Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wiper Blade Replacement 1991 Previa

Forum Newbie
    My Van(s):
    1991 Previa LE 204K 1991 Previa LE 222K

Wiper Blade Replacement 1991 Previa

Hi Previa Lovers,

Any suggestions for a wiper blade replacements for front and back of 1991 previas? I have 2 of them that do and will need replacing v. soon. As a tester, I got a an ANCO W-28R on order.

205K and 224K

jg_rodriguez1

Forum Newbie
    My Van(s):
    1993 Previa DX MT

Re: Wiper Blade Replacement 1991 Previa

Hello,
    Ah, Previa wipers, yet another quirky feature of our beloved Previas. Last I knew, there were no aftermarket blades or inserts for the front of the 1991-1993 Previa, but that may no longer be true. I've used Toyota 28" inserts A700 (85221-YZZB3-TM) in front purchased from the dealer and aftermarket 17" blades in back.
    Happy New Year.

Van Fan
    My Van(s):
    1993 2WD Previa LE

I have a set of ANCO W-28R but have not tried them yet. It looks like they would replace the metal stiffener with the plastic included with the new inset. Let us know if the Ancos work. Thanks.

Van Enthusiast
    My Van(s):
    91 Previa 5 Speed M/T Alltrac, 93 Previa 5 Speed M/T RWD

1991Previa - please share your findings with us. These forums are so much more useful to everyone if threads have answers - even if the answer is it doesn't work.

Van Fan
    My Van(s):
    1993 2WD Previa LE

I installed a set of ANCO W-28R's a few months ago. They work well on my 1993. I had to use needle nose pliers to straighten some of the metal tabs that got bent over the years so that I could slide in the new blades. It looks like I can change only the rubber next time and reuse the plastic stiffeners from these blades.

20200424_154330.jpg

20200424_154249.jpg

20200424_154401_HDR (1).jpg

Van Fan
    My Van(s):
    1992 Toyota Previa LE

Thanks for the update. Apparently, Toyota has discontinued the front wiper blade refills, part number 85221-YZZB3-TM. I have contacted several Toyota dealerships and they are backordered with no ETA. I've been told that this simply translates to the discontinuation of the item.

I am likely to try out the PIAA wiper blade refills shortly on my 1992 Previa in the not too distant future. If those do not work, I will try out the Anco you used.

Van Fan
    My Van(s):
    1993 2WD Previa LE

I bought these about 4 years ago but did not find them until after I put the Anco's on. Guess I'll keep them until the Previa is ready for a concourse.

20200424_213532.jpg

Van Fan
    My Van(s):
    1993 2WD Previa LE

Last edited by tfreed1; 04-26-2020 at 09:55 AM.

Van Fan
    My Van(s):
    1992 Toyota Previa LE

Awesome solution with a follow up video to show the results! This no doubt helps a great deal for the future of owning/driving the Previa.

I do have one concern though, it seems that these might be phasing out as well? RockAuto has 2 qty in stock! Maybe I'm just panicking? I will order mine just in case.

Update: I bought two pairs of the Anco W-28R refills off of eBay. I will try them out when they arrive. If they work out as well for me I'll likely buy two or three more pairs for the future.
    Last edited by apham8; 04-26-2020 at 08:55 PM.

Van Fan
    My Van(s):
    1992 Toyota Previa LE

I just received my Anco W-28R refills and I see you said you had to bend the tabs because they got bent over the years, but I think that the Anco plastic body is just too large for the channel.

I am going to attempt to sand away the plastic to make it fit into the wiper blade channel. I prefer to modify the plastic body than to modify the wiper arm. We'll see if it'll work out. I'll update when I try in a few days.

Van Enthusiast
    My Van(s):
    1992 Previa AT LE

Just some more detail, not any experience with a substitution. I purchased a few on ebay after reading this thread, and fooled with them a bit. As described, the hard backing strip in the ANCOs just doesn't fit into the tabs on the Toyota wiper arm. That means (a) bending the wiper tabs, (b)sanding/thinning the ANCO backing (maybe just the back edges?) or (c) pulling the ANCO rubber part out from their plastic backing strip and threading it through the Toyota metal one. The ANCO looks worrisome to me in terms of it being coming out from that backing strip - straight out or sliding off. The ANCO depends on some snap-in caps at the ends to keep in it in place vs the Toyota refill which has a locking shape molded into one end in addition to bent "stops" at each end of the metal backing strip.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "If you find yourself holding a sledgehammer or a crowbar, it's time for a break."

Van Fan
    My Van(s):
    1992 Toyota Previa LE

After filing down the plastic back on the Anco W-28R, they do indeed fit into the Previa's wiper arms without modifying/bending the tabs back.

I just tested the Ancos out with the windshield washer fluid and they look to work just as good as the OEM Toyota refills. I'll be buying four or five more pairs to stock up for future wiper replacements.
    Last edited by apham8; 05-03-2020 at 02:54 PM.

Van Fan
    My Van(s):
    1993 2WD Previa LE

I only bent a couple of the tabs when putting in the Anco blades. I think one issue is that the original Toyota metal stiffening strip is curved and the Anco plastic is straight. I had to fineness the Anco in as the tabs are aligned for the curved metal piece.

Van Fan
    My Van(s):
    1992 Toyota Previa LE

Yes, I noticed this as well. It is not linear, the tabs are wider on one end and narrower on the other.

It rained today and I got to use the Ancos, they look to be a good alternative to the OEM refills. Although, I do not think it is as good. Works well though.

I was tempted to take the wiper arms and motor from a 1994 Previa at the salvage yard today. I was glad to see that the conversion is not very difficult. For those that do not know, the 1994 - 1997 Previa front wiper arms are the typical j-hook variety. But I think these Ancos will be a doable workaround for wiper blades for my 1992. I'll just stick with my original wiper arms. I've already picked up multiple Anco W-28Rs, so I should be good for couple years at least.

UPDATE: It rained today and after driving at freeway speeds with the Anco refills I have to say that they are perfectly fine and probably as good as OEM. My previous comment has more to do with my dirty windshield than the quality of the wiper blade.

Got a total of 4 spare pairs of these W-28R's. I am hoping they will last the duration of my ownership. I'm a bit concerned with the "expiration" of these unused rubber blades. So I took them inside to store them instead of storing them in the garage where there are temperature fluctuations.

Again, I do not know if they are phasing out these W-28R's? It seems to me that all the ones that are for sale are NOS (New Old Stock). I could be wrong and hoping that I am, but I don't see these available by major retailers. RockAuto has two in stock and I have a suspicion they will not be restocking them. And the ones on Amazon are mainly smaller retailers on Amazon.
    Last edited by apham8; 05-08-2020 at 10:19 PM.

Forum Newbie
    My Van(s):
    1991 Previa LE All-Track 1984 Toyota Van LE

Has any one used this conversion kit?

https://www.amazon.com/Windshield-Wi.../dp/B015YD1US8

If so did it work ?

Never mind I just read reviews and it doesnt fit one side.

So has anyone found a replacement inserts anywhere ?

Van Addict
    My Van(s):
    97 Previa DX SC AWD...alive! 95 Previa LE SC AWD (RIP) 93 Previa LE AWD (rustbucket w/ no reverse...parts van) 91 Previa LE AWD (RIP)

Anco W28R work on 95's...I don't remember if there is a difference between them and earlier models so you may have to research that aspect...

Forum Newbie
    My Van(s):

So I purchased these bad boys and they fit like a glove. It can be PIA to slide it back in use some WD-40 it will make it so much easier rather than wrestling with it. Thanks again for the tip on these inserts. Now what kind of insert do we use on the rear wiper?

Van Addict
    My Van(s):
    97 Previa DX SC AWD...alive! 95 Previa LE SC AWD (RIP) 93 Previa LE AWD (rustbucket w/ no reverse...parts van) 91 Previa LE AWD (RIP)

Great! Looks like they will probably work for all American Previas then, if they work 91-95. Its been a long while since I replaced my rear wiper so I don't know anything certain about that. Please let us know what you find out.

Van Fan
    My Van(s):
    1992 Toyota Previa LE

I've gone over to the ANCO 4808 adapter, which allows the rear wiper arm to receive a traditional J-hook wiper blade. Works great for me thus far.

Forum Newbie
    My Van(s):

Quote Originally Posted by Previologist View Post
    Great! Looks like they will probably work for all American Previas then, if they work 91-95. Its been a long while since I replaced my rear wiper so I don't know anything certain about that. Please let us know what you find out.
    I have been told that this will work with minimal effort to install.
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I have ordered it and will report when I install it.

Just tried to put this on and it did not work - not even close so scratch this please. If you found an alternative please let me know.
    Last edited by valve79; 09-02-2020 at 12:15 PM.