Thread: Transmission problem

Van Fan
    My Van(s):
    Toyota Van 1984 2wd

Transmission problem

Hello everyone, I own a Toyota Van ‘84, manual stick. Yesterday I had a problem with my transmission where the stick got stuck in 1st gear and I couldn’t drive or change gears, also my clutch is very soft.. basically shot.. What could be the problem and what should I do? Is the clutch by wire or hydraulic?

Van Addict
    My Van(s):
    1987 Toyota 4wd Cargo Van

Re: Transmission problem

Quote Originally Posted by iq_artwork View Post
    Hello everyone, I own a Toyota Van ‘84, manual stick. Yesterday I had a problem with my transmission where the stick got stuck in 1st gear and I couldn’t drive or change gears, also my clutch is very soft.. basically shot.. What could be the problem and what should I do? Is the clutch by wire or hydraulic?
    It's hydraulic.

It's either the master or the slave cylinder... possibly one other thing, but it's the last looked at thing.

Get a buddy to rule out the hydraulics first. First check your fluid level, at the fluid redervoir. The brake master and clutch master share the same res.. Drivers side when you open the door.

If that's full, have a buddy press the clutch pedal while you watch the slave cylinder on the passenger side of the tranny. If it's traveling all the way, then you can rule that out. If it's not you'll know it's in the hydraulic system and can narrow it down to either the master or the slave cylinder. There is info for both o this site, just do a quick search.

My Van(s):
    89' TownAce Auto SuperExtra 87' 4x4 5spd LE 87’ 4x4 5spd Cargo

There’s a few threads that discuss what your experiencing, have a look using the search feature and typing in “clutch master cylinder” you’ll need to read and review some of those threads to see which one relates to what your current issue and then post in that thread, you’ll be surprised how many new things you’ll stumble upon while your doing this and it’ll help you in the future. Once you post in the related thread it’ll notify the members that have posted in the thread and when they have time they may even reply and help solve your issue

check out this thread for beginners and if this isn’t the one for you then try the search feature-

https://www.toyotavantech.com/forum/...aster+cylinder

Good luck and let us know so we can delete this posting so there’s not duplicate partial threads.

JDM

Van Fan
    My Van(s):
    Toyota Van 1984 2wd

Thank you very much guys for your quick reply. I will do a search about “clutch master cylinder” and I will let you know again. thanks again!!&nbsp;<br><br>

Van Fan
    My Van(s):
    Toyota Van 1984 2wd

So I read about the master cylinder, and I believe it’s something I will replace soon, as well as the slave cylinder. I still have some questions please.
    I will give you a briefly story about my van's situation, I had the break light on for a few days and I took my van for a service and they were able to turn it off. After a few days the light turned on again. I did't pay attention to it for a long period and I kept driving, during this time I had a hard time changing gears between 1st and 2nd. So yesterday my stick got stuck in 1st gear permanently. I towed my van home and the same day I opened this thread. Today I checked my reservoir to see if I'm low on DOT 3 brake fluid and it was full, all the way up. So what I did, I turned on the van and I stared pumping my clutch.. my clutch came back, back to normal and the break light turned off.
    Could you please let me know what could be the problem.. Probably a hose or the master cylinder is blocking the flow of the fluid?

any help will be appreciated it, thank you!

My Van(s):
    89' TownAce Auto SuperExtra 87' 4x4 5spd LE 87’ 4x4 5spd Cargo

Check out this thread and see if it relates to your problem, sorry I don’t have an exact answer. Up this thread has a couple of YouTube videos that show the member was having a hard time putting the shifter into gear.

https://www.toyotavantech.com/forum/...Slave+cylinder

I’m thinking that Flecker has pointedly you in the right direction based on your symptoms but you’ll really need to search and read the various threads that’s are similar to what your experiencing cause I’m sure the answer lies in one of them.

JDM

Van Fan
    My Van(s):
    Toyota Van 1984 2wd

JDM VANMAN thank you again!! I will read the link you sent me and search more. I forgot to mention my clutch and my gears work fine.

Van Addict
    My Van(s):

So over the years the reservoir gets dirty, and ithe muck over time shows on the outside of the reservoir to make it 'appear' full when in reality it's low.

Pull the cap off and look down in there. It will more than likely be low. It's hard to shift because you have a leak in the hydraulics and won't release the clutch adequately. Somewhat common after 30 years...

The symptoms you gave are saying the Clutch master or slave is bad. Good news it's a relatively simple fix!

Van Fan
    My Van(s):
    Toyota Van 1984 2wd

Flecker, thank you very much for your reply. I took my dash out and my console so I can easily check my master cylinder and the hoses if they have a leak and everything looks ok. I also checked my reservoir and it's full, all the way to max. My Break Light is still off but I went under the van and found where the leak is, please see attached pictures. Which part is that? It's a hard metal hose.
    Name:  6019AF2A-8320-4AB3-B3BE-AAD4A3368F32.jpg
Views: 1265
Size:  20.4 KB Name:  5AF48792-70CC-4F97-82E8-67C66E38DF66.jpg
Views: 1252
Size:  20.4 KB

Van Addict
    My Van(s):

Looks like your clutch flex line or the hard line may be giving up the ghost.

Flex line:
    Toyota Part #
    90931-01021

Centric part # 150.44305

As for the hard line, I don't know of a replacement outside of bending up a new one to fit. From the pic I can't tell where it's leaking, so it's a bit hard to pinpoint exactly. Can you tell if it's leaking from the connection or somewhere else?

This was the one other thing I was refering to up top.

Van Fan
    My Van(s):
    Toyota Van 1984 2wd

Thank you very much for your response and help.. I'm adding some more pics here with higher resolution. As I can see one part connects all the way down to the slave cylinder and yes it's leaking at the connection where I have circled it with red, which is somewhere in the middle under the passenger seat. Are the two parts you recommended what I need? Doing more research about them currently. Also I'm planning to change the master cylinder, clutch cylinder and slave cylinder.
    Name:  1.jpg
Views: 1333
Size:  94.0 KBName:  2.jpg
Views: 1207
Size:  89.9 KBName:  3.jpg
Views: 1299
Size:  92.6 KB

Van Addict
    My Van(s):

9 times out of 10 it's the rubber flex line that gets junked up... Before you buy anything though, take a wrench to it and see if it's loose first. Clean it off as best ya can. Then use the buddy system again and see if you can see it leaking as he pumps the clutch. Should help you pinpoint where the leak is.

As for the hard line, when it's real close to the end like that and it's leaking I have always been successful putting a new flare end on it. Provided the rest of the line is in good shape back to the clutch master(depends on how close it is to the end, theres a bit of wiggle room on the hard line but not much! Maybe an inch).

I use this tool for hydraulic lines on Toyotas, works REALLY well in tight spaces when ya can't remove the line (Though other style flare tools work as well)~

Flare Tool

Van Fan
    My Van(s):
    Toyota Van 1984 2wd

WoW man thank you very much for all your help and tips you shared with me. I will defiantly try them. I do still have a few questions, if I have to change the connection with a flare do you let the fluid go out in a bowl or is there a way to block it some how? Also do you know the measurement of the hose/line? so I can get the right flare.

Van Addict
    My Van(s):

Crack open the bleeder port on the slave cylinder to clear the line of fluid into a bucket. Probably have to pump it up a bit to get it flowing.

The toyota lines are 3/16" (4.75mm) on the vans. I believe the threaded fittings are 10mm x 1.0 (male end) and 14mm (female end).

I posted a couple of options up above for the line, part #'s. Optionally you could take the old one out and size it at the parts store or get one made at a hydraulics place for a reasonable price.

Van Fan
    My Van(s):
    Toyota Van 1984 2wd

Ok great!! Thank you very much for all your help!!

Van Fan
    My Van(s):
    Toyota Van 1984 2wd

Flecker, are these two parts the same?

Flex line:
    Toyota Part #90931-01021

Centric part # 150.44305

Thank you and Happy Thanksgiving!!

Van Addict
    My Van(s):