Thread: How not to grease the rear slip yoke on a Previa Alltrac

Van Enthusiast
    My Van(s):
    1992 Previa AT LE

How not to grease the rear slip yoke on a Previa Alltrac

Another Yahoo Previa Group repost - mine - recounting , well, let's call it a learning experience. Fortunately, my "Ohhh..that's how it works" blunder was reversable. And so, for anyone who hasn't done this yet, here's how to avoid turning a quick bit of maintenance into something much more involved.

One thing I would emphasize during any disassembly is to obsessively mark the alignment positions of anything attached to anything else so they can be reassembled as originally found - especially important for spinning things susceptible to becoming unbalanced. At least that's something I tend to be obsessive about so at least I didn't create even more problems after all the extra work. You can see a white paint pen alignment dot in the second photo.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Van Fan
    My Van(s):
    95 Previa SC, RWD, Auto

Re: How not to grease the rear slip yoke on a Previa Alltrac

To add to this, if you add that much grease it's far from the end of the world but it's not good drive with the shaft extended like that. The good news is even if you do, it'll expel the surplus grease out the seal or if you use leverage to compress the shaft.

If you're greasing it regularly, just a few pumps is fine. If you're getting a new to you vehicle it might not be a bad idea to fill it till it pushes all the old crusty neglect out (then re-compress the shaft).
    -Russell
    "You don't get to judge me for how I fix what you break"
    -95 Previa SC RWD
    -05 Subaru Baja Turbo, 03 Subaru Baja NA, 01 BMW R1200c, 94 Firebird v8, 70 VW Beetle