Thread: How concerned should I be about the radiator cracking (pic included)

Forum Newbie
    My Van(s):
    92 Previa

How concerned should I be about the radiator cracking (pic included)

Hi, a friend who was a more keen about cars mentioned my radiator is starting to crack.

here is the photo

96427899-70A4-4C94-8F33-6D1847F6F197.jpg

Since I have been pretty much given this by dad I have been looking into maintaining her as much as possible since I coumm on d probably never afford a new car (at least not for a very long time)

we are the 3rd owners, I guess I am technically the 4th. Nothing seemed to be serviced or the van has lasted things long but seems it’s time to replace things.

The fuel filter was said to be the original I had it swapped. I had the oil pan and valve gaskets replaced and new spark plugs (oil was being leaked onto the exhaust manifold), New rear shocks, front links replaced, and replaced the cv boot, ball joint and shaft on the right side. Seems like there is a lot more to do. I’m sure things such as the SADS needs some maintenance. I heard the oil distributor is a good place for oil to leak. A mechanic showed my that my rear differential was leaking.

the funny thing is after all that it seems like I’m getting worse mileage, especially using Fuel injector cleaner (I’m sure the fuel injectors are/were really dirty) my friend said maybe it’s time to check the catalytic converter

The radiator is now a concern

I was also wondering if I do get it replaced what other things could be swapped out while the job is being done in that area.. Thanks. Wish I was more knowledgeable with automobile

My Van(s):
    1991 Previa 1992 Previa 2004 Sienna

Re: How concerned should I be about the radiator cracking (pic included)

Duane Brassette from Louisiana here.
    you must replace the radiator forthwith. It is important to prevent leaks and it costs just a little over 100 dollars from eBay.
    lot is not difficult to replace. Plug the transmission line holes by sticking pencils in them you will need to get about a $200 tool kit to begin maintains your previa. That is much less than a car note. Best of luck.
    duane
    I Play for a living and work for fun.

Van Fan
    My Van(s):
    1992 Toyota Previa LE

Yes, you should definitely replace your radiator. That is a rather cheap item as mentioned above.

What did you mean by plugging the transmission lines with a pencil? I do not understand what you are suggesting to the OP.

Van Fan
    My Van(s):
    67 Chevy 69 Chevy 70 Chevy 96 Previa 04 Sprinter

Quote Originally Posted by apham8 View Post
    What did you mean by plugging the transmission lines with a pencil?
    The bottom radiator tank contains a small transmission fluid cooler if equipped with an automatic transmission. The trans pumps fluid through it via a loop of small pipes and hoses. They must be disconnected when removing the radiator. Remove the 2 clamps and hoses at the radiator and plug the hoses to prevent losing a bunch of transmission fluid. You will lose the fluid remaining in the cooler, but it's only a few ounces. Just remember to top up the transmission when it's all buttoned up.

Forum Newbie
    My Van(s):
    92 Previa

thanks guess I’ll do the whole thing and flush the radiator lines while I’m having it done. Anything else you could recommend to do while I’m in there?

Van Fan
    My Van(s):

I recently replaced my radiator with a Chinese one from RockAuto. Fit perfectly, but was missing the small outlet nipple on the upper tank, driver's side, to feed coolant to the throttle body (supercharged models only). I teed off of the connection to the pressure tank on the other side and it seems to be OK. No problem if yours is not supercharged, but verify this provision if it is.

Also, the bottom tank has two brass elbow flare fittings for the transmission cooler lines. I used those fittings from the old radiator and had everything all buttoned up and the van back on the road before I found the new fittings taped inside the box. Look for them.

No need to flush the trans fluid lines as part of this whole procedure, just change the trans fluid and filter when it's due.

Forum Newbie
    My Van(s):
    92 Previa

plan on doing this fix when I drive to my parents house for the holidays (400 mile trip) So what did you do for the missing outlet nipple or did you end up finding them in the box too?

and did you use the red Toyota coolant to fill er up? I’ve been using green Preston’s 50/50, the past 2 years, because the levels would go down, It might have had a leak but when it seems to go down, I just top it off.. The color in reservoir Is brown. I didn’t know you were suppose to not mix them. As far as I know it has never been flushed I don’t know anything
    Last edited by llamavan; 12-07-2019 at 12:33 AM.

Van Enthusiast
    My Van(s):
    91 Previa 5 Speed M/T Alltrac, 93 Previa 5 Speed M/T RWD

If your thermostat has more than 100K on it, or if you don't know, change it at this time, too. Get genuine Toyota - it's a cheap part and a very easy job. Hardest thing is finding the engine drain cock! Actually, since the thermostat housing is about the lowest point on the whole system you could just take that off and let the coolant drain into a big pan right there. Be sure to remove the filler tank cap for proper draining - it's all a closed system.
    See this for why you need a decent thermostat
    https://www.toyotavantech.com/forum/...via+thermostat
    Regarding coolant type, while the red stuff is no doubt better quality, I have used the green prestone in both my truck (400K) and my Prev (250K) with no ill effects. Mixing them? I dunno.
    Do you have a genuine Toyota Previa repair manual, from the factory, not a Hanes? It is extremely good and well worth tracking one down (ebay?)
    Last edited by Jonny; 12-07-2019 at 10:08 AM.

Van Fan
    My Van(s):
    1992 Toyota Previa LE

As for the comment regarding finding a Toyota Factory Repair Manual for the Previa, it is a must have. Many mechanics do not want to touch a Previa because they are afraid of dealing with the unknown of a mid-engine minivan. It’s not all that complicated to work on these, but nonetheless they are different.

I bought all three Factory Repair Manuals for the Previa (General Factory Repair Manual, Electrical Wiring Diagram Manual, and the Automatic Transmission Repair Manual) for approximately $75.00 shipped. They’re definitely on eBay at reasonable prices. There are less and less of these Previas on the road every year and no mechanic shop is going to lose any real money turning away work on Previas. So get the Factory Repair Manual that will make the difference between fixing your Previa versus junking it.

Van Fan
    My Van(s):
    1992 Toyota Previa LE

By the way, I definitely used my Factory Repair Manual when changing out my radiator two months ago. It also has instructions for bleeding the coolant system out.

Van Fan
    My Van(s):

Quote Originally Posted by pnwPrevia View Post
    So what did you do for the missing outlet nipple?
    The nipple is part of the molded plastic upper tank, not a separate part. As noted in the previous post, I inserted a tee fitting into the small hose from the upper radiator tank to the pressure tank on the passenger side, and ran a new hose to the throttle body. I also added a filter to this line, as suggested in this YouTube clip. So far, so good.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NkF0lthUZm0

… and did you use the red Toyota coolant to fill er up?
    I have always used plain ol' ethylene glycol (green) antifreeze, as recommended in the factory Toyota repair manual. What is the claimed advantage of the red stuff?

Forum Newbie
    My Van(s):
    92 Previa

I guess there has been claims that mixing some coolants makes it turn into sludge that corrodes and clogs in some areas. I need to decide if I should do a flush before replacing the radiator rather than flushing afterwards. doesn't make much sense to run a new one with a dirty hoses. Looking to buy a repair manual here soon.

Van Fan
    My Van(s):

I need to decide if I should do a flush before replacing the radiator rather than flushing afterwards.
    Loosen/remove the radiator drain cock, the engine block drain fitting, and remove the thermostat. Catch all that nasty crap so you can take it to the recycler. After everything stops dripping button it all up and refill with plain water. Set the heater control to full heat, start the engine and bring it to full operating temperature. Repeat the drain and refill procedure repeatedly until only clear water comes out. The system is now "flushed".

Install the new radiator and thermostat and refill with plain water one more time. Bring it all up to temp again, and after you're satisfied there are no leaks drain the water and refill with your favorite antifreeze solution. Done.

The engine block drain fitting resembles a big brake bleeder. Just loosen it a turn or two with a 10mm socket and it should drain. But it's probably plugged with twenty-some years of corrosion and sediment. If so, remove it altogether and also remove the brass fitting it seats into. That requires a 14mm socket, I think. Poke a stiff wire through all the holes, clean both pieces thoroughly, put a wrap or two of teflon tape on the brass fitting, and screw it back into the block. The bleeder fitting goes back in dry.

My original question remains: What is the claimed advantage of the red antifreeze? Never mind the potential mixing problem.

Van Fan
    My Van(s):
    95 Previa SC, RWD, Auto

Quote Originally Posted by tbuyan View Post
    Loosen/remove the radiator drain cock, the engine block drain fitting, and remove the thermostat. Catch all that nasty crap so you can take it to the recycler. After everything stops dripping button it all up and refill with plain water. Set the heater control to full heat, start the engine and bring it to full operating temperature. Repeat the drain and refill procedure repeatedly until only clear water comes out. The system is now "flushed".

Install the new radiator and thermostat and refill with plain water one more time. Bring it all up to temp again, and after you're satisfied there are no leaks drain the water and refill with your favorite antifreeze solution. Done.

The engine block drain fitting resembles a big brake bleeder. Just loosen it a turn or two with a 10mm socket and it should drain. But it's probably plugged with twenty-some years of corrosion and sediment. If so, remove it altogether and also remove the brass fitting it seats into. That requires a 14mm socket, I think. Poke a stiff wire through all the holes, clean both pieces thoroughly, put a wrap or two of teflon tape on the brass fitting, and screw it back into the block. The bleeder fitting goes back in dry.

My original question remains: What is the claimed advantage of the red antifreeze? Never mind the potential mixing problem.
    OAT, HOAT, and the others offer longer service intervals as the biggest benefit (life-of-the-warranty fill) and the additive packages are better for Fe/Al and all-Al engines.
    -Russell
    "You don't get to judge me for how I fix what you break"
    -95 Previa SC RWD
    -05 Subaru Baja Turbo, 03 Subaru Baja NA, 01 BMW R1200c, 94 Firebird v8, 70 VW Beetle

Van Fan
    My Van(s):

Quote Originally Posted by kamesama980 View Post
    OAT, HOAT, and the others offer longer service intervals as the biggest benefit (life-of-the-warranty fill) and the additive packages are better for Fe/Al and all-Al engines.
    Thanks