Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 4runner upper ball joint conversion?

Van Enthusiast
    My Van(s):
    87 4x4

Re: 4runner upper ball joint conversion?

I tried calling them a while back. Ended up leaving a message. They never responded.

Forum Newbie
    My Van(s):
    87 TV 4wd auto, lifted, dual range transfer case 85 Vw Westfalia 2wd

Hello guys, if anyone is interested, I'm selling my van for a very low price $1200 obo. The newer engine is smoking excessively and I'm not going to fix it. If anyone wants it for the ball joint conversion parts or the dual range transfer case, it'll be a very good deal. Plus it has a ton of new parts like tie rods, tires, calipers and the list goes on.

Thanks, Ric

Forum Newbie
    My Van(s):
    '87 Toyota VAN 4x4

Tim, any headway on this?

Im in the need of replacing mine and thought I would go this route. But any help would be appreciated.

Jay

My Van(s):
    Lots of them

Sorry,

This is a "fun" project & as such get's a low priority. Too many high priority projects, too little time

My Van(s):
    1987 LE 2wd capn chairs auto 1987 LE 4wd capn chairs 5speed Have owned:.......ive owned 8 other vans, i cant remember all of them sorry

Bump bump, lol i bet they are still in a box eh tim?

My Van(s):
    Lots of them

Yes, at least I found the box and know where it is. Still too busy with other more important things. This project is way down low on the priority list (sorry). Tim

My Van(s):
    1987 LE 2wd capn chairs auto 1987 LE 4wd capn chairs 5speed Have owned:.......ive owned 8 other vans, i cant remember all of them sorry

Cool cool

My Van(s):
    1987 4wd manual trans cargo conversion

This one is worth waiting on, tim. You da man.
    "What? Me, worry?" *nervously looks at temp gauge*

My Van(s):
    Lots of them

I was slowly getting caught up on projects, but now my 02 F350 started missing. Turns out the 7.3 turbo diesel is losing compression in cylinder #3 . Still runs decent when warm, but is starting to smoke and runs like crap when cold. So that's the next big project. Just found a core engine and tore it down this weekend...............evaluating. Big project! Had to buy a special engine stand as this thing weighs 1,000 lbs! Just boxed up the injectors for shipping (for service)........those alone are huge and together weigh 25 lbs!

My Van(s):
    1987 4wd manual trans cargo conversion

Boy, it never ends... the 7.3 is a reasonably stout machine, too! My dad has an early 90s model with nearly 450,000 miles on it. Good trucks. Good luck, Tim!
    "What? Me, worry?" *nervously looks at temp gauge*

My Van(s):
    Lots of them

Yes, mine only has 185k miles on it. It had 150k on it when I bought it (2010) but was a repo and I don't know history. It didn't have an air cleaner on it and I don't know how long it was driven that way . If the PO was using starting fluid this can cause rings to break, which is what I suspect happened. A broken ring will gradually score the cylinder wall until it has trouble building compression. Tim

Forum Newbie
    My Van(s):
    87 4WD LE

Any news on this? Looks very interesting and might be a better bet than just cranking the torsion.

My Van(s):

I literally think about this every day. I think those 4 runner ball joint spacers are available for around $60 a set, but whiteout more info, I'm not gonna try to tackle this project. I also want to find out the height, i.d, and o.d. ot the coil spring spacers.

Forum Newbie
    My Van(s):
    87 4WD LE

Quote Originally Posted by gushaman View Post
    I literally think about this every day. I think those 4 runner ball joint spacers are available for around $60 a set, but whiteout more info, I'm not gonna try to tackle this project. I also want to find out the height, i.d, and o.d. ot the coil spring spacers.

lol, everyday?

My Van(s):

Every day I drive my van, my 235 75 15 tires rub when steering is almost at full lock. Everyday I drive my van and I hear the rear tires rub on the plastic mud flaps. Every day I think about it, and everyday I am tempt to bother tim about it, lol

Van Obsessed
    My Van(s):
    1988 4WD LE auto dual range t-case (the mistress) 1988 4WD LE auto(the donut van)

Wow! I thought I was the only one with this affliction. Nice to see it affects others as well. I almost tried to talk him out of them over the weekend. My lower BJ suddenly got real sloppy and while replacing it I noticed what I considered A LOT of vertical play in the upper BJ. I checked the manual and discovered they allow .091" vertical play! I've been waiting for my cranked torsion bars to rip these things apart. On a side note, if anyone is ever in a pinch and needs a lower ball joint, the truck/ 4runner lowers will fit. They just don't have the arm for steering stop.

Edit: The Moog ball joint fits, Parts Master not so much. The part # for both brands is K9587. Could be helpful in a pinch when the correct part is unavailable.
    Last edited by originalkwyjibo; 05-20-2015 at 11:57 PM.

Van Obsessed
    My Van(s):
    1988 4WD LE auto dual range t-case (the mistress) 1988 4WD LE auto(the donut van)

Hey Tim! Any chance of a mini photo shoot?

Forum Newbie
    My Van(s):
    87 4WD LE

Quote Originally Posted by gushaman View Post
    Every day I drive my van, my 235 75 15 tires rub when steering is almost at full lock. Everyday I drive my van and I hear the rear tires rub on the plastic mud flaps. Every day I think about it, and everyday I am tempt to bother tim about it, lol

hahhahahahahhahahah!!!! That's tough, I hope this happens sooner for your sake!!

My Van(s):
    Lots of them

Quote Originally Posted by originalkwyjibo View Post
    My lower BJ suddenly got real sloppy and..............
    Hey, now let's keep it clean

I'm in the middle of the busy season and it's the busiest it's ever been. We're working till at least 8 pm every night, and often as late as midnight. I'm backlogged into July now, so this doesn't leave any time for van projects. Sorry, but I won't likely be looking at this thing for a long time. When I do I'll be thorough and I'll make a detailed post. Tim

Van Obsessed
    My Van(s):

I guess I should have done some proof reading. LOL We'll be anxiously waiting. Glad to hear you've got plenty of work.