Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: frozen bolt (to adjust alternator belt)

My Van(s):
    1985 Toyota Van

Re: frozen bolt (to adjust alternator belt)

Your missing your wingnut bolt. I found mine in a junk yard. Mine was being held in by the tension of the red bolt alone, stripped alternator made it essential to fix with a longer bolt, it held for awhile but eventually the rest of the threads striped. I used a zip tie to the aluminum block and where the blue wingnut holds. Eventually it gave and i replaced it with two. They held for quite some time until I found the bolt.

Van Enthusiast
    My Van(s):
    '87 5-speed 4WD Cargo

Thank you, phychotron .

The upper photo you posted looks like the one Flecker posted, and the lower one looks like the one I posted. But I see a huge difference between the two photos.

The red nut in the lower pic appears to be in a completely different location than the red one in the upper pic. Also, I do not see the alternator in the lower pic! I Do Not See It.

Is there something *removed* from above the alternator in the upper pic? Do I need to remove something before I can SEE my alternator?

Is there a DIFFERENCE between what you are calling the power steering belt and the alternator belt?

The belt that is too slack in my van is the one you can see in the lower photo with the label that reads "PREMIUM TOP (something)" sideways twice.

My Van(s):
    1985 Toyota Van

The alternator is below the power steering pump. Its missing in the photo the other person posted. The radiator hose goes over the back red nut normally.

The alternator and power steering both have a different belt. They both connect to the main pulley.

Van Enthusiast
    My Van(s):
    '87 5-speed 4WD Cargo

Quote Originally Posted by phychotron View Post
    Your missing your wingnut bolt. I found mine in a junk yard. Mine was being held in by the tension of the red bolt alone, stripped alternator made it essential to fix with a longer bolt, it held for awhile but eventually the rest of the threads striped. I used a zip tie to the aluminum block and where the blue wingnut holds. Eventually it gave and i replaced it with two. They held for quite some time until I found the bolt.
    I was typing my previous reply while you posted this, so I did not see it before my last post. I don't know what you mean by missing my wing nut bolt. I just have no clue. I can't even see my alternator, the way you can clearly see an alternator in Flecker's photo.

Van Enthusiast
    My Van(s):
    '87 5-speed 4WD Cargo

The alternator is below the power steering pump. Its missing in the photo the other person posted. The radiator hose goes over the back red nut normally.

The alternator and power steering both have a different belt. They both connect to the main pulley.
    Now I am completely lost. Are you saying that I need to remove the power steering pump before I can see my alternator and adjust its belt? If your answer is yes, then I probably don't need any more guidance. If you say no, then I need help to find the thing that needs to be turned.

I don't know which one is the main pulley. You highlighted a bolt head in red in both photos, but they are in two different locations.
    Last edited by Suzu; 11-10-2019 at 09:07 PM.

My Van(s):
    1985 Toyota Van

No need to remove the power steering pump, you just need to reach your hand down there. You can get to it with tools and its not too hard to remove if needed. I'll try and find a photo of how I fixed mine when I was missing the wing-nut-bolt. You also do not need to remove or mess with the power steering belt either. The alternator belt is completely independent. The power steering belt will need to come off only if you want to replace the alternator belt.

Van Enthusiast
    My Van(s):
    '87 5-speed 4WD Cargo

You were posting at the same time that I was editing my previous post.

My Van(s):
    1985 Toyota Van

The main pulley is the big one on the engine. The alternator belt it goes around it, the water pump and the alternator. The power steering belt goes around the power steering pump, belt tensioner and down to the main pulley.

Here's how I fixed mine. I first got a longer red bolt because the alternator was stripped from the previous owner. It eventually stripped out the remaining threads from slipping and needing readjustment. Rather than take the radiator hose off and put a longer red bolt with a nut on the end I chose to use zip ties temporarily (I didn't know the blue wing-nut-bolt existed.). I highlighted the zip ties in blue as it replaces the wing-nut-bolt.

Name:  Alternator_Fix_2.jpg
Views: 1373
Size:  60.9 KB
    Last edited by phychotron; 11-11-2019 at 12:31 AM.

Van Enthusiast
    My Van(s):
    '87 5-speed 4WD Cargo

I see zip ties but they appear to be black, not blue. Where are the blue ones?

Forgive me, I still don't have a clue about how to tighten my alternator belt. I'm just so tired of trying to understand it all. My mind refuses to function on this level anymore today.

My Van(s):
    1985 Toyota Van

Quote Originally Posted by Suzu View Post
    Thank you, phychotron .

The belt that is too slack in my van is the one you can see in the lower photo with the label that reads "PREMIUM TOP (something)" sideways twice.

Just read this. That's the power steering belt. Adjust the belt by adjusting the belt tensioner

Loosen red(apply tension to the belt to hold the pulley if needed). Tighten blue (spray a few times daily for few days with penetrating fluid if stuck). Tighten Red.
    Name:  Belt_tensioner_fix.jpg
Views: 2067
Size:  80.8 KB

Also, it looks like you have the wing-nut-bolt on the alternator but its hidden from by a metal hose.

My Van(s):
    1985 Toyota Van

I see zip ties but they appear to be black, not blue. Where are the blue ones?

Forgive me, I still don't have a clue about how to tighten my alternator belt. I'm just so tired of trying to understand it all. My mind refuses to function on this level anymore today.
    Do you see any blue in the photo? colorblind? I used photoshop to highlight the black zipties blue so it would be easier to understand that they are replacing the wing-nut-bolt. However if you got a better photo of your alternator I think it might be there in your van.

And if its the top belt that your trying to tighten that's not the alternator belt. The alternator belt is hard to see, it tucks back into the engine and to check the tension you'll need to reach your hand down into the engine bay and grab onto it down there.

Van Enthusiast
    My Van(s):
    '87 5-speed 4WD Cargo

Do you see any blue in the photo? colorblind? I used photoshop to highlight the black zipties blue so it would be easier to understand that they are replacing the wing-nut-bolt. However if you got a better photo of your alternator I think it might be there in your van.

And if its the top belt that your trying to tighten that's not the alternator belt. The alternator belt is hard to see, it tucks back into the engine and to check the tension you'll need to reach your hand down into the engine bay and grab onto it down there.
    I see zero blue highlighting in any of the photos that you have claimed blue highlighting exists in. In two of them I see some purple highlighting but in the last one you posted, only black on the zip ties. I am far from color-blind.

The top belt seems to be too slack. If it's the one doing the squealing, so much the better because I can at least SEE it. I thought it was the alternator belt doing the noise because of when I hear the squealing (it's not when executing turns).

Wish I had known this all early in the day. It was 70 F. here today. Tomorrow and for a while to come it's going to be too damned cold out to mess with the car. Too bad I have to drive 130 miles round trip to the doctor on Wednesday.

My Van(s):
    89' TownAce Auto SuperExtra 87' 4x4 5spd LE 87’ 4x4 5spd Cargo

Suzu, in Fleckers picture posting number 8 you can see the alternator clearly because his power steering pump has been removed, in your picture posting 9 you’ve taken a picture of the power steeering adjustment bolt... 2 totally different locations. Your picture of the bolt is directly under the radiator cap and the 3 sensors. Looking at your picture posted in number 19 it looks like you don’t even have a alternator in there let alone the wingnut adjustment bolt? I think that’s what your missing??Please don’t take it wrong everyone is trying to help and sometimes it’s easy to get lost in reading and translations.For me... I don’t see the alternator in posting number 19?<br><br>JDM

Van Addict
    My Van(s):
    1987 Toyota 4wd Cargo Van

Quote Originally Posted by JDM VANMAN View Post
    Suzu, in Fleckers picture posting number 8 you can see the alternator clearly because his power steering pump has been removed, in your picture posting 9 you’ve taken a picture of the power steeering adjustment bolt... 2 totally different locations. Your picture of the bolt is directly under the radiator cap and the 3 sensors. Looking at your picture posted in number 19 it looks like you don’t even have a alternator in there let alone the wingnut adjustment bolt? I think that’s what your missing??Please don’t take it wrong everyone is trying to help and sometimes it’s easy to get lost in reading and translations.For me... I don’t see the alternator in posting number 19?JDM
    <br><br>The adjuster bolt is there, it's just hidden under the PS hard line. <br><br>
    <br><br>
    I'm really trying to help, but I think I'm just gonna back away from this one. I'm to snarky and just a complete A-hole with this kind of stuff.

<br><br>Really though, good luck Suzu, hope ya get it.

My Van(s):
    89' TownAce Auto SuperExtra 87' 4x4 5spd LE 87’ 4x4 5spd Cargo

Quote Originally Posted by Flecker View Post

The adjuster bolt is there, it's just hidden under the PS hard line.

I'm really trying to help, but I think I'm just gonna back away from this one. I'm to snarky and just a complete A-hole with this kind of stuff.

Really though, good luck Suzu, hope ya get it.
    <br><br>Flecker,<br><br>good eye... eyes of experience, thank you for pointing it out!! I still don’t see the alternator, or maybe it’s just the angle of the picture or my cataracts? But in all seriousness I think it’s the angle of the picture so I can’t see it.<br><br>JDM

Van Enthusiast
    My Van(s):
    '87 5-speed 4WD Cargo

Quote Originally Posted by JDM VANMAN View Post

Flecker,

good eye... eyes of experience, thank you for pointing it out!! I still don’t see the alternator, or maybe it’s just the angle of the picture or my cataracts? But in all seriousness I think it’s the angle of the picture so I can’t see it.

JDM
    <br><br>I CAN SEE IT! THANK YOU SO MUCH, FLECKER!!! Now, is there something I have to loosen up first, before trying to turn that wing nut?

Van Addict
    My Van(s):

I CAN SEE IT! THANK YOU SO MUCH, FLECKER!!! Now, is there something I have to loosen up first, before trying to turn that wing nut?
    <br><br>
    I'm almost afraid to respond...&nbsp;<br> Hang on, lemme post a VISUAL.

Van Addict
    My Van(s):

Loosen the bolt highlighted by the RED arrow first. (loosen counterclockwise)<br><br>Then tighten the wingnut highlighted by the GREEN arrow. (twist it to the right)<br><br><font face="Verdana,Arial,Tahoma,Calibri,Geneva,sans-serif"></font><br><br>After your done tighten them up again...<br><br>After al this, when you realize that the belt that is actually squeeling is the Power steering belt, hit up Phycotron's photo and instructions.<br><br><br>

My Van(s):
    1985 Toyota Van

When trying to tighten the alternator belt an important thing to remember is to only hand tighten the wing nut. Don't use a tool to tighten it. Wingnuts are used to stop people from over tightening something with a wrench. Chances are if its already tight it won't spin any more. Check the tension on the belt, it should move up and down just a little bit, less than a quarter inch. If its good then its almost certainly the power steering belt.

Sometimes you can tell its the power steering belt and not the alternator belt because it will squeal when you turn the wheels. but not so much when straight.

Sometimes you can tell its the alternator belt because it starts to squeal when you turn lights or radio or anything that uses electrical power.

Since you won't be able to work on it for a few days its a perfect opportunity to spray penetrating fluid on the rusty bolts on the belt tensioner once or twice a day till you can get to it.

As for my graphics; I used blue but I see now how it turned out purple in my pictures. Ignore everything i said about zip ties (though they are highlighted blue/purple, not sure why your not seeing the color if you can see the zip ties)

Van Enthusiast
    My Van(s):
    '87 5-speed 4WD Cargo

I fully understand what to do now, thanks to you wonderful folks. Just one question left: In Flecker's latest pic, the bolt with the red arrow *appears* to be directly behind a pulley or something, which would make it impossible to turn with anything other than a crescent wrench unless the object in front of it was first removed. Is that correct? If not, is that thing that must be turned actually *not* behind something that makes it inaccessible to a socket wrench, and it just looks like it is?