Thread: 1986 2WD Van front wheel bearing replacement suggestions?

My Van(s):
    1986 Toyota Silver Cargo Van.

1986 2WD Van front wheel bearing replacement suggestions?

1986 2WD Van cargo. 2.2L.
    I'm going to redo my front brake pads/rotors and will be replacing the wheel bearings while at it. Pretty sure the outer & inner bearings are part number 90368-19037 and 90368-31067. I have found those OEM parts, but all are in the middle east and very expensive to ship.
    Are there any domestic equivalents that have been used with success?
    I didn't know I was such an angular Van guy... Proud driver of 80s Toyota Vans since 1995.
    My happy place: SpaceEgg: A Silver 4Y 1986 Cargo Van.
    Past vans: 1987 4Y White Cargo, 1985 3Y 2-tone Copper LE Passenger, 1986 4Y White Cargo.

Van Enthusiast
    My Van(s):
    IG:@dialupthevan 89 - 2WD - 201k 87 - 4WD - 188K

Re: 1986 2WD Van front wheel bearing replacement suggestions?

https://www.toyotapartsdeal.com/oem/...del=&Filter=()

I ordered a couple sets from TPD, Shipping is very affordable. Hope this helps!
    That smells like regular! She needs premium DUDE! PREMIUM!

My Van(s):

PSA:
    Got the set of OEM front outer bearings. Toyota Part 90368-19037. They are repackaged Japanese NSK LM11949 & LM11910. You can find the NSK a lot easier and cheaper (about 1/3 the price) when not Toyota OEM.
    Waiting on the front inner bearings to arrive. When they do, I will update if they are also NSK and what the cross reference part number is.
    I didn't know I was such an angular Van guy... Proud driver of 80s Toyota Vans since 1995.
    Past vans: 1987 4Y White Cargo, 1985 3Y 2-tone Copper LE Passenger, 1986 4Y White Cargo.

My Van(s):

Got the front inner bearings. Toyota part # 90368-31067
    It's a set of Nachi LM67048 and LM67010.

Van Fan
    My Van(s):
    1989 Toyota Van Cargo 5-spd

Hey BigTone - thanks for sharing! I'm actually getting ready to do my wheel bearings as well. Anything tricky about the replacement you could enlighten me with? I've done a couple of other random cars and it was always a pain getting that bearing pressed in, but haven't done one with an inner/outer bearing and race as our vans are.

Thanks!

Van Fan
    My Van(s):
    1986 Toyota Van 2wd

If any of you are in Los Angeles I would love to come over and peek at how you guys replace the bearings.

Van Obsessed
    My Van(s):
    88 4WD DLX 5spd

Bearing replacement on a 2WD is a walk in the park.
    No special tools required.

Brass drifts are best used, always better to damage the drift than the thing your working on, especially those expensive bearings.

As far as getting the new races back in, use the old races, start with the old race upside down on the new (thin edge to thin edge) and gently tap down till you get close to the top of the hub, then flip the old race so the fat end is against the thin edge, now continue to gently tap around slowly driving it into position and remove to old race with your brass drift (easy to get the edge, thats WHY you flipped it over)
    As long as both races are seated, you're good to go.

You will know when they are home as the sound changes.
    As you're driving the race, it will be thunk, thunk, thunk.
    When its home, the sound becomes sharp, hard to explain but if you pay attention, it will be very obvious.

Van Obsessed
    My Van(s):
    88 4WD DLX 5spd

The biggest errors in bearing replacement is the packing of grease into the bearings.
    Lots of methods out there and even special tools are available.
    My experience with the tool is, they waste a lot of grease.

Easiest way I have ever found is to place a walnut sized ball of grease into your non-dominant hand, using your dominant hand, push the bearing (big end down) into the grease with a wiping action, then rotate 1/3turn and repeat, I keep going around and around until I see grease come out the top side of the bearing.
    This works grease all the way thru the bearing and helps to push out any contaminated grease as you go, once clean grease is pushing up thru the top side all the way around, wipe off excess and give a light smear across the rollers and the same to the race, then assemble.

Van Fan
    My Van(s):
    1989 Toyota Van Cargo 5-spd

Thanks @BurntBoot! I'm going to get these bearings ordered and refer back to this before installing. Appreciate it!

Forum Newbie
    My Van(s):
    '86 Toy Van

Quote Originally Posted by Burntboot View Post
    The biggest errors in bearing replacement is the packing of grease into the bearings.
    Lots of methods out there and even special tools are available.
    My experience with the tool is, they waste a lot of grease.

Easiest way I have ever found is to place a walnut sized ball of grease into your non-dominant hand, using your dominant hand, push the bearing (big end down) into the grease with a wiping action, then rotate 1/3turn and repeat, I keep going around and around until I see grease come out the top side of the bearing.
    This works grease all the way thru the bearing and helps to push out any contaminated grease as you go, once clean grease is pushing up thru the top side all the way around, wipe off excess and give a light smear across the rollers and the same to the race, then assemble.
    This worked for me. Also when I replaced my bearing I'm pretty sure I got whatever autozone had in stock and suggested, it fit.