Thread: Recommended Head Replacement

Van Addict
    My Van(s):
    1986 LE

Recommended Head Replacement

Greetings to all:

Had a serious head issue where the head gasket needed replacement. By way of the great support on this site I was able to understand what to replace and how to do it. In doing so one task was to have the head checked for cracks, planed, valves redone and such.
    Found that the price to have this done ranged between $250 to $300 locally here in the Daytona Beach area in Florida.
    Instead I found an outfit that sold new heads with all new valves installed and ready to go for $279. They also had the replacement head bolts also which I got too.

The guy there is named JR and he was very helpful. When I got the head a few things were different. The holes for the senders were not all the right size. I had to mix and match the holes to the senders like the Oh Crap air bypass, Over Drive, and Temp. But at the end of the day I got them all done. The other thing was the line up studs for the exhaust manifold and the intake. There is suppose to be 4 and they only had 2. That was a waste cause the two left were in the wrong position. So I just removed them.

I slapped on the manifolds and torqued everything down and when finished she purred like a kitty cat. I did not want to post this until I knew it real did work well. I now have 500 miles on it and it still purrs. Anyway, for those that want to just get a new head this is the place. You can get them here: https://www.fulcrumparts.com. They basically do fork lifts. And as most of us know, 4Y's are used heavily in fork light units. They have new engines also. According to JR the only chance is the reverse the oil pan. Just an FYI. Again JR was very good and helpful. You have to pay for the shipping but if you buy an entire engine it is free freight.
    Anyway, thought I would announce that.
    See pics, wonder which one is new?
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Van Addict
    My Van(s):
    1987 Toyota 4wd Cargo Van

Re: Recommended Head Replacement

Did you replace the cam by chance? Or did you run the original?

Got a pic of the bottom surface?

Van Addict
    My Van(s):
    1986 LE

Re: Recommended Head Replacement

Sorry for the time delay in this.

I went through all my pics and I must have not shot that. It was perfect. All planed and ready to install.

Performance is excellent

I did not replace the cam. There was no need to. Well within limits.
    In fact even the main and connecting rod bearings were well within limits.
    He replacement them anyway but not the came or the crank.

MT