Thread: 5 spd shift points

Van Fan
    My Van(s):
    86 2wd auto LE 87 4wd 5spd

5 spd shift points

Ive searched every combination of words I know , does anybody have knowledge of rpm/shift ranges on the 5spd 4wd ?

Van Fan
    My Van(s):
    1988 MasterAce Surf

Re: 5 spd shift points

Are you looking for economy or power? These little engines are great for economy and not so great for power. Generally, you would want your cruising speed to be 1/3 to 1/2 of your RPM red line. I'm sure you could do a search on "calculate shift point RPMs" and be able to factor in your tire size, gear ratios and final drive ratio to determine recommended shift points. But, the horsepower and torque curves would also have to be considered. You might have some success looking up a horsepower and torque curve chart and that might help you figure this out. If money was no object, you could take the van to a shop with a dynamometer and they could provide recommendations. Toyota might have some information too.

Alternately, you could simply drive it. Wind it out, see where the power drops off. Make note of the RPMs. Then, drive conservatively, vary the shift points and note when you start to lug the engine because the RPMs get too low when you shift.

I would imagine, for economy, you would wind up shifting between 2,000 - 2,500 RPM, possibly inching closer to 3,000 RPM as you shift into 5th gear. I have a 2ct turbo diesel with automatic transmission, and that is about where mine shifts when I drive conservatively.

Van Fan
    My Van(s):

I am looking for the actual specs from Toyota for reference to hi-low4wd . Or a thread that this has been discussed . I do a lot of mountain/hilly driving I want a comparison of some sort for performance reasons .I have larger tires and other mods .

Van Fan
    My Van(s):

First hand comparisons would be nice . I have 15" tracker rims 215-75-15 tires aprox 11/2 " lift and a bit of extra weight . I run high air flow air filter , the catalytic converter removed ( no censer on downside ). As a means of comparison , shifting into second gear going uphill on a fairly steep grade , I'm up at 3500 rpm or so in first and if I hit second with less than 2200 rpm or so I cant crawl uphill , no guts there at all, causing me to downshift back to first . I also was wondering if others are at about 3200- 3600 rpm in third , between 35-48 mph on nearly level rode with 45mph/3300 rpm feeling like the sweet spot in hill country . I usually only hit 4th at 50 mph around 3800rpm if its long grades or straightaways.

Van Fan
    My Van(s):
    1988 MasterAce Surf

Quote Originally Posted by Maxisback View Post
    First hand comparisons would be nice . I have 15" tracker rims 215-75-15 tires aprox 11/2 " lift and a bit of extra weight . I run high air flow air filter , the catalytic converter removed ( no censer on downside ). As a means of comparison , shifting into second gear going uphill on a fairly steep grade , I'm up at 3500 rpm or so in first and if I hit second with less than 2200 rpm or so I cant crawl uphill , no guts there at all, causing me to downshift back to first . I also was wondering if others are at about 3200- 3600 rpm in third , between 35-48 mph on nearly level rode with 45mph/3300 rpm feeling like the sweet spot in hill country . I usually only hit 4th at 50 mph around 3800rpm if its long grades or straightaways.
    I can't give a reasonable comparison from my automatic transmission diesel engine but....

I'll cruise on the interstate at 70 MPH at about 3,000 RPM in overdrive. I was paying good attention yesterday, shift points tend to be around 3,000 - 3,500 RPM. At 55 MPH I'm turning 2,300 RPM in overdrive. If I'm accelerating hard, it'll pull up to 4,500 - 5,000 RPM (red line)...and I don't like to run it like that much. I'm in hill country, east of the Appalachians, and my van does struggle a bit on steep grades.

My 2.0L turbo diesel is rated at 80 HP, I think the non-turbo is 70 HP. I believe the gasoline engines are similar HP ratings. What I'm saying, these things don't have tons of power. I had a jeep Wrangler with a 2.0L 4 cylinder, and it wouldn't pull a 7% grade in 5th gear at 65 - 70 MPH. Just got to turn the RPMs up to pull up those mountains.

I know I might not be very helpful, but I'm trying. This forum is not the most responsive...

Van Enthusiast
    My Van(s):
    '87 5-speed 4WD Cargo

I shift pretty much according to what the owner's manual says: from 1 to 2 at 10-15 mph, 2-3 at 25-30; 3-4 at 35-40 and 4-5 at 45-50. A lot depends on whether or not I'm on a hill. My aim in using the transmission has always been to preserve the gears for as long as possible. Some say I drive "like an old lady". Well I wasn't an old lady when I bought the van 32 years ago. I am old now, but my driving has not changed at all since the van was new.

Van Addict
    My Van(s):
    1987 Toyota 4wd Cargo Van

I drive mine like I stole it...

On hills I will wrap that little 4ye up to the limit... 55-60 in 3rd gear. 4th and 5th for the long flats. I hit 50 in 2nd at times...

I really want a turbo, theres just no where to fit the dang thing in that engine bay.

Van Fan
    My Van(s):

ME TOOOO ! So what rpms are you hitting at 55 in third etc.

My Van(s):
    1987 Toyota Van LE 4x4 5spd, on 30x9.50R15s, boosted to 16PSI

Quote Originally Posted by Flecker View Post
    I really want a turbo, theres just no where to fit the dang thing in that engine bay.
    Oh, there is room.

https://youtu.be/PzEYfJcv80s

Van Addict
    My Van(s):
    1987 Toyota 4wd Cargo Van

Quote Originally Posted by Maxisback View Post
    ME TOOOO ! So what rpms are you hitting at 55 in third etc.
    I hae no tach, but I am guessing around 52-5400... You can wind the thing up pretty high. It basically runs like any other 5 speed truck or 4runner I have had with the little 22re in it. Almost a side by side comparisson really.

And dang it VanCo. Now I need to find an old garret or something and relocate the battery...