Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Slight Differential Noise at 315K

Van Obsessed
    My Van(s):
    88 4WD DLX 5spd

Re: Slight Differential Noise at 315K

Hopefully someone with more experience chimes in.

I have never seen a fr bearing replacement that was successful, but that is hardly proof of a concept and possible I have only seen the results of idiots.

I have seen plenty of diff's ruined by well meaning tech's replacing a pinion seal but failing to mark things and put them back the same.
    Overcranking the pinion nut can alter the backlash and cause failures. (Not suggesting thats what's going on with yours, though)

Maybe it's worth trying a mini-rehab, as there is little to lose at this point, but I would be on the hunt for a replacement, either way.

The other thing is, how slight is the noise, if barely audible it may be something you just learn to live with.
    They will make noise for a LONG time before bad things happen (usually)

Might also be worth trying an additive??
    I have some "Forte" diff and gear treatment left over from my dealer days, happy to toss one in the mail if ya want to give it a try.
    Just PM me your co-ordinates.

It is as close to magic as I have ever found but, like hen's teeth, can be very hard to find.
    Used to be factory recommended on Suzuki's back in the '90's and I have personally seen it quiet more than one noisy diff.
    It isnt a repair, more of a (longterm) postponement, if it works.

My Van(s):
    1987 Toyota Van LE 4x4 5spd, on 30x9.50R15s, boosted to 16PSI

The bearing races for the pinion gear are hammered/pressed in and out of the third member. If you are replacing the bearings you need to replace the races. To do this you need to take it all apart. At that point you should also replace the side bearings too. The Timken bearing kit is about $180.

In the words of my Dad, "when you do a job big or small do it right or not at all."

Van Addict
    My Van(s):
    1986 LE

Thanks Guys:

Now I am in my thinking mode. Will make a call and let you know. Thank you so much for the offer. May take you up on it for sure.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

My Van(s):
    1989 4x4 5 speed dlx 1987 4x4 5 speed cargo 1987 4x4 5 speed LE 1987 2wd 5 speed cargo conversion 1989 2wd auto cargo parts van

Quote Originally Posted by timsrv View Post
    Nothing wrong with 80W90, but I personally like to use synthetics in my gear boxes due to the fact they don't burn it and it will most likely be there for a very long time. If I was trying to quiet down a gear box I might use Power Punch as it clings to the gears more and reduces noise. I'm not sure about additives, but don't see a problem using them on old/worn gearboxes.Tim
    i know this thread is about rear diffs but i feel the term 'gearbox' can be misleading as theres quite some debate about modern gear oils, synthetics, and additives and their effect on 'yellow metals' in a transmission with synchros...i dumped the mobil1 full syn 80/90 that was in my transmission for this reason..and have 'maybe' noticed smoother shifting with dino oils...

My Van(s):
    Lots of them

Yeah, I should have said differentials. There's a lengthy discussion here somewhere about our manual transmissions and the yellow metals within. It's worth mentioning the wrong gear oil can mess up our synchros. Nothing to worry about with our std diffs though. It's probably worth mentioning that some oils can mess with higher end diffs with posi and/or limited slip. Tim

Van Addict
    My Van(s):
    1986 LE

OK, well my transmission person told me it needs both front and rear bearings. Big job but reasonable for $300 labor. He wants to change out the carriage bearings and spacer at the same time. So while I am waiting for the parts I will jump back on my AC.
    BurnBoot, thanks for the offer, but I think I am just going to get this done unless all these parts are not available. At that time I will decide to use your super oil. He will only use Totyota parts. He told me he wouldn't touch Rocks or any other non brand Toyota part. So I ordered them in and will see if they have them.

Thanks

MT

Van Obsessed
    My Van(s):
    88 4WD DLX 5spd

Glad to hear you're gonna do it right, should be good for another 300K

My Van(s):
    89 4WD, 87 le 4WD, 85 2wd , 87 2wd cargo , 88 2wd cargo. 76 International Harvester school bus,

keep us posted on the parts availability. just revived a 10+ year non runner and the rear end is growly. 250k on odometer. im thinking the heavier synth gear oil to start. hopefully I dont need to tear into it.

Van Addict
    My Van(s):
    1986 LE

Sorry for the delay in response.

All the parts were available . Cost about $270. $250 to install. All the list parts I put up in past mail was installed.

Finally got it done between jobs. Now totally silent.

MT