Thread: Foaming Coolant and puffing idling.

Van Fan
    My Van(s):
    Toyota 1989 Van Wagon

Foaming Coolant and puffing idling.

Hey everyone in Toyotavantech, Ray here again.
    I just fixed the fusible link issue, also blown 30amp relay, also the leak caused by the worn o ring from the power steering pump. Thank you everyone who replied to my post.
    Now I’m faced with what I’m hoping is the final stage of getting my van sailing smooth. So I’m going to write the symptoms of what I’m facing (which seems to point towards a blown gasket), to see if anyone had ran into the same issue I am faced with and could help me out save money and increase my knowledge.

- First, after reassembling everything, the ‘89er starter right up however I noticed it was idling a bit unsteadily (weak) frequently puffing out the exhaust.

-I then proceeded to flush the radiator with running hose water through it and after filling it with that water and auto zone’s radiator flush fluid. Before this I replaced some old crusty hoses and the water looked clean enough for my approval. Filled it up with the 50/50 formula and started it up. Noticed right away the coolant started foaming.

-Drove it around the block, the acceleration is weaker than usual and the exhaust is puffing. no leaks, nothing.

- the oil seems little watery, and measures higher than usual.

Anyways, I wanted to run this through you guys, if anyone has any advice, threads or personal experience, please let me know, trying to get out this city ASAP! Thank you.

-Ray

Van Fan
    My Van(s):
    Toyota 1989 Van Wagon

Re: Foaming Coolant and puffing idling.

Update: So after writing the last post, and scanning the internet looking for solutions. I let it sit for a hour or 2 and started the van with the radiator cap open, and the foaming was not happening any more. I just let it burp out the air until the temperature was about normal, took it for a spin, purchased a new cap and now it seems to be just fine.

will keep you guys updated. Will do compression testing soon.
    Last edited by RayVan; 03-26-2020 at 08:55 PM.

Van Fan
    My Van(s):
    88 4WD 5-Speed LE

Re: Foaming Coolant and puffing idling.

I have been unnecessarily concerned about bubbles when looking into my coolant filler neck with the van running. The easiest way to know for sure whether you have a blown head gasket is to get a cheap coolant gas test kit from the auto parts store.