Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: frozen bolt (to adjust alternator belt)

Van Enthusiast
    My Van(s):
    '87 5-speed 4WD Cargo

frozen bolt (to adjust alternator belt)

If the bolt for tightening the alternator belt is rusted and immovable, what's to be done to free it up?

2. 11-10-2019, 11:18 AM

Reason
    no longer relevant after extensive mod work to separate multiple topics

3. 11-10-2019, 11:54 AM

Reason
    no longer relevant after extensive mod work to separate multiple topics

Van Addict
    My Van(s):
    1987 Toyota 4wd Cargo Van

Re: frozen bolt (to adjust alternator belt)

I got this..........

PB Blaster is the rust fixxer.
    HERE!

Your welcome!

Van Enthusiast
    My Van(s):
    '87 5-speed 4WD Cargo

Thanks for the link. I did use penetrating oil on the bolt (before asking for help here). It's not in a spot where I can get at it with a hammer, and I'm not real comfortable with the idea of using a propane torch inside the engine compartment. The belt has too much play and it's squealing. Not too bad just yet, but still would like to be able to tighten it up.

Van Addict
    My Van(s):

Could be a bad pulley or a loose belt. If it's in fact the alternator belt then yah, it's more than likely just loose. Let the PB blaster sit on it for a good while. It will penetrate in there and break free for you.

Van Enthusiast
    My Van(s):
    '87 5-speed 4WD Cargo

It is most assuredly the alternator belt. I sprayed the oil initially and waited about half an hour. No go. Sprayed a bit more and waited an hour. Still nothing. How long is "a good while"?

Van Addict
    My Van(s):

Depends on how bad the rust is.... The bolt with the wing nut or the bolt with the block? The bolt with the block requires you to take the tension off first. The one that is tightened in to the alternator itself.

Van Enthusiast
    My Van(s):
    '87 5-speed 4WD Cargo

Well I don't see any wing nut. The top is hexagonal -- is that what you are calling a "block"? I didn't know about loosening a different item first. Not sure if you're referring to another bolt.... but if so, is it the only one that goes "in to the alternator itself"?

Van Addict
    My Van(s):

Take a pic of the bolt... or just point to it...

Van Enthusiast
    My Van(s):
    '87 5-speed 4WD Cargo

Name:  Alternator bolt.jpg
Views: 1060
Size:  98.8 KB
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Suzu; 11-10-2019 at 03:14 PM.

Van Addict
    My Van(s):

ok, thats your power steering belt tensioner. First hose it down with some thread lube, like PB blaster... Next, loosen the pulley bolt enough to ease the tension on the block. Should loosen up after the pb penetrates the threads some.

Beyond that advice, I don't know what else to say...

Van Enthusiast
    My Van(s):
    '87 5-speed 4WD Cargo

I don't know what to say either.... If that's the power steering belt tensioner, where the heck is the thing that needs to be adjusted to tighten the alternator belt? Because that's the only thing I see that looks like an adjuster of some sort in the general vicinity of the alternator.

Van Enthusiast
    My Van(s):
    '87 5-speed 4WD Cargo

I apologize for what the rest of you must see as my extreme ignorance of the working of automoblles. Believe me, I would love to leave this stuff to the experts, but it's just not affordable. Adjusting the tension on the alternator belt ought to be do-able, even for a dummy like me. In fact I ought to be able to do MOST of the repairs that my vehicle needs, but if I can only manage the simpler ones, that's a great help. I did manage to put in a rebuilt alternator, and a new water pump, and I did the HOD myself. I'm ignorant, but I can learn!

Van Addict
    My Van(s):

I literally posted a picture of it, post #8.

Don't take this the wrong way, but did you have some head trauma at some point? I've had a couple of concussions... it's all I can think of.

Van Addict
    My Van(s):

Wait. You put the alternator IN, and your struggling to figure out the tensioning for it?

K, I'm out. This is the exact type of thing that I will get banned again over...

Good luck Suzu.

Van Enthusiast
    My Van(s):
    '87 5-speed 4WD Cargo

It was years ago and the only time I've ever done such a thing. If I had to do it again, it would be only a tiny bit easier than if I had never done it.

Van Enthusiast
    My Van(s):
    '87 5-speed 4WD Cargo

Quote Originally Posted by Flecker View Post
    I literally posted a picture of it, post #8.
    Indeed you did, but when I look in the same spot in my van, I don't see the same thing as what's in your photo! Shall I post a photo of what I do see, taken from the same angle as your pic? I only posted the photo above to show the stuck bolt but I can take another pic to show that there's nothing like what your pic shows anywhere near MY alternator.

Don't take this the wrong way, but did you have some head trauma at some point? I've had a couple of concussions... it's all I can think of.
    As a small child, I had a scalp wound once. It bled a lot but didn't cause a concussion.

Van Addict
    My Van(s):

I'm really sorry Suzu... I really wanted to make this work between us (your alternator belt). It's not you, it's me.

Maybe one day we can talk about it... but I'm just confused and don't see us working it out anytime soon (YOUR squeeky belt).

Please understand I really wanted it to happen...

Flecker.

My Van(s):
    1991 Previa 1992 Previa 2004 Sienna

I am a Previa guy - a newby refugee from the Previa Yahoo group that is closing down.
    Maybe I can help a Toyota Van brother in need.
    just as you are not lost as long as you have gas in your tank, you are not sunk as long as there are wrench flats on the nut or bolt.
    lit appears that you do still have a viable head. The various penetrating oils take time to work. Sometimes several days. Avoid just adding torque as you might break the bolt or strip the head.
    one way to hasten the removal is with direct hammer blows to the stuck portion of the thread. In this case it is where the bolt threads screw into the cube shaped silver block that serves as a nut of sorts. Applying impact to this place can be accomplished by using an extension bar and a hammer. You can use a 3/8Ē socket extension that is long enough to reach the cube block and extends high enough to enable you to reach it with a hammer. Hold the extension with vise grips so you will not hit your hand if you miss or I should say when you miss. Use a hammer that weighs 16 ounces or less. A heavy hammer will not travel fast enough to deliver enough shock to the block. Another way to deliver shock waves to the block is to use a rivet gun or even a masonry impact drill with an old broken off bit. The ability to deliver many impacts is important as these shock waves will loosen the hold and allow penetrating oil to penetrate.
    Donít get in a hurry. This can be a daunting job and take a lot of time.
    As the owner of an older vehicle that you need to keep running while tight for money, always be on the lookout for bolts and bits and pieces for future repairs.
    Since the belt is laying rubber for a while, go ahead and replace it once you get things going your way.
    when you have the items disassembled, use a round wire brush to clean the female threads. A gun cleaning wire brush. Also wire brush the male threads. Apply Never-Sieze or a comparable lubricant to the threads when you reassemble.
    good luck!
    Duane
    I Play for a living and work for fun.

Van Enthusiast
    My Van(s):
    '87 5-speed 4WD Cargo

Thanks so much for the info, Duane. The problem seems to be (as I mentioned in my last reply to Flecker) I'm not finding anything in my van near the alternator that looks like the pic he posted. I have taken another pic of what I do see. Maybe I'm missing something, but I do not see an adjusting mechanism for the alternator belt. Can you see one?

Name:  alternator.jpg
Views: 1056
Size:  98.3 KB

My Van(s):
    1985 Toyota Van

First loosen the red bolt with a wrench. Tighten the Blue Wingnut by hand until you get the right tension. Tighten the red bolt.

Note: the photo shows a nut on the back of the alternator, that should not be there. it becomes inaccessible when the water hose is in place. Whoever put that on there is asking for trouble later. Its a solution when your missing the blue wing-nut-bolt and a slightly longer bolt won't hold on its own (as was mine when I first got it).

Name:  Alternator_fix.jpg
Views: 1053
Size:  96.1 KB

As for the belt-tensioner to adjust the power steering belt, the pulley slides up and down using that rusty bolt sticking up and down. However the block that it goes to is tightened down to the pulley so it doesn't slide up and down freely. First you have to loosen the pulley before you can adjust it. Same concept as the alternator but with a hex head instead of a wing-nut. The bolt goes thru the pulley, doesn't need to come off. If you try and adjust the tension without loosening the pulley first you'll bend the thing. Sometimes the pulley spins when your trying to loosen it, apply tension to the belt to tighten it up

Name:  Belt_tensioner_fix.jpg
Views: 1150
Size:  80.8 KB

Liquid wrench works a little better than PBlaster. Sometimes it takes multiple applications over a few days. Its dissolving years of rust.