Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Stalling Mystery

My Van(s):
    Lots of them

Re: Stalling Mystery

It's always a good idea to perform tests and follow the manual. I think it's an ECU because it's flashing code while running, but no code is recorded. Also that VSV is controlled by the ECU and it's freaking out. The ECU also controls the Fuel Cut RPM feature and based on a previous post you made I thought that was also acting up. Faulty input to the ECU can cause it do do strange things, but unless it's a power input, it would store code and retain it. Since it's not retaining trouble code(s) I'm fairly confident the issue is inside the ECU. Nothing special about replacing the ECU, just unplug the old and plug the "new" one in. Tim

Van Fan
    My Van(s):
    1987 LE Passenger Automatic

Okay, so I attempted to locate an article on accessing the ECU on TVT but couldn't find one so I just dove in and removed the interior trim piece just to the left and behind the driver seat, only to find what appears to be body metal. Doesn't seem to be any kind of access panel to where the ECU should be mounted. My best guess is that I would need to remove the seat belt retractor and then reach up into the bodywork and pull the ECU out through the seat belt retractor hole. Am I on the right track here or barking up the wrong tree?

Van Fan
    My Van(s):

I was right. I got the ECU out. Took photos of the process for the purpose of posting a How-To article if there isn't one on the TVT yet. Replacement part has been ordered from RockAuto. Spending less is always nice but when it comes to electrical/electronic parts, I feel much more confident in a remanufactured part with a warranty versus the risk of a functionally unverifiable pull-a-part. Anyway, should receive the part and know the outcome before the end of this week, and will follow up with results.

My Van(s):
    Lots of them

I'm fairly confident it's your ECU, but there's not an easy way to be 100% sure until you swap it. Now that you have hundreds of dollars on the line I certainly hope I made the right call. My apologies for assuming you knew how to access. Here's a couple threads where that is discussed:

https://www.toyotavantech.com/forum/...driving-87-van

https://www.toyotavantech.com/forum/...1526#post41526

Your PDF is awesome! Thanks for the contribution! Tim

Van Fan
    My Van(s):

TIMSRV,

You sir, R O C K!

Stalling Mystery solved! It was indeed, the ECU. Got my ECU from RockAuto today. It actually arrived with a bent terminal in the 10-pin connector.

But with my magnification lamp and some needle nose pliers, I got that terminal straightened out and the ECU installed. Engine fired up within less than one second on the first try and ran well. Absolutely no visible smoke from the tailpipe. Allowed the engine to idle until full operating temperature, then tried to invoke the problem but could not. Shut the engine off, allowed it to cool for a while, then repeated the test for invoking the problem but could not. Next, I road-tested it with no issues. Shut the engine off and allowed it to cool for a few hours, then road-tested it again to complete two drive cycles, with absolutely no issues. I can’t tell you how happy I am with this outcome. I am indebted to you. I am also very thankful to ‘PNW vanwagon,’ ‘JPERL,’ bikeregg,’ ‘trestlehed,’ and anyone else who responded to my thread. Everyone’s responses have been added to my Knowledge Base for future reference if needed. This was a challenging problem that finally ended in victory. Time for celebration! Thank you all. I just can’t thank you enough. I had big plans for this van cosmetically, car shows, etc. – which I can now pursue thanks to the help from you. I’m no expert on these vans, but I sincerely hope that I can help others in the same manner on this website forum. I have other minor issues, for which I will start a new thread IF needed. But as for the Stalling Mystery……this is my “signing off.”
    Attached Images Attached Images  

My Van(s):
    Lots of them

I think dancing bananas are appropriate here

My Van(s):
    1987 4WD Automatic

PrecisionDriven, congrats on your victory!

Also, I didn't know that Rock Auto is a parts source for ECU's.
    Good to know!
    "You came in that thing?... You're braver than I thought!" - Princess Leia

Van Fan
    My Van(s):

Yes. RockAuto had them under the category of Electrical, AND will accept returns on this item. PartsGeek.com also sold the same exact one BUT accepts no returns on electrical/electronic parts, which I went with RockAuto.

Van Addict
    My Van(s):
    (2) 1989 2WD LE VAN Wagons

No ECU's availiable for 1988 and 1989 Model Vans

Van Enthusiast
    My Van(s):
    1987 4x4 5spd LE

Well I have been chasing a 'miss' issue for about 2 months on the '87 4x4 5spd 334k miles. At first only at speed, a flicker of the CEL and a momentary hesitation. No codes from the ECU. As I was still setting a baseline for this van I bought two years ago went ahead with plugs, rotor, cap and wires. No change - momentary flicker but no codes. Replaced ignitor - still no change. Drove it around for a days and finally pulled Code 11. Well knowing some about the PO maintenance prior to my purchase I was discounting the AC switch, TPS and Neutral Switch. ECU!! Heck of a jump and the last listed item for Code 11 but what made me try this first is I went nearly a month with the 'Miss' but never recorded a code. EBay Swan Auto had one used ( I don't believe a Cradooone rebuild is the way to go). Received today and put in. Run about 40 milers so far, multiple restarts, freeway and around town. Idle is more consistent on restarts also. Not missing at all. So there may be something to the aging of the ECUs when they do not record an event but you saw the CEL blink.

Just this guy's observation and it may not be correct for you.

SoORYotas

Van Fan
    My Van(s):
    Toyota 1989 Van Wagon

Quote Originally Posted by timsrv View Post
    I think it's a bad ECU (Electronic Control Unit). Get the number off your old one and use it in an eBay search. Hopefully you'll find one for cheap and that will solve your problem. If nothing else it's good to have a spare around and/or to use as a troubleshooting tool.

Forum Newbie
    My Van(s):
    1985 Toyota Van, Automatic

Hey, thats my picture with the clogged injectors! ive since cleaned them and rebuilt them.
    Also took my tank to a radiator shop to have it cleaned out, painted and sealed.
    She runs like a dream now!