Thread: Previa Electric door lock switch only unlocks

My Van(s):
    1991 Previa 1992 Previa 2004 Sienna

Previa Electric door lock switch only unlocks

Today I noticed that nothing happens when I try to lock the doors. I can lock them manually and then unlock from door switch. I guess the switch or a plug to switch is bad.
    Does anyone know how to take the switch out without breaking anything? I doubt that it is a fuse problem as it would seem that the whole system would use the same fuse for lock and unlock.
    This is just a little thing but I want to address them as they come up.
    Thanks for any switch removal ideas.
    ‘92 Previa driver side inside door mounted switch.
    I Play for a living and work for fun.

My Van(s):

Re: Previa Electric door lock switch only unlocks

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    I see that no one has replied.
    I really would lke to fix this problem of the locking switch not working.
    It might be the plug or thte swwitch itself. I have another switch on my parts van which is a 1991.
    I don't want to take the entire door liner out if I don't have to. Also I don't want to ty prying up on the edge of the switch and break it. If I knew where to pry or which direction to pry I might be able to do it.
    The Haynes manual (1991 - 1995 Previa) does not address this. The closest it comes is a photo on 11-8 that shows prying the power window switch up.
    If I don't get any info I will have to either practice on the 1992 (daily driver) or practice on the 1991 (parts van) I cannot figure which one to risk breaking by tackling it first.
    Please, someone, give me an idea of how to remove this switch.
    I would be happy to receive a phone call. (337) nine one two - 5089.
    Thank you!
    Duane

My Van(s):

~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Another response from myself:

Truth is stranger than fiction.
    Today the driver side door lock/unlock switch works perfectly but the switch on the passenger side only works to unlock the doors.
    I went to the '91 parts van and there is only a door lock switch on the driver side and it works fine.
    I swapped the '91 fuse with the '92 fuse and the '91 still works fine and the '92 still has no lock function on the driver side switch.
    I guess that tells me that the power source is fine but there is a gremlin within the circuit somewhere.
    I won't know what to do. Unless I hear from someone way smarter than myself I guess I will just live with the problem.
    I can surely live without electric door lock function. The thing is that I have vowed to fix things as they break so there never is a backlog of broken stuff. That seems to be what motivates people to replace vehicles. I'm 67yo and I would like to keep this van as long as possible. We have a 2004 Sienna that my wife mostly uses. I prefer the Previa. When we get old - really old, We will likely keep just one vehicle. I saw my parents drop to one car when they got old. Then they needed no cars, only caskets.
    gee! I sound morbid!

If anyone has any ideas I would be appreciative of any advice or opinions.

thanks.
    Duane

Van Enthusiast
    My Van(s):
    1992 Previa AT LE

Attachment 9957
    (from my '91 parts bin)
    Clippy things fore and aft, so maybe slip a blade-ey thing in from the front or back to push in then lift? Switches in parallel ground one pin or another on either a door relay (non-theft) or theft control module, so your bad-switch theory sounds the most likely.

Van Fan
    My Van(s):
    95 Previa SC, RWD, Auto

Bad switch or 1 bad wire in the bundle. most likely it's the switch though. I haven't had the door apart but the pic man_btc posted sure looks like it just pops out.
    -Russell
    "You don't get to judge me for how I fix what you break"
    -95 Previa SC RWD
    -05 Subaru Baja Turbo, 03 Subaru Baja NA, 01 BMW R1200c, 94 Firebird v8, 70 VW Beetle

My Van(s):

Quote Originally Posted by man_btc View Post
    Attachment 9957
    (from my '91 parts bin)
    Clippy things fore and aft, so maybe slip a blade-ey thing in from the front or back to push in then lift? Switches in parallel ground one pin or another on either a door relay (non-theft) or theft control module, so your bad-switch theory sounds the most likely.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~.

Well ManBTC, now that the right side switch now works and the driver's side doesn't I don't know

Van Enthusiast
    My Van(s):
    1992 Previa AT LE

Drivers side switch can't lock the doors or does nothing at all?

Van Enthusiast
    My Van(s):
    1992 Previa AT LE

Gah. I just realized in my haste I posted a photo of the window switch assembly. Duh.
    I think the lock switches just pop out. You could work a little flat blade screwdriver down and in from the front or back which might help.They're wired in parallel so that they ground one pin or the other on the door lock relay, making the door lock motors run one way or the other. Were you able to remove the right switch? My guess is it may have a loose metal piece inside that is intermittently shorting ground to one of the pins even when it shouldn't be (and keeping that same connection grounded on the other switch as well). Pull the right switch, disconnect it and see if the left works ok.

Sorry for the erroneous photo.