Thread: Starting Issues (with video)

My Van(s):
    1985 Toyota Van

Starting Issues (with video)

https://youtu.be/VsXHl7eSysA

I've had this occasional issue that when I start the van it goes into a low idle, 3-500 and is on the verge of shutting off it seems. To counter this I rev the engine a bit for about 5 seconds to get the RPM's stabilized. Here's a video of it doing it on an extreme day when it was having issues starting. I have to gas it to start it and sometimes its not very responsive but slowly gets to rpm's.

The sound thats most alarming is the metal swirling sound.

What can be causing this issue? its only happens when the engine was hot. It left me stranded once so I opened the hood for about half an hour and got it back on the road. That was maybe 20,000 miles ago. I've had the van for about 30,000.

It also gone thru a phase where it did it for awhile, the didn't seem like it was having any issues for a few months, then started it again from time to time.

I just gave it a tune up, and its recently developed a misfire within the last 2000 miles or so.

Van Addict
    My Van(s):
    1987 Toyota 4wd Cargo Van

Re: Starting Issues (with video)

Search for heat soak, or hot soak....

Van Addict
    My Van(s):
    (2) 1989 2WD LE VAN Wagons

A good seafoam treatment in the intake and clean the throttle body. Getting rid of carbon as much as possible does wonders. Also your TPS it appears could need to be changed because I noticed when you revved the engine and let off the throttle the idle tried to stabilize before the engine died. A worn out TPS can do this too

My Van(s):
    1985 Toyota Van

I just recently seafoamed it but had a mishap and noticed the last third of the can went out the air filter. I have another throttle body and will refurb that and get a new TPS on it when I have the chance.

Also found I have an exhaust leak, causing some hesitancy on takeoff.

Van Fan
    My Van(s):
    1987 LE Passenger Automatic

Symptoms seem just like the "heat soak" issue, and especially suspect if occurring mostly on hot days. Not certain of this but I think a more correct phrase for the heat soak issue is "vapor lock," but don't quote me on that. I have heard of using a lower temp thermostat to combat this but not sure how low you can go and still be safe/healthy for the engine. I bought my van from a guy in Florida and he had installed a lower temp thermostat in it. I later changed it out to the correct heat range thermostat since I'm in Georgia, but on some really hot days mine will also exhibit the temporary heat soak, stubborn startup problem.