Thread: SADS front bearing noise

Van Fan
    My Van(s):
    1993 2WD Previa LE

SADS front bearing noise

I have an off and on squeaking noise that seems to be coming from the front SADS bearing. The sound is like a dry bearing. I thought it might be the alternator, PS pump, or AC compressor but used a broom stick to listen through and the noise is coming from the front SADS bearing.

Does anyone know if it is possible to replace just the bearing or if I can find the complete front bearing assembly someplace?

Thanks,

Tony

Van Addict
    My Van(s):
    97 Previa DX SC AWD...alive! 95 Previa LE SC AWD (RIP) 93 Previa LE AWD (rustbucket w/ no reverse...parts van) 91 Previa LE AWD (RIP)

Re: SADS front bearing noise

Van Fan
    My Van(s):
    1993 2WD Previa LE

I need to replace the bushings anyways, so I will take the shaft out and inspect the bearing. I am hoping I can find a way to get some grease into it and it will last for a while.

The bushings are original and have 246,000 miles on them. I bought the bushing kit about 15 years ago and have not had enough vibration or sound from the shaft to force me to do this dreaded job.

Van Addict
    My Van(s):
    97 Previa DX SC AWD...alive! 95 Previa LE SC AWD (RIP) 93 Previa LE AWD (rustbucket w/ no reverse...parts van) 91 Previa LE AWD (RIP)

Maybe you can sell the kit and use the cheaper (and i think easier) BMW bushings? I've no personal knowledge on that though...

Van Fan
    My Van(s):
    1993 2WD Previa LE

I found the cause of my noise. It was a black walnut and probably a squirrel.

Inked20191117_092902 (1)_LI.jpg

20191117_092438.jpg

20191117_092428.jpg

Van Addict
    My Van(s):

Haha! That is freaking hilarious!

Last summer I got my poor man's Previa (2000 Sienna) stuck in taconite pellets along a railroad access road.

Yeah, that's iron ore pellets. I might as well have been stuck in concrete (An AWD Previa would have plowed right through)

It was stuck in about 8 inches of that, right up to the bottom of the engine and frame.
    I had to yank it out with my 4runner, and it was not easy. Afterward it vibrated horribly. I figured I busted some motor mounts because every time I started it up it vibrated so much. But once it got up to speed it was fine. Over a few weeks I kept hearing zing! ping! as pellets shot out from wherever they were trapped. And after a few weeks the vibration went away completely.

Van Fan
    My Van(s):
    1993 2WD Previa LE

I went to School in the U.P. of Michigan and am familiar with that stuff. It also sunk the Edmond Fitzgerald.

Van Addict
    My Van(s):

Quote Originally Posted by tfreed1 View Post
    I went to School in the U.P. of Michigan and am familiar with that stuff. It also sunk the Edmond Fitzgerald.
    Well, it didn't help anyway.