Thread: Power train removal and transport solo. Take 3

Van Fan
    My Van(s):
    84 LE MT

Power train removal and transport solo. Take 3

From reading these posts it seems like more than a few of you are DIY’ers. So I thought I’d post my adventure at the Richmond PNP this weekend with pictures this time. A 110K 3YEC with auto. So I only needed the engine. Didn’t really need it but mine has 350K so someday will. This is the 3rd time I’ve done it this way. Once again at PNP which I posted on the old site and then in a garage which I posted here but without pictures. This is improved from then.

You just need 7 objects.

Hand tools
    Appliance dolly with strap.
    Come-a-long
    1/8th inch strand with hasp about 12 feet long
    2, 1/2” thick by 4x12” OSB boards.

And for loading and transport

2, 2x6” by 5’ boards.
    Toyota van

Tie strand around roof and attach come-a-long between it and engine hook. Lift engine slightly.
    Remove all attachments including engine mounts and bar so engine is just there swinging.

Remove driveshaft. Lower come-a-long until engine is resting on the ground. Being an automatic it is only supported by one through bolt into the frame which acts as a pivot. Hammer out the through bolt and support the end of the trans with your body until you lower it to the ground. It is not heavy since the engine on the ground is taking all the weight. Note if this were a MT you’d need a jack or a bunch of 2x6’s to gradually lower it while lowering the engine simultaneously. PNP doesn’t allow jacks into the yard but you can usually find one. In fact usually they don’t remove them from our vans since they are hidden. That was the case that day plus I found 2 others nearby.

Once the power train is on the ground attach the come-a-long to a nearby vehicle and pull it out from under. It needs 22” clearance. I had an inch to spare or I would have had to use the jack.

Remove trans, mount engine on Dolly, and pull into van using come-a-long and ramps. I tied the other end to the headrest and it worked!

I’ve downloaded 12 photos and in my PNP bin so hopefully they will attach.
    Attached Images Attached Images             
    Last edited by theojo; 09-03-2019 at 09:50 PM.

My Van(s):
    89' TownAce Auto SuperExtra 87' 4x4 5spd LE 87’ 4x4 5spd Cargo

Re: Power train removal and transport solo. Take 3

Nice thank you for taking the time to write it up and post pictures, wish you were here to help me pull the engine from a van I’ve been pulling parts from with only 117k miles on the clock!!

I could use the hands on training

JDM

Van Obsessed
    My Van(s):
    1988 4WD LE auto dual range t-case (the mistress) 1988 4WD LE auto(the donut van)

I've done this twice at PNP on vans with sunroofs and used the provided engine hoists through the sunroof. Once lifted out of the van I used a hood or trunklid that always seem to be laying around like a slide and slid them out the passenger door into a waiting wheel barrow. Transmissions were left in situ.

My Van(s):
    89' TownAce Auto SuperExtra 87' 4x4 5spd LE 87’ 4x4 5spd Cargo

Quote Originally Posted by originalkwyjibo View Post
    I've done this twice at PNP on vans with sunroofs and used the provided engine hoists through the sunroof. Once lifted out of the van I used a hood or trunklid that always seem to be laying around like a slide and slid them out the passenger door into a waiting wheel barrow. Transmissions were left in situ.

Wanna put on a clinic at the Lynnwood PnP I’ll meet you there

JDM

Van Fan
    My Van(s):
    84 LE MT

Quote Originally Posted by originalkwyjibo View Post
    That’s a great idea. Or even cut or chisel a hole in the roof big enough for the chain hook of no sunroof. The wheel barrow would have been easier to roll on the gravel as well with larger wheels.

This one did have a sunroof luckily since I desperately needed the back one since mine was so rusty. I had been looking for one for years at PNP but the sunroofs are getting rare around here.
    Attached Images Attached Images