Thread: OBD Reader/Converter Pin & Performance/CEL Questions

Forum Newbie
    My Van(s):
    1986 LE

OBD Reader/Converter Pin & Performance/CEL Questions

My '86 Van LE 2WD AT with EFI has an intermittent check engine light (CEL)/performance issue. It happens after the van has been driven 75-100 miles at highway speed (65-75 MPH). I would describe the performance issue as "bogging down" or maybe misfiring. If I vary the speed up/down once the CEL is lit. or go into/out of OD via AT shifter button, I can get EL to go off and return to "more normal" performance. The CEL goes back on if I return to the original speed (65-75 MPH) & original OD setting. If I slow down more significantly(under 55 MPH) CEL goes off & performance is more normal. I typically use the cruise control at highway speed, but that isn't the only time this happens, once the CEL has come on. The problem seems more related to heating up/staying hot or electrical/electronics or maybe both.

That is all back story and low-level diagnostics.

As I understand the early OBD system on my van, the codes are not kept in a history. So when I get to my destination I can't recreate the issue. My initial plan was to try to read the code when it occurs by connected a code reader with a lead of some sort that can be safely seen from driver’s seat area. I have an Ancel AD310 OBDII & EOBD Code Reader. I know this won't work on my van without some adjustment. Maybe it won’t work for my van at all. I think I may need a pin converter to use this kind of reader. I've seen 22-pin to 16-pin converters for Toyotas, but I think that's for later year Toyota models. I have some familiarity with what I would call a pig tail (2 port) connector set up under the hood. The van is in remote storage at the moment, or I would just go check in the engine compartment and take some pictures. Before I head remote and start the diagnosis/repair, I’m trying to prepare for what I might need.

What kind of code reader/lead set up do I need to read the CEL? Can that be safely completed while at highway speed?

Does anyone have other suggestions about what the root cause of the problem could be? Or maybe suggest other diagnostic approaches?

Thanks

Dan

Van Obsessed
    My Van(s):
    1988 4WD LE auto dual range t-case (the mistress) 1988 4WD LE auto(the donut van)

Re: OBD Reader/Converter Pin & Performance/CEL Questions

Quote Originally Posted by 86_LE_MSP View Post
    What kind of code reader/lead set up do I need to read the CEL?
    First off, the search function is your friend.
    Second, your favorite paper clip and this is all you need. Your van does indeed store these codes whether the light is constantly on or only intermittent as in your case. I suspect you'll find an oxygen sensor code.

My Van(s):
    1988 4x4 Van Formerly: 1986 Cargo Van Parted Out: 1989 4x4 Van, 1987 4x4 Van, 1986 Van

Link since you spent all that time typing that out

Seriously though, checking codes is waaayyyy easier than you were making it out to be. Check codes using the link above and report back with the results and we can take it from there.

Good luck

Forum Newbie
    My Van(s):
    1986 LE

Quote Originally Posted by originalkwyjibo View Post
    First off, the search function is your friend.
    Second, your favorite paper clip and this is all you need. Your van does indeed store these codes whether the light is constantly on or only intermittent as in your case. I suspect you'll find an oxygen sensor code.
    Thanks. I'll go get busy with the paper clip.