Thread: Previa Yahoo Group refugees may be arriving

Van Enthusiast
    My Van(s):
    1992 Previa AT LE

Previa Yahoo Group refugees may be arriving

With the imminent demise of the Previa Yahoo Group, talk has turned to where to resettle, and FYI I have been touting this site as the preferred destination. So if you hear the virtual sound of approaching whistling exhausts and clattering revolvers, that's what's going on. Not entirely sure how many are left - there are probably 8-10 active posters, but lurkers make themselves known on occasion.

My Van(s):
    87' blue LE 4wd 5spd, sold it in 2000, sad ever since.

Re: Previa Yahoo Group refugees may be arriving

There goes the neighborhood.
    1987 4wd 5spd Cargo van (uncut)-modding in 3,2,1

Van Enthusiast
    My Van(s):
    1992 Previa AT LE

We'll try to settle in downwind, so the white smoke from the failing head gaskets doesn't limit your visibility.

All this fancy-shmancy website stuff; it's gonna take us awhile to adjust from what we're accustomed to...

My Van(s):
    Lots of them

I thought I noticed the smell of VC oil smoldering on a header........oh wait, that's just you guys . Seriously though, I think you'll all find this forum is much easier to navigate. I never could figure out how to find anything on the Yahoo group site. FYI we're happy that you chose this site to migrate to. Your experience and expertise will be very much appreciated here. Welcome aboard! Tim

Van Fan
    My Van(s):
    1986 RWD

Welcome brothers and sisters. May your SADS last another 100k.

Van Addict
    My Van(s):
    97 Previa DX SC AWD...alive! 95 Previa LE SC AWD (RIP) 93 Previa LE AWD (rustbucket w/ no reverse...parts van) 91 Previa LE AWD (RIP)

Quote Originally Posted by man_btc View Post
    We'll try to settle in downwind, so the white smoke from the failing head gaskets doesn't limit your visibility.

All this fancy-shmancy website stuff; it's gonna take us awhile to adjust from what we're accustomed to...
    Thank you Yahoo, for finally sucking so bad that you're forcing the rest of the group over here! The Yahoo Group web interface has been almost unusable for 10 years, good riddance! Vbulletin is great, crisp clean and simple yet extremely functional. I hope all the great Previa minds there are able to make the transition here.

Van Addict
    My Van(s):
    97 Previa DX SC AWD...alive! 95 Previa LE SC AWD (RIP) 93 Previa LE AWD (rustbucket w/ no reverse...parts van) 91 Previa LE AWD (RIP)

I'm afraid that I have inadvertently added to some of the confusion surrounding the demise of the yahoo group, because I didn't understand it myself. I will mention it here so that I don't compound it any further.

As I mentioned on the group, except for something saying yahoo won't host user content anymore, I never noticed the original statement with the fine details about all this. That's because I haven't checked my Yahoo email account in years. Well I looked at it today and found the full notice. I'm going to append it below.

So this tells me important things I didn't understand from postings on the group. Most importantly, the group isn't vanishing, just the website is. The email list will not be going away, which explains why some long term members haven't expressed much concern about the coming changes. However I have always read the group on the website, and I'm not sure if I will automatically be receiving emails. I just chose "Daily Digest" in my yahoo setting and hopefully that will ensure that I receive emails. But if not, who is the Group Moderator? In all the years I have been on the list I've never seen anyone calling themselves the moderator. If any new member wants to join, they also need to contact this mysterious Group Moderator. This might be why another poster here couldn't sign up, because October 28 was the cutoff for signing up the old way.

I am guessing that most people will still use the email list rather than this site, which is a shame because I prefer web forums to sifting through hundreds of emails.

I'm kind of baffled that Yahoo thinks most people want to receive information this way. Most of the email lists I have been on died long ago in favor of forums, and Yahoo thinks its trending the other direction?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Customer Support
    ©2019 Yahoo
    701 First Avenue, Sunnyvale, CA 94089
    Dear Group Moderators and Members,

Thank you for your commitment to Yahoo and for helping us define the power of digital communities. Eighteen years ago, we combined the functionality of a site called eGroups.com with a precursor community platform called Yahoo Clubs to launch Yahoo Groups. Since then, you and millions of others have helped prove our hypothesis, by creating and joining more than 10 Million groups.

A lot has changed about the Internet since 2001, including the ways most people now use Yahoo Groups. Today, most Yahoo Groups activity happens in your email inbox, not on the bulletin boards where Yahoo Groups started in the pre-smartphone age. Increasingly, people want content and connections coming directly to them, and this is why we continue to invest in Yahoo Mail -- including the recent launch of a new Yahoo Mail app that is currently the highest-rated email app in the App Store and Google Play.

So, as our users’ habits have evolved, we have begun the process of evolving our approach to help active Yahoo Groups thrive and migrate to our email platform. To help you plan for these changes, below is the schedule of how this transition will happen.

Beginning October 28, 2019:

• Users will be able to join a Yahoo Group only through an invite from the Group Moderator or by submitting a request to join a Group, which requires approval by the Group Moderator.
    • Since we are moving Group communication from posting on message boards to email distribution, uploading and hosting of new content will also be disabled on the Yahoo Groups website.

Beginning December 14, 2019:

• All Groups will be made private and any content that was previously uploaded via the website will be removed. We believe privacy is critical and made this decision to better align with our overall principles.
    • If you would like to keep any of the content you’ve posted or stored in the past within your Yahoo Group, please download it by December 14 by accessing this link.

As these dates get closer, we will send follow-up reminders. More information about the upcoming changes can be found here.

While this evolution of Yahoo Groups is inspired by how we see the platform being used today, we know change can be difficult. Here are a few important facts as we make this transition:

1. Yahoo Groups is not going away - We know that our users are deeply passionate about connecting around shared interests, and we are evolving Groups to better align with how you use it today.

2. New groups can still be formed - Users can continue to connect with others around their common bonds and interests. From animal rescues to sporting and activity groups, civic organizations to local PTAs, members of our Yahoo Groups will remain connected and able to share their activities and interests. All of the content that you have shared previously on the website, can continue to be shared via email.

We know that Yahoo Groups is an important online extension of your real-life group of friends, interests and communities, and we are committed to supporting communities that rely on Yahoo Groups. Thanks for coming along with us this far. We look forward to seeing where the technology -- and you -- take us in the decades to come.

Sincerely,
    The Groups Team

Van Addict
    My Van(s):

Phew. Well I am getting the daily digest from the group now, so that's good. I guess I'll use a couple of these in celebration.