Thread: Running issue

Van Fan
    My Van(s):
    86 toyota van LE

Running issue

Hey guys. So I’ve got an issue going on with my 86 Toyota van. About a month ago I was working on it and accidentally crimped a radiator hose to get to where I was working, and never put it back. I ran the van down the road a ways and lost all of my coolant when I stopped. I let it cool down refilled it with coolant, Then got it back home. I bled the air out of the cooling systems by letting it run with the cap off, and made sure it was topped off. Everytime I stop the engine for the first time after running it, then start back up again, it runs TERRIBLE. Now I know about heat soak and I’ve dealt with it since I’ve had the van but this is now happening when the van isn’t even that warm! Same kind of deal though. What could have happened? What can I do?

Van Fan
    My Van(s):
    86 toyota van LE

Re: Running issue

Also I have a code 10 and 11

Van Obsessed
    My Van(s):
    88 4WD DLX 5spd

B5c - Codes 10 and 11 have been covered extensively, please try the search function

Running an engine without coolant is a horrible idea and will do extensive damage in VERY short order.
    Having actually driven it (no coolant AND under load) doesn't bode well.

Poor running can be caused by a multitude of things but if the exhaust (on start up) looks like your van has a vaping habit, that would be considered definitive proof of head gasket damage, as would checking coolant for hydrocarbons.

IF it is leaking coolant into the cylinders time is of the essence as rust will form in short order and piston rings will not forgive that insult.
    Its the sort of repair that needs to be addressed soonest, not ignored till better wether arrives.
    With luck, the head gasket will have taken the brunt of the abuse, but close inspection of cylinder head would be warranted too.

Van Enthusiast
    My Van(s):
    Vandi -'93 LiteAce 2CT, Auto, 4wd, Skylite!

Since you have re-filled with coolant, is it low again?
    I was a member for 2 years before I bought my van.
    Vandi-

Van Fan
    My Van(s):
    86 toyota van LE

Quote Originally Posted by Burntboot View Post
    B5c - Codes 10 and 11 have been covered extensively, please try the search function

Running an engine without coolant is a horrible idea and will do extensive damage in VERY short order.
    Having actually driven it (no coolant AND under load) doesn't bode well.

Poor running can be caused by a multitude of things but if the exhaust (on start up) looks like your van has a vaping habit, that would be considered definitive proof of head gasket damage, as would checking coolant for hydrocarbons.

IF it is leaking coolant into the cylinders time is of the essence as rust will form in short order and piston rings will not forgive that insult.
    Its the sort of repair that needs to be addressed soonest, not ignored till better wether arrives.
    With luck, the head gasket will have taken the brunt of the abuse, but close inspection of cylinder head would be warranted too.

hey, thanks for your reply. I never drove it without coolant. I got to where I was going and it lost the coolant when I got there, I waited for it to cool down then refilled and drove home. I have had a small coolant leak, it’s coming from pretty much directly down from the radiator cap somewhere in there. Hope I haven’t busted the head gasket. I’ll look into those codes too

My Van(s):
    1987 Toyota Van LE 4x4 5spd, on 30x9.50R15s, boosted to 16PSI

To clarify, you drove the van with a hose crimped, with no possible coolant flow? How far did you drive? How hot did it get?

Van Fan
    My Van(s):
    86 toyota van LE

Quote Originally Posted by VanCo View Post
    To clarify, you drove the van with a hose crimped, with no possible coolant flow? How far did you drive? How hot did it get?
    I moved the hose going from radiator cap to over flow tankto the left so it stayed out of my way when I was trying to put a clamp on my leaking power steering hose. My guess is the position I put the hose in crimped it. I only drove about 3 miles to get firewood when I got there pressure built up in the system and lost all my coolant. Thermostat went through the roof. Waited for it to cool. Filled back up with coolant. Drove home

My Van(s):
    1987 Toyota Van LE 4x4 5spd, on 30x9.50R15s, boosted to 16PSI

With the overflow tube pinched there could have been excessive pressure in the cooling system. This can can cause leaks, blown hoses, etc. The overheating can be caused by a lot of things. There are a lot of variables at play. I would go through the cooling system (fix leaks etc.), and start the process of looking for a bad head gasket (search the forum for tips). Also, do a compression check. That can help with head gasket diagnosis, as well as checking the overall health of the cylinders. Severely overheated engines can collapse rings and cause low compression. This causes runability issues.