Thread: Hard to put stick into 1st gear

My Van(s):
    1986, 2wd

Hard to put stick into 1st gear

I am having troubles putting the shift stick into first gear, what would be some common causes of this? My brake fluid level is at the right spot.

I'm guessing it's the master cylinder?

EDIT

I did notice some fluid leaking from the clutch master cylinder. If this was the problem, would it make it difficult putting the stick into gear?

Either way, I just ordered a new one because the current one is leaking. I was not able to find any tutorials or posts about how to change this out? It looks like it's in a very tight place tucked up and under the dash. Should you be dissembling anything to get to it, it change it out by reaching up?
    Last edited by AnotherUser; 09-08-2019 at 06:50 PM.

Van Fan
    My Van(s):
    1988 MasterAce Surf

Re: Hard to put stick into 1st gear

Clutch could be worn. Does it lurch when going into 1st? Does it try to pull forward even though the pedal is depressed?

My Van(s):
    89' TownAce Auto SuperExtra 87' 4x4 5spd LE 87’ 4x4 5spd Cargo

I just had my leaky clutch master cylinder replaced cause it was leaking on my left foot, I wasn’t experiencing the difficulties of putting it in first gear but here’s athread that discusses both the clutch master and brake master clylinders-

https://www.toyotavantech.com/forum/...=Clutch+master

It’s been 2 years since replacing my clutch with a aftermarket Luk brand clutch and I remember back then I wasn’t able to shift thru the gears after the van warmed up and they replaced the clutch master and some other part in the clutch that wasn’t allowing the clutch to engage properly, after the repair it’s been running well.

check out posting 60&61-

https://www.toyotavantech.com/forum/...t=Aisin+clutch

If your clutch is the issue here’s a thread with some clutch info-

https://www.toyotavantech.com/forum/...t=Aisin+clutch

Check out some of the threads, if one of them relates to your issues you’ll have a better response by one of the more experienced members and let us know so we can either merge or delete this one to clean things up

Thank you

JDM

My Van(s):
    1986, 2wd

Quote Originally Posted by bikeregg View Post
    Clutch could be worn. Does it lurch when going into 1st? Does it try to pull forward even though the pedal is depressed?
    No, once it's in gear it sits without moving and when I let out clutch it moves forward like it normally would

Van Addict
    My Van(s):
    1987 Toyota 4wd Cargo Van

Quote Originally Posted by AnotherUser View Post
    No, once it's in gear it sits without moving and when I let out clutch it moves forward like it normally would
    Did you crawl under and check the shift linkage on the trans? Maybe pop the center console up and see if theres an obstruction?

Just spit balling.

These vans have a cable linkage between the shifer and the trans... I can't really think of what else it could be... and it's just first? Kinda rules out the clutch master to me. Mine leaked for a while before I finally replaced it.

The first thing I would inspect would be the shifter linkage under the shifter console.