Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 4runner upper ball joint conversion?

Forum Newbie
    My Van(s):
    87 4WD LE

Re: 4runner upper ball joint conversion?

Quote Originally Posted by timsrv View Post
    Hey, now let's keep it clean

I'm in the middle of the busy season and it's the busiest it's ever been. We're working till at least 8 pm every night, and often as late as midnight. I'm backlogged into July now, so this doesn't leave any time for van projects. Sorry, but I won't likely be looking at this thing for a long time. When I do I'll be thorough and I'll make a detailed post. Tim

Happy new year!!!

xmas/new years is over and the kids are back in school. still wishfully hoping theres an update on this.

my van started to pull left when i brake. im thinking it might be lower control arm bushings but have yet had time to take off the wheel and look at it. could also be my passenger side brake caliper not working? idk, any input would be greatly appreciated!

Forum Newbie
    My Van(s):
    87 4WD LE

What's the difference between the 2wd and 4wd front upper control arm anyways? I was at the local yard today and saw the control arm setup for a 2wd van and they have upper ball joints that are removable. Would I be able to switch the upper control arm from a 2wd into my 4wd? If that's the case, I can just make a spacer for the upper ball joint and get the lift I want.

Something tells me the Torsen bars from my 4wd won't work on a 2wd control arm. Can someone please shed some light on this before I spend the whole day at the yard taking it all apart and then finding out it won't work, thanks!!! ❤️❤️😿😿😿👬👬👬👬

My Van(s):
    Lots of them

The control arms are quite different & the torsion bars between 2wd & 4wd are different lengths & diameters. If you were getting into a major project (fabricating, swapping, etc), then having 2wd van control arms around for evaluation and/or modification would be a good idea. Who knows, you might be able to come up with something that could utilize the 2wd parts. I plan on doing this some day and I have a lot of new parts laying around for this very reason. I grabbed an upper control arm for a 4wd, laid it next to a 2wd arm, and took some pics:

Here are close-ups of the torsion bar mount areas

2WD

4WD

Here's a 2wd with the torsion bar mounted:

Heres a 4wd with the torsion bar mounted:

Okay, here's some information I have documented regarding torsion bars:

86-89 2wd Toyota van
    P/S torsion bar #48161-28020
    D/S torsion bar #48162-28020

The above bars measure 39 3/8" long (1 meter). They are .78" dia. (19.8 mm), both splined ends are identical having 37 splines each. The minor diameter of the splines measure 1.060" (26.924 mm) & the major diameter measures 1.112" (28.245 mm).

Downey makes a 24mm torsion bars for 79-95 2wd Toyota trucks, but the overall length is 35 1/8" long (4 1/4" too short).

They also make a 26mm torsion bar for 86-95 IFS 4wd Toyota trucks, but these measure 41 3/4" long (2 3/8" too long).

According to Mike at Downey, these are the closest thing they make. I asked if there was any way to beef up original bars, and the answer is no. I asked if the splined ends were the same, but he was busy and asked me to call back later. I probably wouldn't bother except there might still be something positive here.

I haven't disassembled to measure the bars on a 4wd yet, but according to a member who has, the 4wd bars are 22mm diameter but are 25mm (about 1") longer than the 2wd bars. This is due to the difference in the way they mount to the upper control arms. This means the Downey 26 mm bars are only 1 3/8" (34.925 mm) too long for the 4wd vans and the Downey 26mm bars may just fit into a 4wd with some minor fabrication as shown here:

Here's a stock rear torsion mount:

Here's one modified to accept a longer bar:

Coronan (member here) has already done some mods to use 95 4Runner bars (25mm diameter) and I may just follow his example when I do my project. If you're planning something like this, his thread is one to bookmark for sure. Here it is: https://www.toyotavantech.com/forum/...orsion-bar-MOD

If/when I get around to my project I'll bug the guys at Downey about getting some specific measurements of the splined areas on the 26mm bars. If they're the same, it might be worth a shot.

Van Addict
    My Van(s):
    4x4 Cargo

Did tim or anyone ever figure this out? I did the aerostar springs and tacoma bilstein shocks in the rear so now the front could use some attention. A lot of the components are wearing out, and the torsion crank makes it insanely bouncy. I'd love to get in there and replace some of the front end stuff (think it might need a new rack/pinon as well...) and figure out a way to get that additional lift without cranking torsions. additional travel would also be super nice, if its achievable. i also really like the idea of being able to use cheap/readily available 4runner parts

Van Addict
    My Van(s):
    4x4 Cargo

Tim, did you ever do the 4runner upper ball joint conversion? I'm looking to do ball joints and it appears with 4WD's you have to replace the entire upper control arms (which are prohibitively expensive) ...the extra lift would also be nice

My Van(s):
    Lots of them

Sorry, but I won't likely be looking at this thing for a long time. When I do I'll be thorough and I'll make a detailed post. Tim
    This particular project is low on my list of priorities.........perhaps if I ever retire?

Van Enthusiast
    My Van(s):
    91 Previa 5 Speed M/T Alltrac, 93 Previa 5 Speed M/T RWD

This particular project is low on my list of priorities.........but I'm retiring next week
    Tim - I fixed your previous post for ya.

Van Addict
    My Van(s):
    4x4 Cargo

Hahaha, Tim - go ahead and retire - you have our permission (and gratitude)

My Van(s):
    Lots of them

Quote Originally Posted by Jonny View Post
    Tim - I fixed your previous post for ya.
    LOL.........I wish I could afford to. If you guys send me enough money, perhaps I can retire early . Tim

Van Enthusiast
    My Van(s):
    87 4x4

Tim,

I thought you were using helper shocks / coil overs?
    Part Numbers?

I pulled my upper arms off and there is no play (zero) in my upper ball joint.
    My van had 150,000 mi when i got it. The grease ports had plugs in them. I put in the metric zerks and grease a about once / year.

It now has 260,000. Still no play!

My Van(s):
    Lots of them

I was using Gabriel coil-overs on one of my overloaded 2wd vans. It did help with the ride height but made the front bouncy. I wouldn't recommend those unless you're overloaded and it's a last resort to get some suspension back. I will likely eventually do something like you did with stronger torsion bars, then put some good KYB's or similar there. Tim

PS: Regarding your ball joints.........OEM Toyota ball joints are some damn good joints. If it ain't broke........don't fix it

Van Enthusiast
    My Van(s):
    1989 townace 4x4 turbo diesel

Is it possible to pull the ball joint out of the arm with a puller? It looks like its just pressed in there, but I haven't taken a good look up close.

If the ball joint could be removed from the upper arm I wonder if you could replace it with a longer stud, then put a spacer in there between the spindle and joint. Kinda like putting a few washers on before tightening on a nut.

So did anyone ever complete the 4runner balljoint conversion? worth it? pros cons?

Van Fan
    My Van(s):
    1988 TV Panel 4x4 5-Speed 1989 TV LE, Dual Sunroof, 2WD Automatic

Talking Re: 4runner upper ball joint conversion?

Hi folks. I know this thread is older, but I've been curious if anyone knows what year model 4Runner Ball joints would work. Or, are they basically just a standard size item across most years?
    I'm about to lift "Crusty" and would like to keep my ride as comfortable as possible by avoiding too much crank on the torsion bars if possible.

I'm doing the Bilstein pistons and Aerostar Springs that have been recommended in other threads. Also I'll be going with Suzuki Sami 15" wheels with Either BFG's or General Grabbers.

Thanks for any help.

This is Prelift.
    IMG_7961.jpg

Van Fan
    My Van(s):
    1986 Toyota Van 2wd

So....

What’s the review on 2wd ball joint spacers ?

Van Obsessed
    My Van(s):
    88 4WD DLX 5spd

Being that you're in the 4WD section of the forum, I doubt you'll get much "traction" asking 2WD questions

Van Fan
    My Van(s):
    1986 Toyota Van 2wd

Dang

I’m getting sag up front on my 2wd and wondered if 2” spacers would help.

Van Obsessed
    My Van(s):
    88 4WD DLX 5spd

If you're getting sag then spacers are NOT the answer, address what's causing the problem and fix it.

As long as nothing is broken or worn, you should be able to crank the torsion bars a bit to correct the ride height.

Van Fan
    My Van(s):
    1986 Toyota Van 2wd

The struts are new. I’m going to swap the ball joints next go. Maybe sagging torsion bars ?

Van Obsessed
    My Van(s):
    88 4WD DLX 5spd

Shocks control rebound.

Ball joints (all joints for that matter)should only be replaced if they show looseness/play or are seized.

The only thing that controls height is spring tension, or in this case, the torsion bar.
    When springs sag they get replaced.
    Torsion bars however have some adjustment, so you can increase the load on the bar and raise the van back up to spec.
    I cant imagine the procedure would be different from 4wd but ride height and where to measure likely will be, best to consult the manual.

Van Fan
    My Van(s):
    1987 4wd 5spd

Has anyone condsidered converting the whole control arm from say a 4runner of the year instead of modifying the existing the control arms to accept different ball joints? And then from there running some of the 4runner kits? Im going to be getting my hands on a 1987 4runner CA and doing some measurements to see how difficult it would be.