Thread: Front Axle Seal Replacement 2WD

Forum Newbie
    My Van(s):
    1987 Toyota Van rwd

Rack Boots Leaking ATF 2WD

My rack boots are leaking transmission fluid. Thinking there are seals in there that need replacing, though I can't find any info on this, diagrams or otherwise, from the manual. Anyone have experience replacing these? Or, can point me to an existing thread where this is discussed? Thanks!
    Last edited by benjammin_all_my_life; 02-17-2020 at 07:15 PM.

Van Obsessed
    My Van(s):
    88 4WD DLX 5spd

Re: Front Axle Seal Replacement 2WD

I just searched "steering rack" and got 94 different threads.

Perhaps you might check thru those and if you find one that is close to your symptoms, post in that thread, please.

Van Fan
    My Van(s):
    95 Previa SC, RWD, Auto

In my years on forums, school, shop time, and mechanic-ing myself, I've never seen anything on replacing steering rack seals, only replacing the rack because usually the seals are damaged by bad bushings, dirt contamination, or rack rod damage.

However, the first result for "how to replace steering rack seals" on google (https://powersteeringseals.com/2019/...ng-rack-seals/) doesn't seem to think it's rocket science.

Also, your thread title mentions axle seals... a totally different problem and solution.
    -Russell
    "You don't get to judge me for how I fix what you break"
    -95 Previa SC RWD
    -05 Subaru Baja Turbo, 03 Subaru Baja NA, 01 BMW R1200c, 94 Firebird v8, 70 VW Beetle

Forum Newbie
    My Van(s):
    1987 Toyota Van rwd

Quote Originally Posted by Burntboot View Post
    I just searched "steering rack" and got 94 different threads.

Perhaps you might check thru those and if you find one that is close to your symptoms, post in that thread, please.
    Haven't found any previous threads where folks have replaced the seals. Seems like most people have used stop leak or replaced the entire rack and pinion..

Forum Newbie
    My Van(s):
    1987 Toyota Van rwd

Quote Originally Posted by kamesama980 View Post
    In my years on forums, school, shop time, and mechanic-ing myself, I've never seen anything on replacing steering rack seals, only replacing the rack because usually the seals are damaged by bad bushings, dirt contamination, or rack rod damage.

However, the first result for "how to replace steering rack seals" on google (https://powersteeringseals.com/2019/...ng-rack-seals/) doesn't seem to think it's rocket science.

Also, your thread title mentions axle seals... a totally different problem and solution.
    Thanks for your input, not sure what I'll end up doing. Was hoping to copycat someone here before trying to replace the seals solo. Also, I'm not sure how to edit the title of the thread, will try to contact admin to change it. Thanks again!