Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Windshield removal / replacement

Forum Newbie
    My Van(s):
    87 4wd

Windshield removal

Doesn't seem to be any threads on windshield removal and all I can find online are people outsourcing that. I am having a minor (hopefully) rust/leak issue. I have removed my trim but now I am unsure how to proceed. Has someone done this? YouTube seems to lack anything related. It looks like the windshield has a couple of tabs it sits on on the bottom and is then.. glued to a strip on the inside then caulked all around? Also the clips.. Should these go in before the outside caulking or just leave room for them. I am unsure I want to add new chrome molding - i found it online at lagrangetoyota.com but it's about $100-$150 for all I think. I've read about a guy just adding black urethane roofing caulk which might be ok if I can smooth it nicely.

I may have someone come and take the windshield off but id like to do it myself if not too hard. I live in a small town so it's a bit complex to find a local.

It's an 87 van LE/4wd

Van Obsessed
    My Van(s):
    1988 4WD LE auto dual range t-case (the mistress) 1988 4WD LE auto(the donut van)

Re: Windshield removal

There are special tools for this. Here is one example: http://www.harborfreight.com/windshi...ool-60298.html
    Here is another: http://www.harborfreight.com/profess...kit-96339.html
    Draw your own conclusions in regards to Harbor Freight's quality. It was the first one to come up when I googled "windshield removal tool".

Van Enthusiast
    My Van(s):
    '87 5sp 4WD custom westy

All the US masterace vans use the same windshield, '84-89. There are two colors available a bronze tint/shade and a green or blue tint/shade.

If your van has the OEM toyota clips holding on the mouldings they will need to be cut off to prevent damage to the trim. The original plastic clips are sturdy and do not release easily. If you can find new mouldings then it doesn't matter if the old ones get damaged during removal.

You will need to get a replacement clip kit. They are around $15-25

I had the windshield replaced in my van and the ham-fisted idiot who did the job destroyed my trim mouldings because he did not know or understand that they needed to be cut off to release the trim. I now have a universal rubber moulding until I can source a set of replacement trim.

It is best to call a professional auto glass installer to do the job, and make sure you get a good technician. There are lots of hacks out there. It shouldn't be more than $200-250 for a new w/s, clips and labor. Maybe less.

My Van(s):
    1985 5-sp cargo (Trustyvan) . . . . 1989 5-sp 4WD DLX (Skylervan)

Quote Originally Posted by CleverUserName View Post
    All the US masterace vans use the same windshield, '84-89.
    Bit of trivia: The US did not get "Masterace" vans — they were imported first as Van Wagon (1984) and then just Van (1985-1989)

Not-so-trivial: The 84-85 Vans have a different windshield than the 86-89 Vans.

Gwen
    1985 5-speed window cargo van set up for llama haulin'; 345K ("Trustyvan")
    1989 4WD 5-speed DLX; 410K and an odd sense of humor ("Skylervan")

Van Enthusiast
    My Van(s):
    '87 5sp 4WD custom westy

Quote Originally Posted by llamavan View Post
    Bit of trivia: The US did not get "Masterace" vans — they were imported first as Van Wagon (1984) and then just Van (1985-1989)

Not-so-trivial: The 84-85 Vans have a different windshield than the 86-89 Vans.

Gwen
    Hi Gwen. I though I was the only one on here at 4 am! LOL.

I was referring to the US vanwagon as "masterace" because they share many of the same parts as the JDM counterparts, including the windshield.

The 84-89 vans all use the same windshield. It is a FW00474 ( which is a NAGS part #) FW 474 translates into Foreign Windshield #474. NAGS is a US glass specification which is different from the actual toyota part #.

The earlier '84 vanwagon (or masterace) windshield may have initially had a different part number, but it was superseded by FW00474, which is what is recognized today.

You can check rockauto.com to verify. Look at the windshield part # for an '89 van and compare it to the '84. You can see that they are both FW00474. https://www.rockauto.com/catalog/raf...hp?make=TOYOTA

Importglasscorp makes aftermarket clips and weatherstipping. Their catalog lists the FW 474 as the NAGS # for '84-89 Toyota Van wagons as well. It also lists the the required trim moulding kit for our vans as PCK-474-84. It's on Page 5 of the catalog: http://importglasscorp.com/pdf/Moldi... Clip Kits.pdf

Happycloud, if you decide to do the job on your own, you will need a FW00474 windshield and PCK-474-84 clip kit.

Why and how on earth do I know all this you might ask? 20 years ago I worked as a salesman for a wholesale windshield distributor and I still remember. Hopefully in another 20 years I will have completely forgotten all this.

Forum Newbie
    My Van(s):
    87 4wd

Thanks for the tips. My windshielf is fine and I am thinking of repalcing the chrome trim with urethane caulk as I saw on other forums. Mostly curious as to what is holding the windshield in place. It appears that there is a rubber moulding that originally encased the edge of the glass and was also sticky. The part of the rubber that faces outside is long gone so it's a bit hard to tell what was original and what is added on urethane. I've ordered what is suppoed to be windhsield runner molding that fits my van and gonna go from there. It says it has adhesive so I guess that is what is holding the glass in place? Looks like it will come right out as the stuff is worn and old. My goal was to then fill in the outside leftover gap with black urethane roofing caulk and smooth it in place nicely.

Van Enthusiast
    My Van(s):
    '87 5sp 4WD custom westy

Quote Originally Posted by happycloud View Post
    Thanks for the tips. My windshielf is fine and I am thinking of repalcing the chrome trim with urethane caulk as I saw on other forums. Mostly curious as to what is holding the windshield in place. It appears that there is a rubber moulding that originally encased the edge of the glass and was also sticky. The part of the rubber that faces outside is long gone so it's a bit hard to tell what was original and what is added on urethane. I've ordered what is suppoed to be windhsield runner molding that fits my van and gonna go from there. It says it has adhesive so I guess that is what is holding the glass in place? Looks like it will come right out as the stuff is worn and old. My goal was to then fill in the outside leftover gap with black urethane roofing caulk and smooth it in place nicely.
    The windshield is glued in place with either urethane adhesive or butyl rubber. Most likely they used urethane as this is the norm but as I said before there are lots of hacks out there. I've even seen w/s installed with clear silicone so anythings possible.

Urethane cures hard, so it must be cut to release the windshield. You gotta get a blade or cutting tool in between the body and glass to cut the adhesive. Once the adhesive is cut the w/s can be pushed out. You will need to remove the interior pillar trim panels and L/R "oh sh*t handles" to get them off. They will be old and brittle so be careful. There is a vinyl interior trim piece to be removed as well, it runs along the top of the pinchweld and should be color matched to your interior. This upper trim should just pull off if you wiggle it.

It is very difficult to cut out a windshield without breaking it as it sits very close to the body on our vans. With that in mind you may want to get a windshield anyway or hire a pro to cut it out for you.

The exterior trim mouldings are mostly metal w/ plastic. They are held in place by clips attached to the windshield when installed. Here is a factory schematic so you can see: http://www.toyotapartsoverstock.com/...rimLevel=18416

It also says the trim mouldings are NLA. You can't buy new ones as far as I know.

There is a windshield dam kit. I think this is rubber trim that sits below the exterior trim mouldings. My van did not have this installed so I don't know exactly what purpose it serves. # 0456230040
    http://www.toyotapartsoverstock.com/...rimLevel=18416

If you can't find the winshield trim mouldings I suggest you get a universal moulding to cover the leading edge of the glass. This is what is installed in my van now and it works. It does not look right, nor does it fit very well but it's better than nothing at this point.

Forum Newbie
    My Van(s):
    87 4wd

So I took my trim off. Now the rubber underneath is all rotted away so my windshield will just pretty much fall out - I can grab a piece of the rubber and pull away from the windshield like a string. I can't quite tell what it used to look like originally. It appears that there is some kind of gasket - maybe 1/4" thick that is in betwen van and glass and that gasket most likely wrapped around the glass at some point though now its all gone. Any idea if that is original and where I can find it? I see stuff like this http://www.ebay.com/itm/Windshield-A...02806d&vxp=mtr but that doesn't have an area to glue to the metal.

Van Enthusiast
    My Van(s):
    '87 5sp 4WD custom westy

Quote Originally Posted by happycloud View Post
    So I took my trim off. Now the rubber underneath is all rotted away so my windshield will just pretty much fall out - I can grab a piece of the rubber and pull away from the windshield like a string. I can't quite tell what it used to look like originally. It appears that there is some kind of gasket - maybe 1/4" thick that is in betwen van and glass and that gasket most likely wrapped around the glass at some point though now its all gone. Any idea if that is original and where I can find it? I see stuff like this http://www.ebay.com/itm/Windshield-A...02806d&vxp=mtr but that doesn't have an area to glue to the metal.
    The factory parts diagrams for the trim and windshield show a rubber gasket. The Van has a Windshield dam kit, Part # 04562-30040 for around $40.

Look at the parts diagrams I linked to in my previous posts. This is probably the rubber strip your seeing. The windshield in my van did not have a dam kit or any rubber gasket installed. It was just glued in with urethane adhesive. So it's use is optional although I would get a new one if I knew that it was supposed to be there.

Here is the FSM for '87 van and it shows how to install the windshield. Urethane adhesive comes in tubes now, so no need to use a putty knife like in the pics.

http://www.toyotavans.org/community/...l/022_BODY.PDF

Van Fan
    My Van(s):
    1989 Cargo Conversion

I just got some parts off of a 84 early style. I had intentions to grab the windshield. The owner was trying to help me and broke it Oh well. Anyways this one did not have a gasket just sealer. You can use a razor blade knife and cut the top and then cut the inside. Watch out for the placement stops on the bottom. This guy was getting rough cutting around them and thats how he broke it. Save as many clips as you can for the trim.

Van Enthusiast
    My Van(s):
    '87 5sp 4WD custom westy

Quote Originally Posted by Speach View Post
    I just got some parts off of a 84 early style. I had intentions to grab the windshield. The owner was trying to help me and broke it Oh well. Anyways this one did not have a gasket just sealer. You can use a razor blade knife and cut the top and then cut the inside. Watch out for the placement stops on the bottom. This guy was getting rough cutting around them and thats how he broke it. Save as many clips as you can for the trim.
    Its difficult to cut out a windshield without breaking the glass. Luckily there are cheap chinese windshields available for our vans. Having the right tools can make it easier.

These long knives are like utility knives and use the same blades, but the long handle give you much more leverage. Good tool for cutting from the inside. They come in different lengths too. Here is a CRL long knife, but they have cheaper ones as well. http://www.dkhardware.com/product-17...ynaBoCFnLw_wcB

A cold knife is usefull for cutting from the outside, the The blade is angled 90 degress so you can get under the glass and cut the adhesive on the outer edge. http://www.dkhardware.com/product-83...ulORoCoOnw_wcB

Those are the most basic, specialized tools for cutting out the windshield.

If you need more windshield clips or a complete kit, precision makes good quality replacement parts. Here is the clip kit, PCK-474-84 http://precisionrestorationparts.com...van-wagon.html

Forum Newbie
    My Van(s):
    1987 Toyota Van LE 4WD Manual

Re: Windshield work

Hi,

I know this thread is old, however I just got an '87 TV, and just last night discovered a leak on the upper right corner near the windshield - there's a little space where two pieces of interior paneling come together and drip drip drip goes the rain water right onto the passenger seat! The van came from the SW so hasn't seen much rain (and doesn't have any obviously visible rust)...and now it's in PDX during the rainiest winter in years. I poked around the area inside and out and couldn't figure out where the leak was coming from or how to stop it. Any ideas or tips?

The windshield is cracked so it eventually needs to be replaced, but I'm stalling as I'm not sure it will be all that easy to find a new one and the crack is tiny and doesn't obstruct my view. I also need to paint it, so I'm wondering if the the source of the leak will be discovered when I have those things addressed?

In the meantime, I'm wondering what a quick fix would be, so I don't ruin the inside of the van...the rain's not gonna stop anytime soon and it'll be a month or so before I can replace the windshield or paint it. Wish I could park in a garage, but alas, it's apartment life for me.

Thanks for any help!

My Van(s):
    Lots of them

There are several threads on windshields here. Here is one of the more helpful ones:

http://www.toyotavantech.com/forum/s...-for-87-dx-van

Unless you plan to do this yourself, I would probably just get a new one and pay the $85 or whatever to the glass place for installation. If they find rust holes they will probably just seal with urethane and tell you that "next time" you'll need to get some structural repairs. If you can wait, it might make more sense to let your body guy deal with it (when it's in for paint). They know how to pull windshields, but even the good guys will often brake them during removal (especially if it's installed with a urethane caulk). For that reason, I'd probably wait until you have the body work done and do it all at the same time. Perhaps some Gorilla tape over that spot or maybe a bucket on the passenger seat? I'd avoid silicone if you're planning on having it painted soon (silicone can create paint bonding problems), but some of the other sealants (of a different base) could be used to fill the gap. Personally I'd rather not put liquid sealer on it if you can avoid it (it can be really tough to clean off later.......especially urethane). Tim

Forum Newbie
    My Van(s):
    1987 Toyota Van LE 4WD Manual

Thanks Tim! That other thread is super helpful! I'll definitely be calling MS Auto Glass about getting a replacement windshield. I found a paint & body guy here in PDX who helped restore and a repaint a family member's TV; I'm optimistic about doing it all at once. I did inspect the windshield again and identified where the leak is probably coming from. Tried to tape it inside and outside, put a cup to catch and drips, and put some damprid on the floor to help soak up the moisture until I can address it for real. My friend's first suggestion was silicone caulk but I'm going to try to hold off. Thanks again!

Van Enthusiast
    My Van(s):
    1988 4WD LE 5 spd mnl

I ended up taking the old glass out my self. The glass guy a friend told me to use gave a little break since I did the removal and cleaned it all up before he came. When I removed I was surprised the windshield has even stayed on the van the past 4 or so years since I purchased. It looked like my 3 year old installed it with Elmers glue. Surprised I only had such a minimal leak as well. Literally there was only about 15% of the windshield in contact with the bead. This is where my leaks came from. Anyhow, I was also lucky and there wasn't too much rust to clean up. No pitting or holes to fill, just surface rust I cleaned up and primed and painted.

The only thing I was kind of bummed on was the new glass they installed has a slight fading tint through the top. My last windshield didn't. I was away when they installed it and didn't feel like complaining and having it redone. But I can't stand the tint in the new one. My opinion is it cuts down on the feeling of having such a wide field of vision that is so great about driving these vans. Specially on road trips when your site seeing and star gazing on the open road. Oh well. If your able to pick, I recommend avoiding the tinted glass. And I'm still searching for a straight set of trim/moulding

Van Fan
    My Van(s):
    1985 LE auto 300k, 1988 5spd 4wd 140k.

I just had two windshields replaced professionally and am glad I did; Couple things if you were to tackle it; foam shimming off of the pinchweld required about 3/4 an inch on the aftermarket windshields (2 bumps on bottom that hold the glass in place- it still barely stretches the fit)- Make sure you get the new clips, do a dry run installation for alignment before you adhere it, also get the primer that goes on the metal and one for the glass (they were different) to set the right reaction. Tape a peice of masking tape on the windshield to the front body and then cut where they join so when you adhere and set it in you've got something to line up with. Not a difficult job, but having it done correctly the first time was worth me sitting one repair out and playing the "caddy role". I would definetly do it myself next go round, yet I feel I would have made some mistakes that would have been a pain to reverse once the eurathane hit the glass. The guy asked me if I could have done it (I had everything needed- almost) my reply, I can now.

Forum Newbie
    My Van(s):
    1987 LE

Windshields and cracks

Having just replaced the second windshield in my 1987 Toy van in the last four years due to rocks hitting and causing cracks, I am wondering if anyone has ever tried carrying around their own rock chip glass kit that they sell for consumers? If so, do they actually work?

The last rock hit 1/4 inch below the top molding and started to crack within an hour - I couldn't even have located a glass person that fast I don't think. Thought I'd try carrying a glass kit myself to see if I can prevent this problem (replacing the whole windshield) from happening again. I had a helluva time even locating a new windshield and it was EXPENSIVE...

My Van(s):
    1987 4WD Automatic

Re: Windshields and cracks

I'm sorry to hear about your cracked windshield.
    I don't have any info on a "rock chip glass kit", but I'm requesting you post your source for
    a new windshield (and price) so the rest of us have that info to work with.

Thanks!
    "You came in that thing?... You're braver than I thought!" - Princess Leia

My Van(s):
    87 LE in full "restormodif" mode... ... All Toyota with a twist or two! 89 4WD cargo in need of a little reshaping.

I posted this info there http://www.toyotavantech.com/forum/s...an-parts-mecca a while ago.I found it back searching Safelite
    LG.
    "perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away." A. de St Exupery.

Forum Newbie
    My Van(s):
    1987 Toyota Van LE 4x4

We replaced our full-height cracked windshield last weekend (8/4/2017). We live in the Washington D.C. area. During the previous two weeks the Safelite shop in Arlington, VA could not locate a windshield. During that time we found another auto glass shop in Lanham, MD (Auto Glass Now...apparently a national chain auto glass shop), who found an after-market windshield. The Auto Glass Now price was 50% less than what Safelite estimated, and with the same warranty - Auto Glass Now ($192) and Safelite ($390). The Safelite shop did call and said they found an after-market windshield, but we told them we no longer need one.

That said, if you still need a windshield try calling this shop directly at 703.236.4205 (instead of the national toll-free number) and ask for Steve, the shop manager.

Good luck with your windshield project.