Thread: 1985 Van inner speedometer cable alternative?

Forum Newbie
    My Van(s):
    1985 cargo

1985 Van inner speedometer cable alternative?

Has anyone made there own inner speedo cable. Is it possible? Looking for a replacement or alternative.
    Will one from the same year Toyota pickup truck work and be long enough? I have found a few of those.
    joe

Van Addict
    My Van(s):
    (2) 1989 2WD LE VAN Wagons

Re: 1985 Van inner speedometer cable alternative?

A speedo shop should be able to create a solution that would work. The truck one will be too short. As a matter of fact the MR2 of the same vintage might work since it was rear engine and would have a long speedo cable

Forum Newbie
    My Van(s):
    1985 cargo

Re: 1985 Van inner speedometer cable alternative?

Quote Originally Posted by JPERL View Post
    A speedo shop should be able to create a solution that would work. The truck one will be too short. As a matter of fact the MR2 of the same vintage might work since it was rear engine and would have a long speedo cable

I have found a few MR2 sellers that show that they work for the vans as well. But, on their spec page it says 1986-89 vans.
    Mine's a 85.
    Are the cables different on those or do all 2wd versions (84-89) essentially use the same length and end tips?
    I really don't need the whole cable, just the interior so if the tip ends are right and the length is right the screw on connectors don' have to be I suppose.

joe