Thread: 1984 vanWagon Oil Leak

Forum Newbie
    My Van(s):
    1984 toyota Van wagon

1984 vanWagon Oil Leak

so ive got oil spraying everywhere from the harmonic balancer (that is attached to the crank shaft from my understanding) its the lowest pulley. its hard to tell if its coming from the oil pan gasket or the pulley but its only coming from the center front so my guess is the pulley. anwyays has anyone ever done this job? do you need a gear puller to get that pulley off? is there even enough clearance in there? also is there any special tool for replacing the seal? is It hard to replace? easy? has anyone else ever done this job? my other worry is that its dripping down from the head-gasket and hitting the crank shaft but its soo hard to tell. but I felt the gasket all around and it feels okay. my engine has so much old oil built up on it because it has had a head-gasket leak for years (already fixed that) any advice on this job would be welcomed!
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Van Obsessed
    My Van(s):
    1988 4WD LE auto dual range t-case (the mistress) 1988 4WD LE auto(the donut van)

Re: 1984 vanWagon Oil Leak

Sounds like the first step is to remove the passenger seat, passenger side access cover, and fan shroud and get in there and start cleaning. Leaks are much easier to find with a clean work area and good access.

Forum Newbie
    My Van(s):
    1984 toyota Van wagon

is there any any way to gain access to the front of the engine? ive done as much cleaning as I can reach, although I havent taken the passenger seat out yet, but I'm fairly certain its that seal. but I could be wrong, ill take the seat out and do some more cleaning to be sure!

Van Addict
    My Van(s):
    (2) 1989 2WD LE VAN Wagons

Quote Originally Posted by MotoVlogMiller View Post
    is there any any way to gain access to the front of the engine? ive done as much cleaning as I can reach, although I havent taken the passenger seat out yet, but I'm fairly certain its that seal. but I could be wrong, ill take the seat out and do some more cleaning to be sure!
    Yeah remove the passenger seat. These Vehicles don't have the greatest access and nothing significant can be done unless the passenger seat and floor pan is removed