Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: automatic transmission: delayed, jerky shifts. throttle (kick-down) cable adjustment?

Forum Newbie
    My Van(s):
    87 4wd

Re: automatic transmission: delayed, jerky shifts. throttle cable adjustment?

Thanks for tall the info! Thank you for making this forum such an awesome resource!

My Van(s):
    Lots of them

Re: automatic transmission: delayed, jerky shifts. throttle cable adjustment?

Yes, thank you JPERL. When it comes to replacement, this is not the easiest thing to do (on the transmission side). I would recommend reading this thread before deciding to do yourself. Tim

http://www.toyotavantech.com/forum/s...months-sitting

My Van(s):
    1987 Van 2-wd

Re: Transmission swap

Ok guys... here's the deal. My dead 1986 2wd (4Y-E FED) had 220,000 miles and had a perfectly fine automatic / overdrive transmission. The shift points were perfect, and the converter lockup and unlock worked flawlessly when going up and down inclines.
    My new van is a 1987 2wd automatic (4Y-E CAL) (290,000). The transmission had been examined while in the possession of the previous owner. The shop then said it needed a rear seal (which they replaced), and, additionally, they wrote the following ..."recommend replacing transmission - too much output on the freeplate"...

Symptoms are as follows --
    1-2 shift is fine
    2-3 shift is always late (over 3000 rpm's)
    3-4 shift is always late (varies between 44 to about 52 MPH) and always at high rpm's
    additionally - those late shifts are rather harsh

fluid pretty clean and the level is good - however---
    the thermostat desperately needs replacing... the temp gauge lifts about a 1/16th of an inch or so and then hovers there (down by "C") no matter how far I drive or let it sit and idle (and it was 96 degrees out last week here)
    ---(I know our "normal" issue with these vans is keeping them from running too hot, but I am having the opposite problem, so, ...
    ***Is there any way that the late-shifting is simply due to the cold-running condition ?? or, is there a clear indication of a big problem with the transmission --and-- if so
    ***Can I swap the transmission from my '86 into the '87 ??? ...any help would be appreciated.. (c'mon Tim !!!)

My Van(s):
    1987 Van 2-wd

update :

maybe the engine operating temp is fine and I can't trust the gauge... here's why

ran a jumper wire from the temp gauge sending unit wiring harness plug to ground, and, with the key "on" the temp gauge slowly rose toward "pegged" at "HOT" (so, the gauge works and the wiring harness and plug seem intact)... ... then ran an ohmmeter from the lead on the temp gauge sending unit tab to ground and got absolutely nothing (open?) -- so, is it likely that the sending unit is shot ??
    Last edited by Tan Van; 10-01-2017 at 05:56 PM. Reason: details

Van Fan
    My Van(s):
    1987 Toyota LiteAce Rwd CURRENT 1998 Pontiac Transport (gone) 1989 Dodge Caravan (gone) GREAT VAN 1972 VW Bus (Classic, but way under powered)

The trans in question is: over 30 years old with over 200,000 miles. I think a rebuild/complete service are probably more than over-due!. That being said, maybe the trans is not completely wore out, the harsh shifting can be related to worn/maladjusted throttle cables. They are very inexpensive and easy to replace (alot easier than dropping a transmission). Someone else on here might give more clairvoyance on the throttle cable/not shifting right issue or search the forums. I had a Yota van with an auto trans where it would NEVER SHIFT. You had to ever so slightly lift the throttle and it would shift (kinda like the old 70's era Honda clutch-less motorcycles). I drove it years like that, it never failed--it was actually fun.

Van Obsessed
    My Van(s):
    1988 4WD LE auto dual range t-case (the mistress) 1988 4WD LE auto(the donut van)

I can't really see the sending unit being open when cold then have resistance when warm. Of course, you didn't specify if you checked this with a cold or hot engine. My experience with this type of component has been either the resistance is there but out of spec or it's burned out and open. I would say the relatively inexpensive sending unit would be a good place to start. It's possible a transmission in less than ideal condition would shift harshly when cold but I would take a serious look at your kick-down cable adjustment as I mentioned in your other post before paying someone for a transmission swap.

My Van(s):
    1987 Van 2-wd

already beat the kick-down-cable subject to death --(see post #87 in "Overdrive issues")-- it seems really correct...(which again, leads me to the transmission itself)

regarding the temp sending unit... it seems that I needed to drive my new van a little farther to see what the real status of it was... today, on a longer drive, my temp gauge ran up to about a third of the way up, so, considering it was only 76 degrees out and I just installed a new "aisin" fan clutch, I would say the gauge is actually working perfectly...and, if anything, I probably have a weak thermostat which is why it stayed so cold at idle the previous night

lastly, the rear seal on the transmission was just replaced by the previous owner, but there is a tremendous amount of ancient "goo" all over the underbody, which hints that it might have leaked pretty badly and was driven dry for too long-- what do you guys think ?

My Van(s):
    1987 Van 2-wd

I just want to put the finishing touch on this thread by saying the following : ...

- firstly, I put in a new Toyota thermostat as shown here on TVT --- I must say that if you go in from underneath and are willing to drop the alternator, (which we're all pretty good at by now !!), the job is pretty simple and reachable , and, with that done, my temp gauge is always just below the "halfway mark" and it is keeping my engine temp perfect... I'm also getting fantastic heat now on these 32 degree mornings...

- secondly, you guys were right, a closer look at the kickdown cable revealed that a 1/2 inch piece of the outer protective sheathing was separated from the rest of the tubing (like it had been sliced off by the clamp long ago) and it was interfering with cable travel... after I cleaned up the business end of the cable, I now have really nice shifting-- it's smooth, and, at light throttle I get 3rd at about 23 MPH and I get 4th (OD) at about 31MPH

thanks everyone !!!

Van Fan
    My Van(s):
    89 Townace 2CT 4wd 88 Vanwagon Auto 4WD

All kickdown/Detent AT Cables the same 4wd/RWD?

It looks like my kickdown cable is frozen. Are they all the same?

Van Addict
    My Van(s):
    1986 LE

Re: automatic transmission: delayed, jerky shifts. throttle (kick-down) cable adjustm

Hey JPERL:

Can you upload your picture of you kick down adjustments with the arrows you stated? The pics don't seem to want to come up.

Thank you

Van Addict
    My Van(s):
    1986 LE

Re: automatic transmission: delayed, jerky shifts. throttle (kick-down) cable adjustm

JPERL: No worries, I was able to get it by changing web formats.

MT