Thread: No power at all!

Van Fan
    My Van(s):
    Toyota 1989 Van Wagon

No power at all!

My 89 van is dead with no signs of dash, lights, etc. I got it jumped the other day and it was cranking but then I heard a weird thump. Then I tried a couple times with a some gas feed, and it started only with my foot pulsating the gas pedal, then shut off. I then turned the key to find out that there is no click, no turn, nothin. Dead. I tested with the volt meter to see if the battery was dead but it read off it was still putting out 12.35. Also the harness attached and wiring were recording the same bolts. Before this all happened my car was only starting with a jump, so I checked the usual suspects like the alternator radiator sparks and batt. The alternator was filled with oil gunk so I just got a new one because I felt it wasn’t doing it’s job powering the batt.

-I just put a new ignition switch not long ago, main relay, and of course alternator.

If there is a thread out there that touches on the subject please let me know, or if you ran into this as well please let me know how you fixed this issue. Thank you for your time.

-Ray

Van Addict
    My Van(s):
    (2) 1989 2WD LE VAN Wagons

Re: No power at all!

Possible blown fusible link its in small case just off the battery. battery should be at 12.6 v fully charged. If you got around needing a jump every time you drove that would kill an alternator in short order not to mention the load on the charge wire from the B+ terminal to the battery and alternator harness this could have over time accelerated the demise of the fusible link

Van Fan
    My Van(s):
    Toyota 1989 Van Wagon

Aswome, I’ll have to take a look at that. Thanks for the heads up!

My Van(s):
    89' TownAce Auto SuperExtra 87' 4x4 5spd LE 87’ 4x4 5spd Cargo

RayVan

You"ll be going thru alternators if your power steering pump is leaking and you may want to address that first, there's threads on the forum that have covered most of the issues your referring to. If you search the forum for each of your symptoms and post in the thread that is closest to your symptom you'll probably get a quicker response from a member in that thread or maybe even find the solution while reading it. This may also help you resolve some other issues while your searching, scrolling, and reading.

Here's an example-

https://www.toyotavantech.com/forum/...ing+fluid+leak

Good luck!!

JDM

Van Fan
    My Van(s):
    Toyota 1989 Van Wagon

Wow, so that’s where the leak is coming from. I knew it was in that area but thought it was the hose. Okay okay now I see what’s happening. Thank you for the thread and heads up!

Ray