s):
    1987 cargo

Since I had never replaced one of these glue-in windshields, I called around and found a mobile repair guy who does nothing but auto glass (Anthem Auto Glass in Santa Rosa). He came by and we did it together - him doing pretty much everything and me holding things and asking questions. It took him about an hour total and he charged me $60.00. I'm glad I did it this way - he had a tool to cut the old windshield out which worked incredibly well. Basically, it was a reciprocating saw with a very short stroke and a very flexible, spatula-like blade in it. He shoved this under the glass and cut the old windshield out in about 15 minutes. He then painted the perimeter of the new windshield (inside) with a very opaque black paint ( since the urethane adhesive is photoreactive). Next he used an electric caulking gun to place the adhesive and then we set the windshield in place. Took another 5 minutes to replace the trim - which he had removed and saved. Once the trim was back on he used masking tape to hold it perfectly in place until the adhesive dried. ( a couple of hours). Very clean, professional job.

My Van(s):
    Lots of them

I just found an old thread over at TVP: http://www.toyotavanpeople.com/forum...t=5633&p=43388 . I agree with Linn though. If you find a mobile guy (that runs his own company) you are likely to get an expert. Better yet if he's been in business for more than 3 years (it's hard to successfully run a small business if you don't know what you're doing). Tim

My Van(s):

Quote Originally Posted by linnharding View Post
    It took him about an hour total and he charged me $60.00.
    Wait, that was for the price of the glass too? That's been the cheapest I read or called. That was new piece glass or used? (Assuming it was included.) What was done regarding the clips?

@Tim,

Yeah I saw that thread. I kinda liked this one the best,
    http://www.toyotavanpeople.com/forum...dshield#p14006
    I just searched them all with "windshield" as my search term.

Any insight on the clips?
    Last edited by User1; 03-11-2012 at 12:50 AM.

My Van(s):
    Lots of them

I seriously doubt that price included the glass.......I'm thinking glass would be around $200 all by itself. IMO even $60 for just the labor is cheap. I charge $75 per hr and have an additional travel fee based on miles (cheapest is $45).

As for the clips, I suspect you are correct in your assumption that different kinds would work here. I'm sure Toyota used this same method for other vehicles in this era and any professional windshield guy should know about them and how to get them (or suitable substitutes). Have fun with your project . Tim

Forum Newbie
    My Van(s):
    1987 cargo

The $60 was just for labor and this was cheap. We scheduled it when John, the owner and only worker, was on his way home from putting in windows for a dealer in San Francisco. He stopped by just as it was getting dark and he set up lights before he started on the windshield. I had gone to Pick and Pull and found a windshield that had been glued in with silicone caulk. It was an Australian windshield ( not original equipment) and because it had been glued in with silicone, I was able to get it out pretty easily without damage. Cost me $40.
    John did such a good job and was so good about teaching me the process, I paid him more than he asked for - I think I gave him $80 and a dozen eggs. His wife stops by on Sundays now to buy eggs.

My Van(s):

Quote Originally Posted by linnharding View Post
    His wife stops by on Sundays now to buy eggs.
    Oh your breaking my heart now!!!! Fresh eggs!!!!!!!!!

Van Enthusiast
    My Van(s):
    1988 4WD LE 5 spd mnl

Windshield work

I haven't found too many posts on windshield/ trim work. Has anyone tackled the work?

I'd like to take mine out of my 88 and give it a proper seal and repair the trim thats falling apart. We recently had a good rain and I discovered a nice constant stream coming through onto passenger side dash and door while van sat parked. The trim around windshield has been slowly coming up and the faster I drive the louder it whistles and howls. HA

I know I can take it some where and pay the couple hundred it probably costs, and it may only take a few hours, but I'd rather give it a go myself and learn how to do it, even if it may take me a day or two. There are several of us in the area with these vans and it would be valuable work to learn.

Anyone with any input they can share? Thank you thank you!

My Van(s):
    1987 2WD

Re: Windshield work

There are a lot of youtubes on this subject. Many driveway/backyard guys seem to do it without much hassle.

I know sometimes its a challenge to remove the glass without breaking it. & you'll want to make sure any rust spots are completely sanded & repaired otherwise it will just leak again.

I remember a thread over at TVP that had some photos. I think the guy was repainting his van.

The trim pieces are something that will need to be fabricated or taken from the yard as they are NLA from Toyota.

I've used silicon to repair leaks in a pinch. This at least keeps electronics in the interior from suffering damage.

Van Obsessed
    My Van(s):
    88 4WD DLX 5spd

Red's mouldings were siting proud when I got it, after trying unsuccessfully to put them back on with a little goo, I pulled all the trim only to find most of the retaining clips were broken and at least 4 different types of goop hiding underneath, clearly this has been an on-going, longstanding issue.
    As winter was already here, I ended up using up a tube of sealant I had left over from some boat repairs.
    Any sealant you chose should be silicon free (paint and silicone do not mix, and even years after application and removal, the silicone can cause paint adhesion problems and are the number one cause of "fish eyes".)
    That bought me a little time but we are once again experiencing a leak from the top right corner so the time has come.

I plan to repair it myself, as I know a glass shop will only grind out the obvious rust and fill it up with cat hair and bondo and that just isn't a long term repair, at least not up here in snow country.
    I currently have 2 glass shops looking for a replacement glass as I have little desire to put the old one back in, till then, the repair is on hold.

Foreverly is right, everything for the front glass is NLA from Toyota, moulding clips are available A/M but that's about it.
    The manual has specific directions for re&re of the glass and mouldings so at least that part is "easy".

Van Enthusiast
    My Van(s):
    1988 4WD LE 5 spd mnl

Thanks for helping the newb.

I will be very surprised if there is no rust underneath when I remove the glass. Crossing my fingers there won't be too much to repair.

My Van(s):
    Lots of them

I've been putting off this job on 2 of my vans. I know I'll be dealing with rust holes on both (thus the reason for putting off). My moldings are still there nice and secure though. My 86 now has rust holes that have extended enough they can be seen creeping out from the sides of the moldings .......and the hole on the driver's side whistles at speeds over 65 mph . Tim

Van Fan
    My Van(s):
    1989 Toyota van

I called safelite just to see how much it would be and WOW talk about way to expensive but then again everything is getting way over priced good luck with your windshield

My Van(s):
    Lots of them

Van Fan
    My Van(s):
    1989 Toyota van

I guess prices went up down here in san Antonio they want 395.00

My Van(s):
    Lots of them

Try calling MS auto glass in Vancouver, WA. I know they're too far, but perhaps their supplier also distributes in your area. 360-750-7333 ask for Veena.

Van Enthusiast
    My Van(s):
    1988 4WD LE 5 spd mnl

I've put this off too long! Other pressing issues on van had me go the duct tape route for time being. So the other night we had high winds and rain, and as I turned the wipers on they caught the bottom trim that was lifting up and it ripped the tape up and the winds caught the trim and half of my trim went airborne, probably to the other side of the freeway. MAN! Time to find some replacement trim now.