Thread: Missing Valve

Forum Newbie
    My Van(s):
    1984 Van Wagon LE

Missing Valve

I'm new to working on cars but I've been slowly working on changing all the basic stuff on my 1984 Toyota Van.
    Last time we noticed that there seems to be a valve missing on the engine, as shown in these pictures.
    Does anyone know what that is? Where could I get another one?
    Name:  missingvalve1.jpg
Views: 1051
Size:  89.7 KB
    Name:  missingvalve2.jpg
Views: 967
Size:  94.9 KB

My Van(s):
    1988 4x4 Van Formerly: 1986 Cargo Van Parted Out: 1989 4x4 Van, 1987 4x4 Van, 1986 Van

Re: Missing Valve

Quote Originally Posted by jfenwick View Post
    Last time we noticed that there seems to be a valve missing on the engine, as shown in these pictures.
    Does anyone know what that is? Where could I get another one?
    That's a vacuum switching valve, and it looks like the electrical connector was either burnt or broken off. You should be able to remove it by taking off the two small vacuum hoses attached to it and removing the single 12mm bolt underneath. It'll look like this when it's out:

Report back and let us know the part number and if you can trace back to see where the wires that were supposed to go into it are. I have a set of VSVs and connectors off of a 86 van, which has a different (but very similar) engine to your van but if the part number matches I'll be able to help you out.

Good luck

Van Fan
    My Van(s):
    88 4WD 5-Speed LE

Re: Missing Valve

This excellent thread should tell you everything you need to know. https://www.toyotavantech.com/forum/...tached-diagram
    I believe the valve in question just raises the RPMs to compensate for having the AC on and is perhaps one of the less important air/fuel regulators in the van.